Bowie is a city in Prince George's County, Maryland, within the United States of America.
Bowie began in the 1870's as it was the location of the intersection of two major railways. The city is named after Oden Bowie, the President of the Baltimore & Potomac Railroad at the time. Belair at Bowie was developed by William Levitt, the developer of the famous Levittown.
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI) is located 20 miles southwest of Bowie via MD197 and MD295.
- Washington Reagan National Airport (IATA: DCA) is located 23 miles southwest of Bowie via US 50 (through Washington, D.C.).
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) is located 45 miles west of Bowie via the Capital Beltway.
MARC operates train service on its Penn Line to/from Baltimore and Washington, D.C..
MetroBus B27 operates service to/from the New Carrollton Metro Station. For more information on riding the Metrorail and Metrobus, see Washington DC#Get_In.
Bowie is best navigated by car.
The Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Trail runs through the northern part of Bowie and there are various other networks of bike paths and on-street bike routes.
Unfortunately, Route 50 bisects the city and has few bike-friendly crossings.
- Belair Mansion, ☎ (301) 860-0269, . Built in 1745 by Samuel Ogle, the provincial governor of Maryland, the mansion serves today as an historical museum operated by the city. edit
- Belair Stable Museum, (A block from the Belair Mansion), . Most of modern-day Bowie was once a stud farm where champion thoroughbred race horses were born and raised. The Belair Stables operated for roughly 200 years and is famous for producing two Triple Crown champions (Gallant Fox and Omaha). edit
- Bowie Railroad Museum, 8614 Chestnut Ave, ☎ 301-809-3089, . Tu-Su 10AM-4PM. Free. edit
- John Wayne Museum, 6870 Race Track Road. Bill Atkins, an extra in The Flying Leathernecks, has turned his office into a shrine. edit
- National Capital Radio & Television Museum, 2608 Mitchellville Rd, ☎ 301 390-1020, . Fr 10AM-5PM, Sa-Su 1PM-5PM. Free. edit
- Allen Pond Park, 3330 Northview Dr., ☎ 301-809-3011, . Many locals incorrectly refer to this park as Allen's Pond. It is a city park featuring a small lake with canoe rentals and fishing, amphitheater for summer outdoor performances, and the Bowie ice skating rink. edit
- Bowie Baysox Minor Leasgue Baseball at Prince George's Stadium, . edit
Some of the antique shops in Old Town may be worth your time.
- Bowie Town Center, 15606 Emerald Way, . Shopping featuring over 70 stores, anchored by Macy's. edit
- Free State Shopping Center, Annapolis Road and Superior Ln, . 279,000 square foot shopping center. edit
- Grace's Fortune, 15500 Annapolis Road # 115 (Free State Mall), ☎ (301) 805-1108, . An excellent choice for Chinese food in Bowie. edit
- Ichiban Sushi, 3921 Evergreen Parkway, Bowie, ☎ 301-352-9160 (fax: 301-352-9136), . Su-Th 11AM-10PM F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Try the "Sushi Red & White", or for non-sushi eaters, the Chinese menu. edit
- Lima's Chicken, 3552 Crain Hwy, ☎ 301-464-5370, . M-F 10:30AM-10PM, Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Peruvian charbroiled chicken. edit
- Rip's Country Inn, 3809 Crain Hwy (US 301 at the MD 197 intersection). Not one of the too-many plastic chain restaurants that infect Bowie. Rip's has served Bowie with casual dining for more than 50 years edit
- T.J. Elliott's, 6814 Laurel-Bowie Road (Rte. 197 & Old Chapel Road), ☎ 301.262.6282, . Su 8:30AM-10PM, M-Th 11AM-10PM, Fr 11AM-11PM, Sa 8:30AM-11PM. Owned by the Marcos family that started the original Ledo restaurant in College Park, T.J. Elliott's serves tasty Italian food in addition to Ledo pizza. edit
- DuClaw Brewing Company, 4000 Town Center Blvd (in Bowie Town Center), ☎ 301-809-6943, . Su-Th 11AM-Mid F-Sa 11AM-12:30AM. Makes their own beer. Good food as well. edit
- Old Bowie Town Grille, 8604 Chestnut Avenue, ☎ 301-464-8800, . Tu-Su, 11AM to late. Closed Mondays.. edit
- Glory Days Grill, 15505 Annapolis Rd, ☎ (301) 805-5299, . Sports bar edit
- Comfort Inn and Suites Bowie, 4500 Crain Hwy (US 301 at US 50), ☎ (301) 464-0089, . edit
- Hampton Inn Bowie, 15202 Major Lansdale Blvd (near US 50 and MD 197), ☎ (301) 809-1800, . edit
- Rip's Country Inn, (US 301, 1 mile south of US 50), ☎ (301) 805-5901, . edit
- TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center, 3700 Town Center Blvd (near US 50 and MD 197), ☎ (301) 262-8045, . edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!