Bomarzo is a small town in northern Lazio in Italy, famous for its park of stone monsters.
The leaning house at Bomarzo
From the Rome-Florence A1 Autostrada leave at Attigliano and follow signs to Bomarzo.
- Park of the Monsters (Parco dei Mostri), Località Giardino, 01020 Bomarzo VT (From Viterbo: Located 20 km. along the highway Viterbo-Orte, exit Bomarzo. Highway A1: exit Attigliano, Bomarzo direction), . Bomarzo's main attraction is a garden usually referred to as the Sacred Grove or Monsters' Grove. It contains many strange larger-than-life sculptures, sculpted in the large lumps of volcanic rock that littered the area. It was put together by Pier Francesco Orsini in the 1570s. The many monstrous statues have, in their time, entertained princes and princesses and provided inspiration for poets, novelists and painters, including Salvador Dali. There is even an opera called “Bomarzo”. During the 19th century and into the 20th the garden became overgrown and neglected, but in the 1970s a program of restoration was carried out. The garden is today a major tourist attraction and is guaranteed to entertain children who may be getting a bit fed up with medieval hill towns. Statues and fountains include Pegasus, Hannibal’s Elephants, an Orc, a dragon attacked by dogs, a turtle with a giant woman on its back, a two-tailed mermaid, a giant and Aphrodite, an ogre’s head as the “Mouth of Hell” and many more. There is also a strange little house which leans sharply to one side and is great fun to go inside. Carvings of acorns are all over the place, presumably a reference to the Della Rovere family that owned the local castle (Rovere meaning oak in Italian). The park is open from 08.00 until sunset all year. Closed on Mondays. Admission is 9 Euros with children between 4 and 8 paying 7 Euros edit
- Palazzo Orsini, Via borghese (town centre), . 9-13, 15-17 In summer time: 9-13, 16-18. You can visit the Orsini Palace from March to December, Saturday, Sunday and holidays. The palace was first built in the 16th century. edit
The park has a souvenir shop.
There is a small restaurant attached to the park and a selection of restaurants in the nearby town.
- Piccolo Mondo, Via Madonna del Piano, 27, ☎ +39 0761 924161. Traditional cuisine edit
- Agriturismo Le Querce, Località Fossatello, Via Pontone Lucia 31, Bomarzo (VT), ☎ +39 0761 924299 ([email protected]), . Farmhouse and hotel near Parco dei Mostri. Single room from 45€. edit
- Bed & Breakfast La Casa Del Sole, Via della Rupe, 1, ☎ +39 377 984 8945 ([email protected]), . edit
Bomarzo is very close to many other beautiful towns and villages of central Italy, all between northern Lazio, southern Umbria, and Tuscany.
- Viterbo - town of Etruscan origin, it was one of the most important European cities during the Middle Age.
- Narni - a hill town close to the geographical center of Italy Like many towns in the area, Narni features an impressive medieval appearance.
- Orvieto - another city of Etruscan origin and one of the most important art heritage cities in Italy.
- Lake Bolsena - the largest volcanic lake in Italy, well worth a visit
- Tarquinia - the Etruscan necropolis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The thermal baths in Saturnia, Tuscany