Catanzaro is in Calabria.
Certain traces of the origin of Catanzaro goes to an ancient Greek colony. It is believed, Catanzaro to have been built on the ruins of the ancient city of Trischines. According to legend, Catanzaro was named under the two Byzantine generals Cattaro and Zaro military fortress.
Catanzaro is the capital of Calabria. City civic coat of arms displays three hils: the hill as it was situated on the hill of St. Trifone (now San Rocco), the hill of the Bishop (now Piazza Duomo) and the hill of the Castle (now St. John).
Catanzaro boasts by its beach and fishing port. Nice example, when the city looks like being doubled as it used in all Calabria. At the shore, there is marina and on the higher place, some distance into the inland, there is the main town. So, Catanzaro city is in mountinous area, when Catanzaro Lido (including Marina) is at the sea coast, located between the mouth of the stream Corace and the Casciolino ward.
Lamezia Terme Airport (35 km) Ticket office tel. +39 096 841 4333; Luggage Support tel. +39 096 841 7625; 
Travel from Lamezia Terme Airport to Catanzaro takes more than a half of hour on the way. Bus goes almoust every hour.
Travel from Lamezia Terme Centrale to Catanzaro travel takes more than a half of hour on the way.
Catanzaro is a windy city due to its altitude and position between two seas. Catanzaro even named as the "City between two seas", because it stands on the narrowest place of Italy. On the clear days you can see on the East the Ionian Sea and on the West the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Also, Catanzaro is called the city of the 3 V's:
•Vitaliano (the patron saint),
•Velvets (it was a textile center since Norman times)
•Venti (what means winds) for the breeze form the Sila mountains and the sea.
- Old town. Catanzaro ancient town rises on a rock and split into two parts by the steep Fiumarella valley. These two parts are connected by a huge concrete steel bridge of Viadotto Morandi.
- Catanzaro Bridge, a well-known, one-arch bridge (Viaduct Morandi-Bisantis) is one of the tallest in Europe. This bridge was built in 1962 by architect Riccardo Morandi. Its height from the bottom is 110 meters. It spans over the Fiumaerlla torrent and connects city centre and Strada dei Due Mari. There is a pedestrian walkway on the side of the bridge, where is possible to see very fantastic panoramas.
- Duomo (Cathedral) Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta, Piazza Duomo, 88100 Catanzaro. Built over a Norman cathedral in 1121. In the 16th century it had a Renaissance facade, which was destroyed in 1638. The church was almost destroyed by the bombings of 1943 and later was rebuilt.
- Basilica Minore di Maria SS. Immacolata, Piazza Giuseppe Rossi, 88100 Catanzaro, . It is a place rich of spirituality and often is considered the main place of worship to the patron saint of the city of the three hills. In 1998 it was given the title of Shrine Marian Diocesan.
- Church of the Rosary (Chiesa Santissimo Rosario), Piazza del Rosario 4, 88100 Catanzaro. Built in 15th or 16th century, with Renaissance facade and a single nave interior.
- Church of Sant'Omobono (Chiesa di Sant'Omobono), Via Vincenzo de Grazia, 15/27, 88100 Catanzaro. Legend says that the church was built on the top of the Sun Temple. Church was built in 12th century and preserved its features almost unaltered having single rectangular nave with six arches around the perimeter. Church history is closely linked to the silk art with a clear connection to the processing, trade and sewing art.
- Church dell'Osservanza or Santa Teresa (Chiesa), Piazza Osservanza, 88100 Catanzaro. It was built on the mount Pezzano. It has two altars dedicated to the Holy Crucifix and to Our Lady of Graces. It also contains a painting depicting the ecstasy of Saint Teresa of Avila.
- Gate Agostino (Porta Sant'Agostino), Via Sant'Agostino, 88100 Catanzaro and Porta di Strato, two gate remains in the medieval walls, demolished in 1805. Porta di Strato was located in the district of the same name to the east of the historic center. It was a closed arch gate hidden by the church of Santa Maria della Portella, which served with double function of the place as a worship and a watching post, when in case of danger the bell was rung to warn the citizens about the closing the gate. The path, that climbs from the Musofalo valley and reaches the church is still visible. The name "Stratò" derives from the Greek name meaning occult, hidden.
- Square of Grimaldi (Piazza Grimaldi), city main square named in honor of Grimaldi. All four sides of the square are historic buildings lined with narrow streets and alleyways.
- Square Matteotti (Piazza Matteotti). It is one of the main squares located in the centre of Catanzaro. Famous buildings around are the Corte D’Appello (The Courthouse) with a yellow facade and the City hall. In the niche of the wall, there is a monumental fountain de il Cavatore.
- Remains of the Norman Castle. The castle was surrounded by the walls protected by tall battlements. Castle was used for different aims as military, religious, also as prison or hospital. The tower probably from the 15th century looks over the city. Other remains of the castle were used to build the Cathedral and other nearby churches. The original Norman castle remains stands in the square of Garibaldi. In recent years the monumental complex of St. John has been recovered and used as a museum as well as a venue for exhibitions and cultural events.
- Monumental Complex St. John (Complesso Monumentale del San Giovanni), Piazza Garibaldi, 88100 Catanzaro,. Fountain of "The Quarry" built between 1869 and 1874. It is placed into the wall of the monumental complex of St. John and stands out by the contrast of a bronze sculpture of the working man and the gray granite base from which the water springs. Monumental complex of St. John is located on the area, where the Norman Castle was erected in the 11th century, but later was destroyed. The Galleries of St. John, built on the remains of the Norman Castle (about 1070). The underground is mysterious and oozes walkways of a past, which are still unknown.
- The Museo delle Carrozze with the 21 perfectly restored carriages, hosts in the mansion of barone De Paula. Among the many unique pieces is the carriage used in «Gone with the Wind».
- Art and History Museum (Museo Diocesano), Via Arcivescovado, 3, 88100 Catanzaro, tel. +39 0961 721339, . It is housed in the Archbishop's Palace (Palazzo Arcivescovile) built in 16th century and integrated into the Cathedral complex. It has the famous paintings such as Agony in the Garden, Christ Carrying the Cross and Calvary sculptures. Also, the Diocesan Museum has many tapestries showing all kinds of knots.
- Museum of the Resurgence, Via Pascali 40, 88100 Catanzaro, tel. +39 0961 743691. This museum displays uniforms, photographs, memorabilia, weapons and documents on military theme.
- Rock museum (Museo Del Rock), Via Alessandro Turco, 28, 88100 Catanzaro. It was was founded in 2011 from the music fan collection. The exhibition is organized on two levels.
- Numismatic Museum (Museo Archeologico Numismatico Provinciale di Catanzaro), Piazzale Trieste, 88100 Catanzaro, tel. +39 348 724 6747, .
- Foundation of Mimmo Rotella (Fondazione Mimmo Rotella (La Casa della Memoria)), Vico delle Onde, 7, 88100 Catanzaro, tel. +39 0961 745868,
. Exposition was opened with the aim to promote the contemporary art. The house is created as sacred place, where are displayed works from Rotella's career: photos, memorabilia and specialized library.
- Gipsoteca Francesco Jerace, Via Alessandro Turco, 63, 88100 Catanzaro. It is located inside the Marca, the Museum of the Arts of Catanzaro (Museo delle arti di Catanzaro), where it occupies the ground floor along with the collection of the provincial gallery. It exhibits about 30 plaster and marble works by sculptor Francesco Jerace (1857-1937), donated by his daughters in 1966.
- Palace de' Nobili (Palazzo de' Nobili) built in 15th century, now is Town Hall since 1863. The Palace is located in the southeast of the old town on Jannoni Street, what is next to the Villa Margherita. The original palace was built by Emanuele De Nobili and his wife in the early 19th century.
- Villa Margherita, Via Tripoli, 36, 88100 Catanzaro. The villa was named Villa Margherita, in honor of the Queen. Also, it is called Villa Trieste and stands on the ground, that was of the former Convent of St. Clare. The park is created by by Enrico Andreotti in 1881, gives Villa the appearance of a large terrace, on which opens a beautiful panorama. It features by a plenty of beautiful exotic trees, marble statues and flower arrangements.
- Ferrari-De Riso Palace (Palazzo Ferrari-de Riso), Via dei Coppolari, 88100 Catanzaro. It stands in opposite of the church of St. Omobono and dates back to the late 16th century. It has a very wide and impressive portal. Palace is characterized by mirrored and diamond-tipped elements with particular “curl” decorations. The Ferrari family originated from the Spanish city of Valenza. They arrived to the Kingdom of Naples with the Angioini. The Ferrari-De Riso palace reflects the remakes from the 18th century, when the palace was suffered by the earthquakes. In the 1800s, due to hereditary reasons, a part of the palace was divided into the various housing units, constructing the access through the balconies.
- Palazzo Mancusi. The building stands on the ancient road called Casali. Palace belongs to the noble family of Cicala. Part of the building, formerly belonging to the Pascali family, was purchased in 1900 by Benedetto Mancusi, where he settled with his family. Building undergone different additions during the several construction phases. Ground floor area shows the remains of a 13th century convent. Interior has low room ceilings and the large thickness of the walls. On the rusticated stone arch is situated Mancusi family coat of arms, while the wooden portal is preserved together with ornamental elements of iron.
- Bellavista's balcony. Follow the street Via Nuova. It is one of the border points of the old town with a breathtaking panorama, that opens the entire Ionic coast and that was a most favorite destination of the rich young British aristocrats in 17th century. It was the time of the "Grand Tour" across the continental Europe including a stop in the south of Italy in Calabria. During these trips many writers, artists and travelers were astonished by the views of Catanzaro so much, that called them "the queen of panoramas".
- Fountain of Santa Caterina (Fontana di Santa Caterina), Piazza Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour, 88100 Catanzaro. Monumental fountain was built at the end of the 19th century. It was created by the sculptor Mathurin Moreau.
- Park of Mediterranean Biodiversity, Via Cortese Vinicio, 1, 88100 Catanzaro.
- Catanzaro Lido. Tower (torre) Toninin (chimney of earlier factory Ledoga). Before WWII this factory produced acid for fixing textile color. Now this place is a site of an industrial archeology and became one of the symbols of Catanzaro Lido. The tower is located in the centre of the teritory and dominates over the local landscape with the height of 30 meters. During the night it is illuminated and is accessible from the southern entrance for all wanting to get in.
- Catanzaro Lido. At the coastline stands an impressive Anchor (Ancora) monument.
- Catanzaro Lido Station Bridge.
- Catanzaro Lido. Circular buoy marina.
- Tower Cavallara or Knight's tower (Torre Cavallara). It is 5 km from Catanzaro Lido. Tower is dating back to 16th century and is typical part of fortification system around all Calabria.
- Catanzaro Lido. In 1960 the marina district was titled to Catanzaro Lido and took directory towards politics of tourism. This beautiful coastal resort is a fantastic place to relax, enjoy the sun and the Ionian Sea. The beach contains of sand with some pebbles and is served by equipped bathing establishments, also, is posible to rent cabanas, deckchairs, umbrellas or do the most popular water sports. edit
- Events in Catanzaro, . *Naka, Good Friday Procession
*Catanzaro Peperoncino Jazz in May
*Feast of St. Joseph on 1st May in the Piano Casa district
*Bread festival on June 13 at the Chiesa del Monte
*Feast of San Vito from 13 to 15 June, Catanzaro Marina
*Feast of Ssan Vitaliano on July 16th
*Feast of Our Lady of Porto Salvo on the last Sunday of July
*San Lorenzo Fair from 5 to 10 August
*Marinfest music review in August and September
*Feast of Maria SS. delle Grazie on the 1st Sunday of September
*Feast of Our Lady of Heaven on the 3rd Sunday of September
*Grape Festival and Wine Fair the 2nd week of September
*September at the Biodiversity Park
*Spicy night the last week of September
*Autumn festival from September to December, Casalinuovo Auditorium
*Catanzarock in the autumn
*Exhibition of the cribs in December. edit
- Pietragrande Beach. This beach features by golden sands, that passes as far as the coastal town of Soverato Marina. If you want a quieter beach experience, this is the right place to come there. edit
- Politeama Theatre, . The stage is multifunctional and allows the performance of various genres of show. edit
- Promenade, park and the beach of Giovino. Catanzaro Lido is the coastal district of Catanzaro: located about 15 km south from the city center and stretches for about 5 km along the Ionic coast. It boasts by a pine park of Giovino (Pineta di Giovino), which streches for kilometers as a parallel to the beach. The neighborhood has a 2 km promenade along, which are the numerous catering centres, bars, nightclubs and hotels. edit
Catanzaro shops offer excellent local cookies shopping.
- Amici Miei, Discesa S. Rocchello 4, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 0961 784474. edit
- Bacchus, Viale dei Normanni, 28, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 0961 753013. Seafood restaurant edit
- Basho Sushi Fusion, Via Enrico de Seta, 1, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 391 368 3344. edit
- Bounty Killer, Via Lungomare Stefano Pugliese, 359, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 0961 738470. edit
- Chiricò Pizzeria, Via Indipendenza, 57, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 0961 061626. Take away edit
- Giapponese Tipanan, Via Sant'Elena, 42, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ + 39 388 649 1778, . Japanese restaurant edit
- Kesa's, Via Martiri di Cefalonia, 4, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 0961 391400, . edit
- La Tana Public House, Via Murano, 12, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 338 637 0031, . edit
- Porta Marina, Corso Giuseppe Mazzini, 325, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 172 6007. Pizzeria-restaurant edit
- Topolino Di Currao Raffaele, Via Vincenzo de Grazia, 13, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 102 2024. Pizzeria edit
- Trattoria In Vino Veritas, Via delle Repubbliche Marinare, 34, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ 39 331 214 3575. Restaurant edit
- Biafora Salvatore, Piazza Fratelli Bandiera, 5, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 172 3854. bar edit
- Irish-Pub, Via XX Settembre, 19, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 172 6794. edit
- Mignon, Corso Giuseppe Mazzini, 119, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 174 1000. bar edit
- Paddy's Irish Pub, Via Lungomare Stefano Pugliese, 57, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 096 131 457. edit
- Principato Mario, Via Enrico de Seta, 114, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 177 2037. bar edit
- Altavilla, Via Italia, 33, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 172 7627, . hotel edit
- Best Western Plus Hotel (Perla del Porto), Via Martiri di Cefalonia, 64, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 096 136 0325, . edit
- Casa Ponziana, Via Milano, 13, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 338 431 1989, . B&B edit
- Di fronte ospedale civile, Viale Papa Pio X, 154, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 349 373 7911, . B&B edit
- Guglielmo, Via Azaria Tedeschi, 1, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 096 174 1922, . hotel edit
- Il Vicoletto, Vicolo VI Poerio, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 338 870 3993, . B&B edit
- La Collina Dei Poeti, Traversa VIII Viale Crotone, N.25, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 333 233 3204. B&B edit
- Niagara, Viale Crotone, 170, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 096 131 697, . hotel edit
- Porta di Mare, Discesa Porta Marina, 88100 Catanzaro, ☎ +39 338 930 2789. B&B edit
- Villa Roberta, Viale Europa, 88100 Catanzaro Lido, ☎ +39 096 134 281. B&B edit
Villages around Catanzaro:
- Cropani. The Archaeological Antiquarium Museum. The Cathedral and other smaller churches. The Ancient Gate. Colucci and Forty Palaces. Palazzo De Paola.
- Cupe valleys (Riserva naturale delle Valli Cupe), Sersale. Located at the foot of the Silano plateau, with enchanting waterfalls, canyons, breathtaking views of gorges and cliffs, the charm of waterfalls and streams, numerous monumental trees and a flora and fauna heritage, the Riserva delle Valli Cupe can be considered among the most fascinating and evocative nature sites of the Italian peninsula. It is necessary to reach Sersale if you want to visit the Reserve, in particular the Valli Cupe Area. Here is the CIT (Tourist Information Center), where visitors find an operator, who provides with all the useful information for visiting the various natural sites..
- Campanaro Waterfall (Cascata Campanaro). You can find this natural phenomenon approximately one hour to the north east of the city between the towns of Zagarise and Cipino. The waterfall is about 22 meters high. It is cascadic waterfall and water falls down into a shallow pool and stream.
- Lake Arvo (Lago Arvo). It is man-made lake, which was built to serve as a hydroelectric power station. Also, for your activity there are many hiking trails around the the lake.
- Museum of peasant civilization (Museo della civiltà contadina) Vico V Castle, Serrastretta, tel. +39 0968 81001, [email protected] libero.it.The Museum collects work tools from the crafts and daily use of the peasant civilization, with original reconstructions of domestic and working environments of farmers and craftsmen. On display are carpentry and chairs manufacture tools. Serrastretta's most famous handmade artifacts.
- Capo Rizzuto. Archaeological remains add great charm to the experience. In Capo Rizzuto stands the tower and lighthouse overlooking the bay, which is one of the most beautiful places to visit. The transparent waters of the sea are rich in flora and fauna, sea turtles, dolphins and sea grass.
- Le Castella. Medieval Aragonese castle is recognized by all for its beauty. The castle was fully restored in 2001. There were filmed even some films.
- Campolongo beach
- Praialongo village is located in the marine reserve of Isola Capo Rizzuto, which can be visited daily on the boat with the transparent bottom.
- San Leonardo di Cutro beach
- Botricello beach
- Cropani Marina Tower (torre) del Crocchio
- Sellia Marina. Churches. Lambretta Museum, where are some stunning examples of scooters. 50 years ago the huge popularity had Lambretta and Vespa vehicles.
- Catanzaro Lido
- Roccelletta. Scolacium Archaeological Park and Museum. The ruins of buildings from Byzantine, Greek and Roman eras are situated in a huge olive plantation. Also, it is possible to see sections of Roman roads, aqueducts, spas, mausoleums and even an impressive amphitheatre.
- Silk art museum (Museo della Seta), Via Regina Elena, 7, 88021 San Floro, tel. +39 320 896 8663, . Cataranzo area is famous for its silk industry for very long time.
- Squillace. Norman castle (il Castello Normanno). Il Duomo (the duodenum). Devil's bridge (Ponte del Diavolo).
- Caminia beach.
- Montepaone. Mary S.S. Immaculate church. Piazza Immaculata. The Elm Tree of Freedom.
- Soverato. Archaeological site of "Old Soverato". Archaeological area of Poliporto. The Sicule Tombs. Turrazzo (Torre di Carlo V°) tower. Church of Maria Santissima Sorrows. Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. Santicelli Botanical Garden.
- San Sostene. Old town.
- Isca Marina, village next to Sant' Andrea dell'Jonio Marina.
- Badolato. Ruins of the Ravaschieri castle walls. Medieval town. Churches.
- Santa Caterina dello Ionio beach.
- Guardavalle Marina beach.
- Monasterace Marina. Promenade. Ancient city Kaulonia and Doric temple remains. Museo Archelogico di Monasterace, C.da Runci s.n.c, 89040 Monasterace, tel. +39 340 074 2442, 
- Guardavalle. The "Cuttura" residence. Few kilometre from Guardavalle is Castle (castello) San Fili with panoramic sea views.
- Cape Stilo is located 13 km from the main town, where the Battle of Punta Stilo took place in 1940. Lighthouse.
- Monasterace. Upper Monasterace: medieval castle, Cathedral.
- Higher Monasterace: monumemt of Calvary, church, wall parts and towers. Museum of Peasant Civilization.
- Stilo. La Cattolica di Stilo. Cathedral. Duomo. Churches. Norman Castle. The Fountain of the Dolphins.
- Pazzano. Valley (Vallata) dello Stilaro. Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Stella is an Italian hermitage, sited in a natural cave on the mount Stella.
- Bivongi medieval town offers the tourist many monuments crowned by landscapes and a maze of alleyways, steps and staircases leading to the houses perched one above the other. Bivongi is crossed by the rivers of Stilaro and Melodani and lies at the foot of mount Consolino. All town is full of history, art and traditions. Ecomuseum of the iron-works and iron-foundries of Calabria. Outside the town, some kilometers away is famous Greek orthodox monastery of San Giovanni Theristis.