Caorle is a coastal town in the province of Venice, in the region of Veneto, Italy. Caorle is one of the most important touristic resort of northeastern Italy. Not only is it famous for its beach but also for the natural landscape that surrounds the town.
The origin of Caorle dates back to the 1st century b.C when it was inhabited by descendants of the ancient venetic people (so-called paleoveneti). It grew during the Roman Empire as it was close to famous and important towns such as Iulia Concordia (today Concordia Sagittaria) and close to the consular Roman road Via Annia.
Autostrada A4 Venezia-Trieste, exit at San Stino di Livenza 20kms from Caorle.
Closest airport is Marco Polo airport in Venice. Some low-cost companies land in Treviso's airport Antonio Canova.
The closest train stations are in San Dona' di Piave and Portogruaro both connected to Caorle by ATVO buses.
The town is quite small and the beach is easily reachable. Just walk around and enjoy the charme of this old typical venetian town.
- St Stephen's Cathedral (Cattedrale di Santo Stefano), Piazza Vescovado (old town). This is the oldest monument in Caorle and it's a great example of the typical romanesqe church. Its main feature, and Caorle's symbol, is the cylindrical bell tower which is almost 50 metres high. The church was built around the year 1038 on the ruins of an older early Christian basilica probably from the 6th or 7th century. The outside looks simple but the interior is full of beautiful frescoes and sculptures. edit
- The Shrine of Our Lady of the Angel (Santuario della Madonna dell'Angelo). Church and its bell tower overlooking the sea, on the east end of the cliff. There are many legends and miracles connected with this place. It is worth taking a walk from the town to go there and enjoy the beautiful view. edit
- Golf Pra delle Torri, Viale Altanea, 201, ☎ +39 0421.299570 ([email protected], fax: +39 0421.299570), . 18 holes golf course. edit
- Ristorante Al Fogher, Via Madonna Dell'Angelo 3, ☎ +39 0421 81868, . Established in 1969, traditional cuisine (mainly fish). edit
- Agriturismo Di la dal Fiume, Strada Briana Mare 30 Caorle, ☎ +390421299713, . Beautiful farmhouse only 3 km from the beach. Rooms and flats, swimming pools, huge garden. Ideal for families with kids. edit
- Hotel All'Orologio, Via del Quadrante 2, ☎ +39 0421 81913, . 3 stars hotel close to the beach. Restaurant, bar, friendly atmosphere. Only 500 from Caorle marina. edit
- Pra delle Torri, Viale Altanea, 201, ☎ +39 0421.299445 ([email protected]), . Holiday centre with hotel, apartments, camping village. edit