The 798 Art Zone is a large abandoned industrial zone taken over by artists in the 1990's. It's also known as Dashanzi Art District (大山子艺术区 Dàshānzǐ Yìshù Qū). It is part of the Chaoyang District of Beijing.
This a district full of galleries of contemporary Chinese art, located in an old industrial district. Also many Western style cafes here. The area has until recently been undisputed as the centre for Chinese contemporary art. But beginning commercialisation and mainstreaming of the area and the rise of other areas in Beijing makes this less obvious. The area is now firmly on the tour group circuit and can be crowded at weekends. Recently many of the original galleries have closed or moved due to high rents, although there are more and more cafes and shops, some quite high-end. Full of young artists selling their handiwork, which makes for great shopping if you can't afford the big art pieces. Visiting the area is still a must for both art lovers and common tourists.
It's located outside Fourth Ring Road, so it easy to get there by taxi. It's in the direction of the airport, so it can be a convenient stop on your way there or a quick trip back into the city on your last night.
By public transport, the 798 Art Zone is located on Line 14 between Wangjing South and Jiangtai stations. Alternatively, buses go from Dongzhimen via Liangmaqiao for connections to/from the subway system.
- China National Film Museum (中国电影博物馆; Zhōngguó diànyǐng bówùguǎn), 9 Nanying Rd (南影路9号; Nányǐng Lù 9 hào) (Dongzhimen(东直门) Stn (Lines 2, 13). Walk to the nearest bus station just outside the subway station. Take bus# 688, 402, 418, or 973 for roughly 40-50 min to Nangao(南皋) stop. When you get off the bus, continue to walk in the same direction until you come to Nanying Rd(南影路). The National Film Museum will be on your right. If you have trouble when you get off the bus, just pay attention to the signs pointing you towards the museum.), ☎ +86 10 84355959, . 09:00-16:30, closed M. Free. edit
798 Main Zone
The following galleries are located with the main 798 Area.
- 798 Photo Gallery (百年印象摄影画廊; Bǎinián Yìnxiàngshèyǐng Huàláng), ☎ +86 10 6438-1784 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 64375284), . 10:00-18:00. Established in 2003 as the first gallery in China to focus on photography. Still one of the best places in China to see photographic work. New exhibitions every month. edit
- 798 Space (798 时态空间; 798 Shítàikōngjiān), ☎ +86 10 6437-6248 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6437-6248), . 10:30-19:30. The gallery giving the original name to the whole area. Now more interesting for its parties, events and high couture product launches than for its art exhibitions. edit
- Beijing Commune (北京公社; Běijīnggōngshè), ☎ +86 10 8456-2862 ([email protected]), . Exhibitions in all media focusing on discovering and promoting the newest trends. Also engaged in organising conferences and publishing books. edit
- Beijing Tokyo Art Projects, ☎ +86 10 8457-3245 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8457-3246), . Tu-Su 10:30-18:30, Nov-Mar 10:30-17:30. One of the first galleries to open here and continues to have interesting exhibitions in all media with East Asian artists. edit
- Chinese Contemporary Beijing (中国当代画廊; Zhōngguódāngdàihuàláng), ☎ +86 10 8456-2421 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8456-2473), . 11:00-19:00. Large international gallery with branches in London and New York as well. Focusing on Chinese provocative avant-garde within all media. edit
- Hadrien de Montferrand Gallery, ☎ +86 139 1165 1353 ([email protected]), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. One of Beijing's leading contemporary galleries, Hadrien de Montferrand Gallery is the first in China to exclusively show contemporary works on paper. edit
- Iberia Center for Contemporary Art (伊比利亚当代艺术中心; Yībǐlì Yàdāngdàiyìshù Zhōngxīn), ☎ +86 10 5978-9530 ([email protected]), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Established by the International Art & Culture Foundation of Spain. Focuses on Chinese films and videos with a focus on independent documentary film. edit
- Marella Gallery, ☎ +86 10 5978-9587 ([email protected]), . 11:00-19:00. Milan based callery exhibiting both Chinese and international artists. edit
- Paris-Beijing Photo Gallery I, ☎ =+86 10 5978-9262 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 5978-9262), . 10:00-18:00. Exhibits photography from both China and abroad. See also Paris-Beijing Photo Gallery II in the same area. edit
- Star Gallery (星空间; Xīngkōngjiān), ([email protected], fax: +86 10 84599630), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Focuses on exhibitions, publications and promotion of the newest generation of Chinese artists. edit
- Tang Contemporary Art (北京当代唐人艺术中心; Běijīngdāngdài Tángrényìshùzhōngxīn), ☎ +86 10 6436-3518 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6436-3018), . 10:30-18:00. Large gallery exhibiting both Chinese and foreign contemporary artists. edit
- Ullens Center for Contemporary Art, ☎ +86 10 6438-6675, . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Large gallery with three exhibition halls and with ambitions of being the most comprehensive institute for contemporary Chinese art. Arranges also events within art, films and music as well as seminars on a wide range of art related topics. edit
- Yan Club Art Centre (仁俱乐部艺术中心; Rénjùlèbùyìshùzhōngxīn), ☎ +86 10 8457-3506 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8457-3622), . 10:00-18:00. This is one of the first and one of the largest galleries in the area. Exhibitions with emerting and established artists in a wide range of media. In the evenings, the place is used for trance and jungle parties. edit
- Yuanfen New Media Art Space, ([email protected]), . W-Sa 11:00-19:00. This gallery exhibits online, video and new media art by international and Chinese artists edit
Caochangdi was a village that has now been swallowed up by the growing city. It's located a few kilometres north-east of 798, just beyond the Fifth Ring Road (a short cab ride or a few stops on the same bus routes that go to Dashanzi). The galleries here are more spread out and can be hard to find, so this is a destination for more serious art aficionados.
- Art Channel (艺术通道; Yìshùtōngdào), No 249-3, Zone B, Art district East, Caochangdi Village (草场地村艺术东区B区249-3; Cǎochǎngdìcūn Ýìshùdōngqū), ☎ +86 10 6433-5080 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6433-5060), . Tu-Su 11:00-18:00. Gallery founded in 2006. Represents established, emerging and young Chinese and international artists. The gallery focuses on exchange of ideas between Western and non-Western cultures and on dialogues with other traditions. edit
- Boers-Li Gallery, 8A Caochangdi (草场地甲8号; Cǎochǎngdìjiǎ), ☎ +86 10 6432-2620 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6432-2621), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Large gallery focusing on sculptural and video installations. edit
- China Art Archives and Warehouse (艺术文件仓库; Yìshùwénjiàncāngkù), E of Tiedao Bridge, Caochangdi Village (草场地村铁道桥东侧; Cǎochǎngdìcūn Tiědàoqiáodōngcè), ☎ +86 10 8456-5152 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8456-5154), . W-Su 14:00-18:00. CAAW was one of the first galleries in Beijing with a history at least dating back to 1993. The gallery was the first to move to Caochangdi. Focuses on experimental fine art from China, including painting, sculpture, photography, printing and installations. edit
- Chambers Fine Art (前波画廊; Qiánbōhuàláng), No 1-D Red, Caochangdi (草场地红1号D座; Cǎochǎngdì Hóng), ☎ +86 10 5127-3298 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 5127-3298), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. Chambers Fine Art opened in New York in 2000 exhibiting cutting edge Chinese art. In 2007, the Beijing branch opened. edit
- DoArt Gallery, 261 Caochangdi (草场地261号; Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 10 8457-4550 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8456-5096), . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00. This Beijing branch of a Seoul gallery opened in 2007. Aims at introducing Chinese comtemporary artist to the international scene. edit
- F2 Gallery, 319 Caochangdi (草场地319号; Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 10 6432-8831 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6432-8203), . 10:00-18:00. Gallery representing and working closely together with a few Chinese contemporary artists. edit
- Galerie Urs Meile, 104 Caochangdi (草场地104号; Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 10 6433-3393 ([email protected]), . Tu-Su 11:00-18:30. Swiss gallery exhibiting both foreign and Chinese artists edit
- Pékin Fine Arts (北京艺门; Běijīng Yìmén), 241 Caochangdi, Cuigezhuang (催各庄草场地241号; Cuīgèzhuāng Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 10 8610-5127 ext 3320 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 5127-3223), . W-Su 10:00-18:00. The gallery prepares exhibitions of contemporary Chinese artist with the purpose of sending them abroad. edit
- Platform China Art Institute (站台中国当代艺术机构; Zhàntáizhōngguódāngdàiyìshùjīgòu), No 319-1, East End Art Zone A, Caochangdi (草场地村319-1艺术东区A区内), ☎ +86 10 6432-0091 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 8145-9360), . Tu-Su 11:00-18:00. Exhibits video and installation art. The gallery also aims at being at workplace and also has a residency program for international artists. edit
- The Tavelin Kreisman Studio, 300 Caochagdi (草场地300号; Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 135 0109 2984 ([email protected]), . Tu, Th, Sa Su 12:00-18:00. Work space focusing on painting, print making, photography and video sculpture. edit
- Three Shadows Photography Art Centre (三影堂摄影艺术中心; Sānyǐngtángshèyǐngyìshù Zhōngxīn), 155 Caochagdi (草场地155号; Cǎochǎngdì), ☎ +86 10 6432-2663 ([email protected], fax: +86 10 6431-9693), . One of the most important venues for photography including exhibitions, café, workstations and library. edit
- Yummy Box (美盒披萨), No.11 Fu'an West Rd, Wangjing 朝阳区望京阜安西路11号麒麟社AF105, ☎ 1060780189, . Pizza and western food in Wangjing, north-east of 798 Art Zone 50-100pp. (39.9965,116.472) edit
- DARA Life Lounge, 798 Xi Jie, 2 Jiuxianqiao Lu, Chaoyang Distrct 朝阳区酒仙桥路2号798西街 (798 Art Zone), ☎ +86 10 6434-5382. Lunch ¥776, dinner ¥2,800. edit
- East Beijing (北京市朝阳区), 22 Jiuxianqiao Road, Chaoyang District 酒仙桥路22号100016, ☎ +86 10 8426 0888, . edit