Rural Beijing are the outer suburbs of northern Beijing consisting of the administrative districts Yanqing District, Huairou District (怀柔区; Huáiróuqū), Miyun District and Pinggu District (平谷区; Pínggǔqū).
Line S2 of the Beijing Suburban Railway travels from Beijing North Railway Station (adjacent to Xizhimen subway stop of Line 13 and Line 2 of the Beijing Subway; exit from Exit A1 or A2 of the subway to get to the station) to stops in Yanqing District with the last stop of the line ending at Yanqing Railway Station (¥6 one way). Train departures are infrequent, leaving at 6:12 (S201), 7:58 (S203), 9:02 (S207), 10:57 (S209), 13:14 (S213), 15:24 (S213), 17:41 (S221). Train Beijing-Badaling schedule You should arrive at the train station and board 30 minutes before departure to ensure a seat. You can pay on entrance to the train station by swiping your Beijing Transportation Card.
- Badaling Great Wall (八达岭 Bādálǐng). Give yourself about 2 hours to climb up the wall if you're a slow climber, an hour or less if you're speedier. See Great Wall under the Badaling and Juyongguan section of "Get in" for how to get there. Tickets to climb the wall are around ¥40, with discounts available for the young and the disabled.. edit
- Mutianyu Great Wall (慕田峪 Mùtiányù), . Summer 06:30-18:30, winter 07:30-17:00. This section is less congested than Badaling and just as well reconstructed, and is a good place for a three hour hike. There is also a toboggan ride (¥55) and cablecars (¥35 single, ¥50 return). The website has more information on tours and activities around the area. See Great Wall under the Mutianyu section of "Get in" for how to get there. ¥41 for entrance to the Wall. edit
- Hongluo Temple (红螺寺; Hóngluósì), Hongluo St, Huairou District (怀柔区红螺路; Huáiróuqū Hóngluólù) (Take bus 867 from Dongzhimen Stn (Lines 2, 13). The bus leaves once an hour and the ride takes 2 hr). This is the largest Buddhist temple in northern China and was built in 378. The temple has been quite important for centuries and has functioned both as temple and monastery. It is beautifully located next to the Hongluo Mountains, which you can climb or reach by cable car. The temple grounds are big, covering almost 800 hectares. You can easily spend a whole day touring the three main scenic areas - The Hongluo Temple, Guanyin Temple and the the Five Hundred Arhat Garden. They also have an alpine slide for a little fun in getting down from the higher temple areas. ¥30. edit
- Longqing Gorge (龙庆峡 Lóngqìngxiá) - located in Yanqing district 85 kilometers from Beijing's center is a favorite day-long excursion for Beijingers and expats. Here you can go on a 7 kilometer boat ride on a river towered by mountains. After stopping at a spot, you can go bungee jumping over the river (200RMB with a strict 90kg weight limit) or zipline across the river (50RMB, no weight limit). There are also some temples on the mountains, and a cable car (50RMB/person) that goes to to the top. During winter (when you can't ride the boat) there's an ice sculpture festival. Directions: Take Bus No. 919 in front of Archery Tower every five minutes at Deshengmeng to Yanqing County and then transfer to Bus No. 902 which operates from 06:00 to 19:00. Or take tourist bus No. 8 at Qianmen station and Andingmen Station. Ticket price: 140RMB. Operating time: 09:00 to 17:00.
- Badaling Wild Park (八达岭野生动物园; Bādálǐng Yěshēngdòngwùyuán), S of Badaling Great Wall, Yanging County (延庆县八达岭长城南; Yánqìngxiàn Bādálǐngchángchéngnán) (Bus 919 from Deshenmen east of Jishuitan Stn (Line 2), or train S2 from Xizhimen Train Station), ☎ +86 10 6912-2591 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 5856-1360), . Summer 08:00-17:00, winter 10:00-15:00. Large wild animals like tigers, lions, bears and wolves can be seen in this park from own car or park buses. Here is much better chance of seeing natural animal behaviour than in the zoo. ¥90. edit
- Guyaju (古崖居), North of Dongmenying Village, Zhangshanying Town, Yanqing District (At Yanqing railway station hail a metered taxi from off the road; the taxi trip is 30km and costs 75km). The largest cliff side cave community discovered in China, Guyaju is a spectacular complex of 147 caves carved into the cliff by the "ancients", a chieftain-led band that may have settled the area during the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907). ¥55. edit
- Caribbean Lagoon Waterpark (加勒比海浪水上乐园; Jiālèbǐhǎilàng Shuǐshànglèyuán), 118 Quanshuitou, Yanxi Town, Huairou District (怀柔区雁栖镇泉水头118号; Huáiróuqū Yànqīzhèn Quánshuǐtóu) (Take the train from Beijing North Railway Station next to Xizhimen Stn (Lines 2, 4, 13), get off at Huairou N Stn and take an unofficial taxi the last couple of km), ☎ +86 10 5867-9210 / 8528-8966 / 6066-1638 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8529-8879), . 10:00-16:00. Large Caribbean themed water theme park with waterslides, wave pool, lazy river pool and island. Mediocre Chinese restaurants available but good picnic areas if you bring your own food. ¥120. edit
- Goose'N'Duck Ranch (怀柔县怀柔北宅; éhéyāzhuāng), 怀柔县怀柔北宅; Huáiróuxiàn Huáiróuběizhái, ☎ +86 10 5928-3045 ([email protected]), . Ranch with activities including go-kart racing, horseback riding, archery, paintball, both outdoor and indoor swimming pool, bowling, table tennis and party games. One day package including food, bevarage and internal transporting ¥260; 2-day package incl food, beverage, internal transportation and accommodation ¥600. edit
- The Roadhouse at Mutianyu, 12 Mutianyu Village, Huairou District (1 hr from downtown Beijing), ☎ +86 10 6162-6506, . Mar-Nov weekends and holidays 11:00-15:00 and by prior appt. A revamp of one of the earliest restaurants to be established in the Mutianyu Great Wall area. Surrounded by orchards and country farmland, The Roadhouse is oriented to provide sweeping views of the Great Wall as it stretches along the mountain ridgelines to the North and East. Fresh country-style Chinese food and trout netted from the pond with an unrivaled view of the Great Wall. edit
- Xiaolumian, Yingbeigou Village, Huairou District (1 hr from downtown Beijing), ☎ +86 10 6162-6506, . Mar-Nov weekends and holidays 12:00-16:00 and by prior appt. A rustic farmhouse tucked into a valley next to the Great Wall. Xiaolumian is really a trip back in time and a taste of village life. Serving only local handmade noodles, soups and sauces from locally grown materials, the menu is as authentic as the setting itself. Eat lunch in a private room while sitting on the Kang surrounded by antique furniture and textiles, or enjoy special roasted barley tea on the slate terrace in the small orchard. edit
- The Schoolhouse at Mutianyu, 12 Mutianyu Village, Huairou District (1 hr from downtown Beijing), ☎ +86 10 6162-6506, . 10:00-21:00. . Located in a renovated schoolhouse at the base of the Great Wall. The Schoolhouse hosts a Western restaurant, an art glass studio and an art room. Part of a sustainable tourism effort, The Schoolhouse is staffed by local workers, and has a charming simple atmosphere. The food is Western homemade style based on fresh and local organic ingredients where possible. Menu items are sometimes simple, sometimes gourmet. Lunch, coffee, homemade ice cream, and a spectacular view make The Schoolhouse worth a visit if you find yourself at The Mutianyu Great Wall. edit
- Village View Resort (北京乡景度假村; Běijīng Xiāngjǐng Dùjiàcūn), E of Quanshuitou Village, Yanqi Town, Huairou District (怀柔区雁栖镇泉水头村东; Huáiróuqū Yànqīzhèn Quánshuǐtóucūn Dōng) (Take the train from Beijing North Railway Station next to Xizhimen Stn (Lines 2, 4, 13), get off at Huairou North Station and take an unofficial taxi the last couple of km), ☎ +86 10 6066-1166 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6066-1188), . Beautifully located hotel close to lakes and mountains. The rooms are not very large and has internet access against surcharge. Business centre, disco, karaoke, children's playground, billiard, tanæe tennins, tennis and basketball available. Chinese and Western restaurants as well as coffee shop, bar and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥770, discounted from ¥508, breakfast ¥38-180. edit
- China Countryside Hotels (The Schoolhouse Rental Homes), ☎ +86 10 6162-6506 ([email protected]), . Eleven guest houses in a real working village under Mutianyu Great Wall. Each house originated as a peasant dwelling and has its own special story and features. All guest houses offer a quiet retreat from the city with fresh air and breathtaking views combined with modern amenities. 3 Green Stars from Eco Hotels of the World. ¥1,800-5,000. edit
- Commune by the Great Wall Kempinski Beijing, . 11 villas designed by top Asian architects and design firms, all of which have butlers. For those with money to splurge! edit