Beijing's Central Business District is located west of the historical centre of the capital. It is also known as Guomao. The area was planned since the 1980's to be the commercial heart of Northern China and features spectacular modern architecture and high end shopping. The CBD is located in the Chaoyang Administrative District.
Beijing is developing as one of the most important international financial centers in the world. The CBD area is positioned as a core area for Financial Development in the city's strategic plan and emerging as China's media center with Beijing Television Station (Beijing TV Centre) and the new CCTV Headquarters. The Beijing CBD has attracted over 100 of the worlds leading businesses in the financial, media, information technology, consulting and service industries. The Beijing CBD International Business Festival and Beijing CBD International Forum have put the CBD on the map worldwide.
The CBD is served by Beijing's wider transport network. It is located on the Third Ring Road and spreads west to the Fourth Ring Road.
Subway lines 1 and 10 meet at Guomao Subway Station, which is an appropriate place to begin exploring by foot. Be warned that this CBD area is just as big as the downtown business districts of most American cities.
CCTV building when it was under construction
- CCTV Building (中央电视台新楼 Zhōngyāng Diànshìtái Xīnlóu). Just north-east of Guomao station along the Third Ring Road is this beautiful and unique tower by Dutch architects Rem Koolhaas and Ole Scheeren, housing China Central Television Station. A New Year's firework accident in 2009 burnt down the adjacent Mandarin Oriental Hotel building. edit
- World Trade Center Tower III. Just north-west of Guomao station, and north of China World Trade Center I. This is Beijing's tallest building and features multiple restaurants and bars at the top. edit
- Dongyue Temple (东岳庙; Dōngyuèmiào), 141 Chaowai Ave (朝外大街141号; Cháowàidàjiē), ☎ +86 10 6551-0151. 08:30-16:30. Taoist temple founded in 1319 with hundreds of life size plaster figures and the possibility of making offerings to different gods responsible for all kind of stuff. The temple also houses the Beijing Folk Arts Museum. Very quiet and peaceful spot. ¥10. edit
- Ritan Park (日坛公园; Rìtán Gōngyuán), 6 Ritan N Rd (日坛北路6号; Rìtán Běilù) (1 km NE of Jianguomen Stn (lines 1 and 2)), ☎ +86 10 8561-6301. 06:00-18:00. The park contains the Temple of the Sun with an alter built in 1530 and used for sacrifices to the sun. Great park with entertainment for the children, good cafés and restaurants, plenty of local life to watch and also historical stuff. The altar itself is a round open space popular for flying kites. If you couldn't get close to the "Echo Wall" at Temple of Heaven due to crowds, you can do the same trick here (although only on a quarter rather than the whole circle). Also climb to the pavilion at the top of the small hill in the park for a surround view of the CBD skyline. Free. edit
- Central Perk (老友记), 6th Floor, 0616, Bldg A, Chaowai SOHO, 6 Chaoyangmenwai Dajie 朝阳门外大街,朝外SOHO,A区0616室 (Walk north then west two blocks from exit A Jintaixizhao Station), ☎ 186 0119 1315. Daily 10am-9:30pm. A loving homage to the Friends TV show with a full replica of the café and ongoing replays. Even the boss calls himself Gunter and every waitress is Rachel. You can see Joey's apartment too. Makes a cool photo moment. ¥30 for coffee. (39.9228,116.449) edit
- Chaoyang Theater (朝阳剧场; Cháoyángjùchǎng), 36 Northend of E Third Ring Rd (东三环北路36号; Dōngsānhuán Běilù), ☎ +86 10 6507-2421(Chinese); +86 13718808515(English) (fax: +86 10 6591-9346), . Performances usually at 17:15 and 19:15. Theater focusing on acrobatics, but also some Peking Opera. Acrobatics shows are impressive and slick, with a 'tropical bird' theme. The Peking Opera shows are in a small side theatre, and fairly amateur. ¥180-¥680. edit
- Tuanjiehu Pool (团结湖游泳池; Tuánjiéhú Yóuyǒngchí), 16 Tuanjiehu S Rd (团结湖南路16号; Tuánjiéhú Nánlù) (Hujialou Stn (Line 10)), ☎ +86 10 8597-4677. Water park with beach, pool with wave machine and water slides. ¥30. edit
- China World Trade Center (国贸 Guómào). Here you will find a lot of designer brands. edit
- Silk Street (Silk Market 秀水街 Xiùshuǐ Jiē), 8 E Xiushui St, Jianguomenwai Dajie (Yong'anli Stn (Line 1)). The original foreign-oriented market, in the first embassy district (now the CBD). It was re-opened in March 2005 as a 5 storey air-conditioned building. You can find luggage, leather bags, electronics, sporting goods, jewellery, clothing and Chinese artwork -- and plenty of knock-offs. This market caters almost entirely to foreign customers. However, compared to other Asian markets in, say, Hong Kong and Bangkok, this market may be overpriced. Tourists may want to consider spending their money elsewhere. edit
- Makye Ame, 11A Xiushui Nanjie Jianguomenwai, ☎ +86 10 6506-9616. Tibetan restaurant, features live dancing and performances. edit
- Xiao Wang's Home Restaurant (小王府; Xiǎo Wáng Fù), Inside Ritan Park N Gate (日坛公园北门内), ☎ +86 10 8561-7859. Very good "homestyle" Chinese food, in a beautiful setting in the park. Not as expensive as the setting would make you believe. Some tables on a rooftop patio. Open all day but they don't serve food for a few hours in the afternoon. edit
- Xihe Yaju (羲和雅居), Ritan Dong Lu (日坛东路) (NE corner of Ritan Park), ☎ +86 10 8561-7643. Fairly upscale "homestyle" Chinese restaurant, popular with foreigners. edit
- Dacha (别墅西餐厅), 1 Ritan Lu 日坛路1号（日坛宾馆北侧） (Located inside the north entrance of Ritan Hotel), ☎ 8563 5765. Daily 10am-3am. Russian and Japanese cuisine, with a childrens playground by day and bohemian entertainers by night 60-200 pp. (39.91613,116.43436) edit
- Face (妃思), 26 Dongcaoyuan, Gongti Nanlu 工体南路东草园26号 (At the end of the lane), ☎ 6551 6738, . Daily 2pm-late. Traditional, elegant setting for Thai, Indian and Chinese cuisine 60-150 pp. (39.9247,116.447) edit
- Hokkaido Ramen (北海道拉面), Rm 0154, 2nd floor, Bldg 1, East Jianwai Soho, 39 Dongsanhuan Zhonglu 朝阳区东三环中路39号建外SOHO东区1号楼2楼0154室 (39.90368), ☎ 5900 5113. Daily 10am-10pm. Cuisine from the Japanese province of Hokkaido in a traditional setting free weekdays, 100 weekend. (39.90368,116.45333) edit
Mid range hotels
- Chengyuan Hotel, 19 S Jianhua Rd, Jianguomenwai Ave, ☎ +86 10 5130-5800, . Cheng Yuan Hotel is in the central business area of Jianguomenwai. It is approximately 28 km from Beijing Capital Airport. The hotel has over 100 rooms. From ¥555. edit
- East Apartments: Serviced Apartment Hotel, 59 Fulicheng, E Third Ring Rd, (东三环中路59号富力城; Dōngsānhuánzhong Lù 59 hao Fùlìchéng (In the CBD), ☎ +86 10 5862-3125 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 5876-1872), . checkout: 12:00. Offers western style, high end, fully-serviced apartments and facilities. Due to the daily, weekly and monthly rates it is a good option for corporate accommodations, project assignment or interim stays. Residences are elegant and fully furnished in addition to being spacious and private. Western owned and managed. Services include 1, 2 & 3-bedroom serviced apartments with English speaking staff, housekeeping, DVD player, cable TV, fully-equipped kitchen, air conditioning, washing machine, fitness club with pool, 24 hour security and free wireless internet. No minimum stay edit
- Luxury Serviced Residence (北京丽舍服务公寓), 17 Jianhua S Rd, ☎ +86 10 6566-2200 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6566-2211), . This residence in central Beijing, offers apartments with options of one to three-bedrooms, have a well-equipped kitchen, full-length windows for natural light, a home entertainment system and broadband Internet line. From ¥550. edit
- Radisson Blu Hotel, 6A E Beisanhuan Rd, Chaoyang District, ☎ +86 10 5922-3388, . Right in the heart of the business district with 362 rooms including 24-hour room service. edit
- Ascott (北京雅诗阁服务公寓), 108B Jianguo Rd, Chaoyang Dist, ☎ +86 10 6567-8100 ([email protected]), . Centrally located in Beijing's business and retail district. All apartments, ranging from one to three bedrooms and three to four-bedroom penthouses have kitchen and a home entertainment system. From ¥1,288. edit
- Grand Millennium (北京千禧大酒店 Běijīng Qiānxǐ Dàjiǔdiàn), Fortune Plaza, 7 Dongsanhuan Middle Rd, Chaoyang Dist, ☎ +86 10 8587-6888 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8587-6999), . 521 rooms. Located in the heart of the business district. edit
- Park Hyatt (北京柏悦酒店; Běijīng Bóyuè Jiǔdiàn), (建国门外大街2号; Jiànguóménwàidàjiē), ☎ +86 10 8567-1234 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8567-1000), . Luxury hotel at the top floors of the Beijing Yintai Centre in CBD. Rooms from 45m2 equipped with internet access (surcharge in most rooms), bathrooms with both tub and shower, private bar, espresso machine, walk-in closet, dvd player and international power outlets. Business center, gift shop, ticket office, fitness, pool, sauna and spa available. Chinese and Western restaurants as well as coffee shop and bar. One of the sleekest and most modern hotels in the city. Listed rates for doubles ¥5,000-10,000, discounted rates ¥1,656-6,670, breakfast ¥276. edit