Big White Ski Resort, usually referred to simply as Big White, is a Canadian ski resort located 56 km (35 mi) southeast of Kelowna, in the Central Okanagan area of the Okanagan/Shuswap Valley in British Columbia interior. It is the second largest resort in British Columbia after Whistler (also known as Whistler-Blackcomb), making it one of the larger resorts in North America.
Big White is located in the Okanagan Valley region of British Columbia, in Canada. The mountain summit is at 2,319 m (7,608 ft) with a vertical drop of 777 m (2,549 ft), serviced by 16 lifts. The mountain receives 750 cm of annual snowfall. It has 2,765 acres (11 km²) of patrolled area of a total of 7,355 acres (30 km²) skiable. With 38 acres of night skiing, Big White has western Canada's largest resort night skiing area. It has a central village which comprises accommodation, eateries, bars and shops. The village is 1,755 m (5,758 ft) above sea level. Big White Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the southern Monashees, with well over 100 marked runs.
Big White Ski Resort is 56 km (35 mi) South East of Kelowna, the largest city in the Okanagan Valley.
- From Kelowna, follow Highway 33 for 32 km (20 mi) until you reach Big White Road. Another 24 km (15 mi) and you will arrive in the main village.
- From Vancouver, BC - 438 km (273 mi) - 4.5 hrs via Hwy 97C
- From Seattle, WA - 560 km (350 mi) - 6 hrs via Hwy 97C
- From Spokane, WA - 453 km (238 mi) - 4.5 hrs via Hwy 395
- From Silver Star Ski Resort - 130 km (59 mi) - 2 hrs via Hwy 97 / 33
To get to Big White, you can also fly into Kelowna International Airport, then drive from there (see above).
See & Do
Aside from the amazing ski hills, there is a lot to do at Big White. While Big White is known for its winter sports, including downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, tubing, ice skating, sleigh rides and even dog sledding, there is no shortage of things to do in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Since Big White is in the Okanagan Valley, there are many non-winter activities to take part in, such as winery tours, hiking and mountain biking, to name but a few.
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
Big White has no shortage of places to eat within the village.
Here's a short list of places to eat at Big White:
- Kettle Valley Steakhouse and Wine Bar
- Ride the gondola to Happy Valley where you’ll find delectable cuisine in relaxed surroundings, and a stylish wine bar offering world-renowned Okanagan wines.
- Swiss Bear
- Located in the Chateau Big White in the heart of the Big White village, the Swiss Bear is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Famous for their mouth watering European cuisine and delicious fondues.
- Frank’s Chinese Laundry Restaurant
- Located in the Whitefoot Lodge, Frank’s Chinese Laundry offers a wonderful Chinese dining experience. With a lunchtime buffet great for getting back on the slopes quickly.
- The Copper Kettle Grill
- Located slope side in the White Crystal Inn, The Copper Kettle Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The Underground Pizzeria
- Located in the lower level of the Village Centre Mall and featuring mouthwatering pizza for eat-in or take-out. Delivery is also available.
- Ridge Rocket Café
- Serving hearty breakfasts, daily homemade soups, fresh salads & baked goods as well as burgers and fries. Located at the base of the Ridge Rocket and Plaza chairs.
- Gem Lake Café
- Located at the Westridge Warming Hut. Great coffee, fresh sandwiches and baked goods.
- Sessions Taphouse & Grill, #20 Kettle View Road, ☎ 250-765-1375, . 8am-1am. Sessions is a pub with a conscience, focusing on locally sourced, sustainable ingredients, craft beer and fusion BBQ. Open for early morning 'Rise & Shine' made to order breakfast, lunch and dinner. Come Eat, Drink, Hang at Big White edit
Since Big White is such an active place all year round, there are many places to unwind after a day on the slopes or a day mountain biking in the woods. Here's a short list of places to have a drink and relax after being outside all day:
- Snowshoe Sam’s
- Sam’s has great pub atmosphere. Meals, après ski, games, DJ entertainment and live bands. The dining room is located upstairs and features a big stone fireplace, superb food and the famous ‘Gunbarrel Coffee’ show.
- Loose Moose Café and Bar
- The Loose Moose, located at the Happy Valley Day Lodge, has a fun atmosphere for the whole family. During the day the Loose Moose is the café which offers a variety of coffees, and pastries. In the evening, it's a family friendly restaurant that offers a full kids menu while you enjoy nightly events entertainment
- Snow Ghost Lounge
- Located in the White Crystal Inn, the Snow Ghost Lounge features live entertainment on weekends.
- Powder Keg Lounge
- Featuring East Indian delicacies, this bar has an inviting and friendly atmosphere. Located at the Inn at Big White.
Big White is a fabulous place to stay, whether you're there for the skiing in the winter or the hiking/biking in the summer. There are lots of Big White vacation rentals to take advantage of right in the ski resort, as well as hotels and motels in and around the area. Owner Direct Vacation Rentals, located nearby in Kelowna, has been linking up guests with vacation home owners since 1994, and has well over 8,000 vacation rental homes to choose from worldwide, and nearly 400 vacation rentals in Big White alone.
- The Urban Retreat Hostel, 7470 Porcupine Road, ☎ 250-765-7920. checkin: 7am to 11pm; checkout: 7am to 11am. 30/night dorm. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!