Calexico is a city in Imperial County in California, located just across the U.S.-Mexican border from Mexicali.
Calexico is located at the southern end of Highway 111, and in the middle of Highway 78 E-W. From San Diego, take I-8 to Highway 78; the trip lasts about two hours.
For private pilots, Calexico International Airport (ICAO: KCXL) is a common place for traveling to and from Baja to file customs and entry forms.
Imperial Airport (ICAO: KIPL) offers a few commercial flights, but is primarily general aviation; most commercial passengers would travel through San Diego or Yuma and rent a car.
Calexico is served by Greyhound from Los Angeles (around 6 hours) or San Diego (around 4 hours).
- Most visitors to Calexico arrive on foot from the sister city Mexicali. From downtown Calexico it's a short walk to the border crossing and several tourist areas on the other side. U.S. citizens do not require a passport for short trips to the border area of Mexico.
- A few miles west of Calexico on Highway 98 is the Mount Signal Cafe. This small cantina is owned by a former female professional bullfighter.
- Rubin No. II, five to six blocks south of 98 and one block west of Imperial (CA 111) lies a small hole in the wall Mexican and Chinese restaurant on Emerson Street.
- Best Western John Jay Inn, 2421 Scaroni Rd, ☎ +1 760 768-0442 (fax: +1 760 768-1733), . edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 2501 Scaroni Rd, ☎ +1 760 768-6048, . edit
- Mexico, 408 Heber Ave, ☎ +1 760 357-3863 (fax: +1 760 357-6284), . edit