Beacon  is a city in Dutchess County, New York located roughly halfway between New York City and Albany. Beacon has become very popular in recent years among tourists for its picturesque setting along the Hudson River and its quaint charm.
- Stewart International Airport, 1180 First St, New Windsor, +1 845 564-2100, . The closest major airport is directly across the river from Beacon, but at present offers few direct flights to major destinations. Interstate 84 crosses the Hudson at Beacon, providing easy access.
- Westchester County Airport, 240 Airport Road, White Plains, +1 914 995-4860 (airlines), . Two counties away, but an alternative to the congestion of the 3 major international airports around New York City. Rental cars available.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, , John F. Kennedy International Airport , and LaGuardia Airport : Livery cars offer service to and from 3 major international airports. It is possible in a convoluted sort of way to get to and from JFK via Metro-North Railroad and New York City Transit.
- Interstate 84 runs through Beacon providing east-west connections to Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Route 9D is the main north to south road through the city.
- Metro-North Railroad - Hudson line, . Express service between Beacon and New York City's Grand Central Terminal is about 75 minutes, local service considerably longer. Local service is also available to other Metro-North commuter stations. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the vending machines located on the platform. On trains departing from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, get a seat on the left side of the train. Opposite Yonkers and Hastings-on-Hudson you will be treated to great views of the sheer cliffs of the Palisades and between Cold Spring and Beacon you will get a glimpse of Bannerman Castle on an island offshore.
- Amtrak, . Connection to Amtrak's long-distance service is available at New York City's Penn Station and Metro-North's Poughkeepsie station.
Beacon is easily navigated by car, bike, or walking.
- Dia:Beacon, 3 Beekman St, +1 845 440-0100, . Museum for the Dia Art Foundation's collection of modern art, including works by Andy Warhol. Located in a 300,000 square foot historic factory on 31 acres of riverfront. Summer hours Th-M 11AM-6PM (closed Tu-W). Winter hours (mid-October to mid-April) 11AM-4PM F-M (closed Tu,W,Th). Adults $10, students and seniors $7, children under 12 free. Free admission for Dia members.
- Mount Gulian Historical Site, 145 Sterling Street, +1 845 831-8172, . Hours: April-October 31, W-F,Su 1PM-5PM. last tour given at 4pm. Mount Gulian Historic Site, open for the purposes of a guided tour, special event, school or group program, weddings, or simply something to do on a lovely afternoon. The site is about the Verplanck family which contains an assortment of stories about husbands and wives, army generals, and an escaped slave. $5 for adults, $3 for children and free for members.
- Madam Brett Homestead, 50 Van Nydeck Avenue, 845-473-4440, . Hours: April-December, second Saturday of the month, 1PM-4PM. Closed January-March. The Madam Brett Homestead is the oldest standing building in its part of Dutchess County. Its history dates back to Pre-Revolutionary war times and is said to have housed notable guests such as George Washington, Baron von Steuben, and the Marquis de La Fayette. $5 for adults, $2 for students.
- The Beacon Falls, Located at the end of Main St on East Main by Beacon's historic dummy light. You can walk along the railroad tracks or on the short trail around the falls.
Rent a kayak or canoe or take a guided kayak trip on the Hudson River. Hudson Valley Pack & Paddle, 45 Beekman St, +1 845 831-1300, . From New York City to Albany the Hudson is a tidal estuary, so be aware of tides and currents as well as ships and barges. There is a public launch to the west of the Beacon railroad station.
Walk the Walkway Over the Hudson, Hudson Valley's pedestrian bridge. 61 Parker Ave, Poughkeepsie. Open from 7AM to sunset. .
Walk down Main St, Beacon and explore an assortment of galleries and specialty shops including(but not limited to):
- Hudson Beach Glass, 162 Main St, 845-440-0068, . M-Sa 10AM-6PM. Su 11AM-6PM. Glass studio producing functional and sculptural glass objects. Visitors can enter the studio and watch the process take place.
- Play, 167 Main St, 845-838-2134, . M-Su 11AM-6PM. Assortment of toys, games, and novelties for children and adults alike.
- RiverWinds Gallery, 172 Main St, 845-838-2880, . W-M 12PM-6PM. Closed Tuesdays. Features Hudson Valley Artists of various mediums.
- Beacon Bath and Bubble LLC, 458 Main St, 845-440-6782. W-Sa 11AM-6PM. Su 12PM-4PM. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Features handcrafted soaps, bubble bath, and other bathroom fare.
Beacon offers a wide variety of restaurant choices. Here are just a few:
- Cafe Amarcord, 276 Main St, 845-440-0050, . Lunch served: T-Su 12PM-3PM. Dinner served: T-Th 5PM-10PM. F-Sa 5PM-11PM. Su 4PM-9PM. Closed Mondays. Serves New American fare.
- Homespun Foods, 232 Main St, 845-831-5096, . M-F 11AM-5PM. Sa-Su 8AM-5PM. Serves gourmet comfort food.
- Sukhothai, 516 Main St, 845-790-5375, . Su-Th 11:30AM-9:30PM. F-Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM. Serves spiced to order Thai food.
- Isamu, 240 Main St, 845-440-0002. M-Th 11AM-10PM. F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Su 12PM-10PM. Sushi Restaurant.
- Brother's Trattoria, 465 Main St, 845-838-3300, . M-Su 11AM-10PM. Offers Italian fare and pizza.
- Poppy's Burgers and Fries, 184 Main St, 845-765-2121, . M 11AM-3PM, 5PM-8PM. Closed Tuesdays. W 11AM-3PM. Th-Su 12PM-8PM. Offers burgers, fries, and vegetarian options.
- Tito Santana Taqueria, 142 Main St, 845-765-2350, . Su-W 11AM-8PM. Th-Sa 11AM-9PM. Serves tacos and other Mexican fare.
- Max's on Main, 246 Main St, +1 845 838-6297, . Lunch and dinner from 11:30AM. Su-Th to 10PM and F-Sa to 11PM. Karaoke on Th, Live Music Friday and Saturday nights.
- The Hop, 554 Main St, 845-440-8676, . M,W,Th,Su 12PM-10PM and F-Sa 12PM-12AM. Closed on Tuesdays. Offers craft beers with 16 drafts and hundreds of bottles. Artisanal fare. Reservations are highly encouraged.
- Chill Wine Bar, 173 Main st, 845-765-0885, . W-Th 5PM-11PM. F-Sa 5PM-12AM. Su 3PM-10PM. Closed M-T. Offers rotating selection of wine and a tapas menu.
- Bank Square Coffeehouse, 129 Main St, 845-440-7165, . M-Th 6AM-9PM. F 6AM-10PM. Sa 7AM-10PM. Su 7AM-9PM.
- Swann Inn of Beacon (Neil Caplan and Darlene Swann), 120 Howland Ave. (9D to Howland Ave.), ☎ 8458316346. checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Relaxed Victorian B&B at the foot of Mt. Beacon. $137.50-$187.50. edit
- Botsford Briar, 19 High St. (Between Beekman St. and Tompkins Ave.), ☎ 845-831-6099, . Queen Anne Victorian that offers remarkable views of the Hudson River. Located ten-minute walk from Main Street, Metro-North and Dia. (41.509747,-73.980166) edit
- Roundhouse, 2 E Main st, 845-765-8369, . Overlooks the Beacon Falls. The main floor of The Roundhouse houses a restaurant and bar. Restaurant and bar are not exclusive to hotel guests.