Bangor  is a relatively small city in the Highlands region of Maine. It only has a little over 30,000, but has cultural facilities, including the University of Maine, that rival a much larger city.
- Bangor International Airport, 287 Godfrey Boulevard (Exit 46 or 47 on Interstate 95), Phone: +1 207 947-0384, . Passenger airlines: Allegiant, Delta, United, US Airways. There are non-stop flights to Bangor Airport from the following cities (some cities may be seasonal or only offer service certain days of the week): Chicago, Detroit, Fort Myers, Minneapolis St Paul, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Punta Gorda, Tampa and Washington .
- Concord Coach Lines, 1039 Union St. (across from airport), Phone: +1 207 945-4000, . Express or local routes from Boston through Portland.
- Greyhound Lines, Main and Union Sts., Phone: +1 207 945-3000, . Connections from Boston and Portland.
- Cyr Bus Lines, Phone: (800) 244-2335, . Service from northern Maine.
- West's Bus Service, . Service from eastern Maine (Calais, Machias, Ellsworth).
- Bangor Area Transit (BAT), 481 Maine Av., Phone: +1 207 992-4670, . Bus service.
- Downtown Bangor and the waterfront is easily explored by foot; the nearby Pickering Square parking garage offers the first two hours for free. Traveling to sites outside of downtown will require a car.
- Penobscot Theatre Company, 131 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 942-3333, .
- Bangor Symphony Orchestra, 51A Main Street, Phone: +1 207 942-5555, .
- Ten Bucks Theatre company, . Fine, quality theater. edit
- The Thomas Hill Standpipe, Phone: +1 207 947-4516, . The 110-ft (34 m) tall water tower that gives the Queen City its "crown," is open seasonally for tours. From the observation deck you can see to Mt. Katahdin on a clear day; enjoy the famous Maine foliage in the autumn. This requires climbing 100 steps, and is not handicapped accessible.
- Every summer, the River City Cinema Society shows free screenings of classic movies in Pickering Square. Bring a lawn chair and enjoy the show. .
Festivals and events
- The American Folk Festival, . Late August.
- Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race, . April.
- Senior League World Series, . Early August
- Kahbang Music & Art Festival, . August
- Cool Sounds Music Series, Mid June to August in Pickering Square
Do with Kids
It simply doesn't get any better than this:
- Maine Discovery Museum  (formerly Bangor Children's Museum)
74 Main St, Bangor, ME 04401, United States. (207) 262-7200. 3 full stories of fun for kids. Ideal for preschoolers but is also stimulating and entertaining for kids of all ages.
Downtown Bangor has a number of local stores.
- Stop at Epic Sports to get geared up for your outdoor adventures elsewhere in Maine; they carry equipment for nearly every sport in every season.
- Try the Grasshopper shop for funky clothes, cool toys, and kitchen wares.
- Friars Bakehouse, 21 Central St., Phone: +1 207 947-3770. Eat world famous fresh bread and other lunch offerings made by Fransiscan friars. It's small - you might have to share a table - but that's half the fun.
- Bagel Central, 33 Central St., Phone: +1 207 947-1654, . The only kosher restaurant north of Boston. In addition to bagels, sandwiches, soups and baked goods are sold. The dining area has tall ceilings with full length windows and can be very bright.
- Taste of India, 68 Main St, Phone: +1 207 945-6865. Wow wow wow, and a little more wow. Fantastic Indian food at a decent/phenomenal price: $6.95 or so for lunch specials (buffet Wed.-Fri.) and $10-$12 for some good evening grub. Good Indian beer and (domestic?) wine selection as well. Good service. Centrally located, right next to Maine Discovery Museum.
- Sea Dog Brewing Co., 26 Front St., Phone: +1 207 947-8004. .
Unless you want to stay downtown, the "better cheap hotels" are concentrated in the "Odlin Road" area, which includes some of the following and a few more (such as an Econolodge, which consistently boasts free WiFi and breakfasts):
- Best Western White House Inn, 155 Littlefield Avenue, ☎ +1 207 862-3737 (fax: +1 207 862-3737), . edit
- Fairfield Inn Bangor, 300 Odlin Road, ☎ +1 207 990-0001 (fax: +1 207 990-0917), . edit
- Fireside Inn and Suites, 570 Main Street, ☎ +1 207 942-1234 (fax: +1 207 942-1234), . edit
- Holiday Inn, 404 Odlin Rd & 395 At Hermon, ☎ +1 207 947-0101, . edit
Voted the best hotel in town by a local newspaper. The only hotel in this area with a hot tub. Breakfast not included. Internet terminal in foyer near hotel entrance. Use coupon's in McDonald's hotel coupon book for a discount. Regular prices hover around $100 but you can get a substantial discount ($69-$79).
- Motel 6, 1100 Hammond Street, ☎ +1 207 947-6921 (fax: +1 207 941-8543), . edit
- Four Points by Sheraton Bangor Airport, 308 Godfrey Blvd, ☎ +1 207 947-6721, . checkin: 3 PM; checkout: 12 PM. Just completed a multimillion dollar renovation, only hotel connected directly to the Bangor Int'l Aiport via an enclosed skywalk. edit
- Ramada Bangor, 357 Odlin Rd, I-95 - Exit 182-B, Bangor, Me 04401, ☎ 866-523-3959, . edit
- Courtyard by Marriott Bangor, 236 Sylvan Rd, Bangor Maine 04401 (North - I95 Exit 187 (Hogan Rd). Take a right off exit onto Hogan Rd & immediate right onto Sylvan Rd. Hotel will be on left just past Nissan dealership. South - I95 Exit 187 (Hogan Rd) turn left at 2nd traffic light turn right onto Sylvan Rd. hotel in on the left past Nissan dealership), ☎ 1-207-262-0070, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 12pm. Experience true Maine hospitality at the new Courtyard by Marriott hotel in Bangor. This state of the art Bangor hotel offers the new Courtyard by Marriott design, the latest technology, amenities and décor that exceed the expectations of today's business and leisure traveler. Yes, you can get there from here! With quick access to I95, business travelers are just minutes from the Bangor Intl. Airport and area corporations including the University of Maine Orono, (Go Black Bears!) Eastern Maine Healthcare, Husson College, Cianbro and General Electric. Maine's famous lakes, mountains and coastline are just a short, scenic drive away. Our friendly staff can direct you to favorite spots like Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, The Maine Highland region and Baxter State Park. edit
- Fairfield Inn Bangor, 300 Odlin Road, ☎ 1-207-990-0001, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Located near the Bangor International Airport, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Bangor, ME hotel offers guests the comforts and conveniences of home with everything they need for a successful business trip or family vacation. edit