Dongzhimen is a precinct in Dongcheng district in Beijing. It is a transport hub and commercial centre, famous for restaurants and the Russian Embassy. In old Beijing it was a gate located at the north-east corner of the walled city.
The precinct is an important hub in the wider Beijing public transport network. It is the terminus for the Airport Line, so it may be one of your first stops. Subway Line 2 runs south and west around the central city. It is the terminus for line 13 which runs across the north of Beijing. Dongzhimen also has important bus stations and an long-distance bus terminal.
- Tongjiao Temple (通教寺; Tōngjiāosì; also known as Temple of Authoritative Teaching), 19 Zhenxian Hutong, Dongzhimen Beixiaojie (东直门北小街针线胡同19号; Dōngzhíménběixiǎojiē Zhēnxiànhútòng) (800 m NW of Dongzhimen Stn (Lines 2 and 13)), ☎ +86 10 6405-5918. 08:00-17:00 on 1st and 15th of the month. Originally used by eunuchs but now actively used by nuns. Free.
- The Poly Museum (保利博物馆; Bǎolì Bówùguǎn), 14 Dongzhimen S St (东直门南大街14号; Dōngzhímén Nán Dàjiē) (Just NE of Dongsishitiao Stn (Line 2)), ☎ +86 10 6500-8117 (fax: +86 10 6501-1277), . M-Sa 09:30-16:30. Small art museum specialising in bringing Chinese artifacts home to China from abroad. Main exhibitions cover ancient bronze art, ancient stone carvings and Buddha statues. ¥50.
- Poly Theatre (保利剧院; Bǎolìjùyuàn), 14 Donzhimen S St (东直门南大街4号; Dōngzhíménnán Dàjiē) (Dongsishitiao Stn (Line 2) NE exit), ☎ +86 10 6500-1188 ext 5126 (fax: +86 10 6501-1854), . Large theater holding 1,428 seats, eight balcony boxes and two VIP boxes. Chinese, classical music, opera and ballet performances are staged here by both Chinese and international artist groups. Beijing Music Festival  is also held here. Prices range between ¥90-380 and ¥180-1,280.
- Universal Theater (天地剧场; Tiāndìjùchǎng), 10 Dongzhimen S St (东直门南大街10号; Dōngzhíménnán Dàjiē) (Dongsishitiao Stn (Line 2) NE exit, along Second Ring Rd to the N of Poly Plaza), ☎ +86 10 6416-9893 ([email protected]), . 19:15. Acrobatic show performed by China Acrobatic Troup. The theater itself is less impressive than the show. ¥180-480.
- Poly Theatre (see above under Theater).
- Culture Yard: Explore Chinese culture through various workshops, 10 Shique Hutong, Dongcheng District (Beixingqiao Stn exit C walk 400 m to your L), ☎ +86 10 8404-4166, . 09:00-21:00. Culture Yard: Explore Chinese culture through various workshops. Culture Yard is a foreign run cultural centre in the heart of Beijing that offers language courses as well as cultural workshops, which focus on introducing Chinese culture to the international community, as well as foreign culture to the local community " (Culture Yard Website) . Culture Yard hosts film, mahjong, tea, calligraphy, discussion seminars, art classes, chinese and other language study programs, and wine tastings. Free.
- Raffles City Shopping Centre
Guijie (簋街/鬼街; Guǐjiē), (Beixinqiao Stn (Line 5) is at the W end of the strip). The most famous street for food in Beijing is probably Guijie (sometimes called Ghost Street), which runs east-west along Dongzhimen Nei Dajie from Jiaodaokou Dong Dajie to to Dongzhimen Lijiaomen Bridge on the Second Ring Road, Dongcheng District. Red lanterns were ordered to be removed in early 2014, but traditional courtyards dot the scene and hundreds of restaurants remain along the street. Eating on Ghost Street is about more than food and drink, it's a way of life for many Beijingers. Take your pick of restaurants, there are all kinds here.
Huajiayiyuan (花家怡园; Huājiāyíyuán), 235 Dongzhimennei St (东直门内大街235号; Dōngzhíménnèi Dàjiē) (On the north side of the street, nearer western end), ☎ +86 10 6405-1908. One of the largest tourist traps. Tasteless food in lovely plates though. Housed in a series of interconnected courtyards. Not Destined for people who like chinese food but like taking pictures of food. Try places where you see locals waiting on benches to be seated instead.
- Dadong Duck Restaurant (大董烤鸭店 Dàdŏng Kăoyā Diàn). 11:00-22:00 daily. Considered by some to be the best Beijing duck in the city, this upscale restaurant also delivers on a nice atmosphere. Reservations suggested. full/half Beijing duck is ¥240/120 with extra ¥8 for condiments. Meal is served with free hot water, small soup, light fruits and black sesame for dessert. ¥300.
- Dongsi Shitiao branch, Dongsi Shitiao 22A, Bldg 1-2 of the Nanxin Cang International Tower (东四十条甲22号南新仓国际大厦1-2楼) (Just SW of Dongsishitiao Stn (Line 2), entrance is at the back (S) of the bldg). This is the newer and more impressive of Dadong's branches.
- Capital Spirits Bar & Distillery (首都酒坊; Shǒudūjiǔfāng), 3 Da Ju Hutong (大菊胡同3号; Dàjúhútòng) (Go to SW corner of Dongzhimen and Dongzhimen NanXiaoJie (直门簋街和东直门南小街), walk one block south to first Hutong (DaJu), and turn right. Bar is 20 meters within the hutong on the right. Click on website URL for map and details), ☎ +86 10 6409 3319 ([email protected]), . 20:00-00:30 TUE-SUN. Capital Spirits is the world’s first bar dedicated to Chinese Baijiu and craft liquor. Enjoy Baijiu flights, craft Chinese beers, lesser known fine spirits from around the world, house distilled liquors, and signature cocktails. Nestled within an historic Hutong in a restored shop house with period furnishings for a relaxing environment with a taste of Old Beijing.
- Paddy O'Shea's (爱尔兰酒吧), 28 Dongzhimenwai Dajie 东直门外大街28号 (400m east of Exit C, Dongshimen Station, opposite Australian embassy), ☎ 6415 6389, . Daily 10am-late. Beijing's original Irish Sports Pub with daily events 50-80 pp. (39.9395,116.441)
- Dongzhimen Golden Pineapple Youth Hostel (北京金菠萝国际青年酒店; Běijīng Jīnbōluó Guójìqīngniánjiǔdiàn), 18 Xinzhong St (新中街18号; Xīnzhōngjiē) (700 m SE of Dongzhimen Stn (Line 2)), ☎ +86 10 8447-2899. Cheapest doubles are very small and bath and toilet is separated from the rest of the room only by a glass wall. Internet, snack shop, safety box, laundry room, guest kitchen and car and bike rental available. Restaurant and bar. Listed/discounted rates for doubles from ¥230/¥180, disounted rates for dorms from ¥34.
- Star of City Hotel (北京都市之星酒店; Běijīngdūshìzhīxīngjiǔdiàn), 216 Dongzhimennei St (东直门内大街216号; Dōngzhíménnèidàjiē) (300 m E of Beixinqiao Stn (Line 5)), ☎ +86 10 6402-1188 (fax: +86 10 6402-8557). Large rooms with free internet. Ticket office and laundry service available. No restaurant but a tea house. Can be loud, get an interior room. Clean bathroom, but very old beds. More suited to Chinese, though English speaking staff is available. One stop away from the Lama Temple. Doubles without window from ¥268, discounted from ¥198; breakfast ¥15; rooms with window only slightly more.
- Beijing Qianyuan International Business Hotel, ☎ +86 10 8400-1999 ([email protected]), . Offers 202 air-conditioned and well-decorated accommodations; At the middle of the most famous night food street, Dongzhimen St From ¥454.
- Ascott Raffles City Beijing, No 1-2 Dongzhimen South Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100007, ☎ +86 10 8405-3888 ([email protected]), . The residence in Dongzhimen offers apartments, ranging from one to three-bedrooms, with separate living and dining area, a kitchen, Bose DVD Home Entertainment System and broadband internet access.