Belfort is a city in Northeastern France in the Franche-Comté région, situated between Lyon and Strasbourg.
Belfort's strategic location, in a natural gap between the Vosges and the Jura, on a route linking the Rhine and the Rhône, has attracted human settlement and made it a target for armies.
Two trains station,
A local bus network operates within the city. The name of service is Optymo. You can find the updated details in the website OPTYMO www.optymo.fr Tickets can be bought from any newsagent in the city. Alternatively, a user can send a sms 'BUS' to 84100 and show the confirmation sms as a ticket.
The region of Belfort already has cycling tracks of around 70 km and still more are under construction. Visit tourisme office for the latest cycle tracks. Coulée verte in the west, malsaucy-giromany in the north and the Euro Velo6 is just around 20 km to the south. Numerous cycling events are organised,enabling people to explore the area in the company of an official guide.
- Belfort is the home of the Lion of Belfort, a sculpture by Frédéric Bartholdi expressing people's resistance against the siege in the Franco-Prussian War (1870) – who shortly afterwards built the Statue of Liberty in New York.
- The Belfort Citadel - A unique example of Vauban pentagonal fortifications.
- The Belfort Cathedral, 18th century
- The old town
- The Belfort city museums are structured within three main poles:
- History (from archeology to military) in the old barracks on the top of the citadel.
- Art (mainly from 16th to 19th century) in the Tour 41.
- Modern Art in the Donation Jardot.
- If one climbs on a tall building or high grounds like mountains nearby, on a clear day, we could see the ice-capped mountains of Alps in Switzerland.
- Grand souterrain de la citadelle de Belfort- An underground passage of Belfort Citadel.
- FIMU : Belfort is also well known for organizing a large-scale music festival in May each year. The Festival International de Musique Universitaire (FIMU) is home to nearly 2500 musicians, most of them students, from many different countries. The musicians give more than 250 concerts in the course of the 3-day festival in a wide variety of styles (classical, jazz, traditional, experimental, etc.).
- Detail information in the website FIMU - []
- Eurockéennes : which is one of France's largest rock music festivals. []