Caherciveen, also called Cathair Saidhthin in Irish Gaelic or Cahersiveen, is a small town on the north shore of the Iveragh Peninsula in County Kerry, Southwest Ireland.
The ruins of Ballycarbery Castle.
The community is located on the N70 highway approximately 60 kilometres from Killarney on the Ring of Kerry. Bus Eireann  provides two buses daily between Caherciveen and Killarney from September to May and three buses from June - September. From Killarney you can continue to all destinations in Ireland through continued service with Bus Eirann or with Irish Rail .
The nearest airport is Kerry Airport (Fáilte Go hAerfort Chiarraí in Irish), approximately 65 kilometres. Bus Eireann route 14 picks passengers up at the airport before continuing to Killarney where you can switch buses to Caherciveen. Kerry Airport is serviced by Ryan Air and Aer Lingus Regional.
This is a one road town, so once you arrive, you can walk everywhere.
There are a couple of sites in the immediate area worth visiting:
- Cahergall and Leacanabuaile stone forts are within sight of the Castle. One of them has been completely restored, with wide walls to walk on and even small chambers inside the dry-stone walls.
- Ballycarbery Castle. is along the road heading to the northwest from town. It is long abandoned and there isn't that much left. However, there are still intact stairways and a large chamber partially underneath the hill. It's well worth seeing, if only to climb around it. It is approximately 3 kilometres from Caherciveen town site to Ballycarbery Castle. (51.948862,10.258656) edit
- The Old Barracks. Another unusual building of interest in Cahersiveen is the old Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) barracks. The old barracks now a heritage centre, was designed and constructed between 1869 and 1871. According to various old stories the barracks was built from the plans for another British barracks in India, which got mixed up. edit
- Daniel O'Connel Memorial Church, Church Street. In the centre of Cahersiveen you will find the Daniel o’ Connel memorial church. Built between 1888 – 1902 this church is the most dominant feature/landmark in the town. It is one of the few catholic churches in the world dedicated to a lay person (Daniel O’ Connel) . It is constructed of Northern Irish granite (Co. Down) and built in a combination of gothic revivalist and medieval style architecture. The laying of a marble slab which serves as the cornerstone took place in 1888. This marble block is very special as it was a gift from Pope Leo XIII sourced from the catacombs in Rome. edit
- Caherciveen is close to Portmagee, the main starting point for a trip to Skellig Michael.
Joeys Fast Food Excellent Service Excellent Food
Caherciveen is home to numerous pubs, all along Main Street.
- The Townhouse Lounge, Main Street. edit
- O'Driscol, Main Street. edit
- Bowlers, Main Street. edit
- Shebeen, Main Street. edit
- Mike Murts, Main Street. edit
- The UN Bar, Main Street. Now closed for renovations edit
- Kerry Coast Inn, 8 Church Street, ☎ 0669472217. edit
- Kelly's Bar, Church Street. edit
- King of Beers, Main Street. edit
- Fertha Bar, Main Street. edit
- Harp Bar, Main Street. edit
- Cráineen's Bar, Main Street. edit
- Anchor Bar, Main Street. edit
- Keating, Main Street. edit
- O'Shea Bar, Main Street. edit
- An Bannan Bui, Main Street. edit
- Tom's Tavern, Main Street. edit
- la dolce vita (italian restaurant), church street, ☎ 0669470011. 12. edit
- Sive Hostel, 15 East End, (At the far east end of the only major street through the town), 066 947 2717 (€11). This small town, independent hostel is a pleasant place to stop for a night. There are several pubs within staggering distance worth checking out and the atmosphere is friendly and sociable.
- Mannix Point Camping and Caravan Park Cahirciveen, Ring of Kerry Coast Road,Co. Kerry, Telephone +353 (0)66 9472806, a beautiful campsite situated directly at the seashore.
- Kerry Coast Inn, 8 Church Street, ☎ + 353 66 9472217, . Located above Frank's Pub on the main street in Caherciveen. The price includes a full Irish breakfast. €35-70. edit