The Bijagos Islands is an archipelago in Guinea-Bissau.
The archipelago is made up of eighteen major islands and a dozen more smaller ones.
- Bubaque - Most populated island of the archipelago.
- Orango Grande - Orango is famous for its salt water hippos!
- João Vieira and Poilão - Best islands for turtle spotting!
- Keré - Keré is a tiny island between Caravela and Carache. No people live on the island, there is only a single hotel . Fishing trips and visits to villages in Caravela and Carache can be arranged. To go there, contact the hotel, which will be able to arrange transport from Bissau.
Once a week, a boat departs from the port of Bissau to the island of Bubaque. Departure times depend heavily on the tides, but are often Friday or Saturday. Tickets can be bought at the port of Bissau before departure.
This boat is an old Russian or Eastern European barge, originally meant for the transportation of vehicles. In its new life in Guinea Bissau, it's a passenger and cargo ferry. The lower (vehicle) deck is used to store cargo, among which third class passengers have to find a spot. Second class passengers can sit on the open upper deck (covered with tarps) on top of the wheelhouse, providing great views of the ocean and the islands along the traveled route.
- Les Dauphins, (Bubaque), ☎ +33 (0)1 42 89 32 64, . edit
- Kasa Afrikana, (Bubaque), . edit
- Le Cadjoco, (Bubaque), . edit
- Orango Park Hotel, (Orango Grande), . edit
- Chez Claude, (João Vieira). 245-6179577; 245-6661037; edit
- Decouverte, (Keŕe), . edit
- Le Tubaron, (Rubane). edit
- Lodge Ponta anchaca, (Rubane). edit
- Hotel Acunda, (Acunda). there is a fishing lodge at Acunda - basic facilities, good fishing boats and skippers - excellent base for fishing the outermost islands and marks. fishing trips booked through www.worldsportsfishing.com for uk anglers edit
- AFRICA PRINCESS, I. of Canhabaque ([email protected]), ☎ +221776457526, . checkin: flights in; checkout: flights out. The AFRICA PRINCESS is a motorized catamaran with 4 cabins with independent WC and air conditioning, that tours the two Bijagos National Parks every week in the dry season . With a set of 5 boats and good skippers, is ideal for itinerant fishing, nature and ethnic tours. (11.228,-15.700) edit