Bochnia is a town of 30,000 inhabitants situated on the river Raba in Lesser Poland Voivodeship, southern Poland. It is one of the oldest towns in the Lesser Poland Lowland, located around 40 kilometres southeast of the provincial capital, Kraków. Bochnia is most noted for its salt mine, the oldest functioning of its kind in Europe, operating since the middle of 13th century. Today, the mine now opened mainly for touristic reasons. In 2010, the Bochnia Salt Mine was listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Bochnia's old town retains a magical, medieval atmosphere with its historic urban layout.
There are very good bus connections between Bochnia and all of its nearest large cities. Bochnia is located on the A4 motorway, providing easy connections by car and bus with Kraków, Katowice, Tarnów, Rzeszów, and Przemyśl. Buses from Kraków will usually cost 5-6 PLN.
Trains to and from Kraków leave every hour and cost around 10 PLN (depending on the kind of train).
- Bochnia Salt Mine From the middle of 13th century, smaller than Wieliczka's one, but not less interesting. Called sometimes underground town because of its size. Chambers measure 4,5 kilometres in length at 16 different levels. One of the chambers was converted into a sanatorium and you can spend a night there inhaling salt or something. Ticket to the mine is around 30 PLN, for a night stay 60 PLN (night stay include additional attractions like a ride an underground train or 140 metre chute). There is also a restaurant supposedly located lowermost in the world.
- St. Nicholas Basilica built in 15th, rebuilt in 17th century, the oldest church in Bochnia
- Old town
- Statue of Casimir III of Poland
- Old catholic cemetery at Oracka Street
- Jewish cemetery
- railway station
- Galeria Bocheńska (shopping center), Plac Świętej Kingi 1, ☎ +48146116794, . 09:00-20:00. here it is also a restaurant, café, pharmacy ... (49.96943,20.42928) edit
- Pharmacy 24h Remedium, Plac Świętej Kingi 1, ☎ +48146116722, . in a shopping center "Galeria Bocheńska" edit
- Salina Restaurant, Plac Świętej Kingi 1, ☎ +48146135311, . 12:00-22:00. edit
- Ciachomania Cafe, Plac Świętej Kingi, 1, ☎ 146116899, . 07:30-20:00. edit
There are few hotels in and around Bochnia
- hotel Zalesie. Object located 1 km from the center, free WiFi, restaurant
- Zakątek Solny. Object in town center, free WiFi
- Gościniec Salton. Place located 1,5 km from center, free WiFi, restaurant
- Łapczyca — The place with a cave self-drilled by hermit-preppers. It's called Pustelnika cave.