Bandipur is a small hill-top town in Nepal.
Take a bus ride or private ride from any of the bigger cities (Kathmandu, Pokhara or Narayanghar) to Dumbre Bazaar. Often this will mean having to get a bus ticket for all the way to another big city but getting off when you reach the Dumbre Bazaar. From here you can get a place in a packed shared jeep up the mountainside to get to the village. There is a high chance you will find yourself seated on the roof of the jeep. Other options are to hike from Bimalnagar or Dumre (via Siddha Gufa).
Bandipur is small enough to walk around the entire village.
Some places to see around Bandipur are -
- Tudikhel - A flat hill top area in north side of town that provides a magnificent view of the Himalayan range on a clear day.
- Gurunche Dada - A nice small hill to climb if you like short hikes
- Temple of Khadga Devi - During the festival of Dashain many familes and the whole town gather to do Puja and worship the Sacred Sword. This is a long tradition that has been followed by the entire town and the surrounding villagers since the lengendary history stories.
- There's a cave that you can make a long hike down the mountainside into the jungle, but be warned that unscrupulous locals will often stand at the entrance and attempt to charge you extortionate amounts of money to let you enter and insist that you take them as a guide. While it's important to have a guide (and a torch) in the cave, they are almost certainly overcharging! Be warned!
There are a few charming home-stays/hotels to choose from, almost all with spectacular views
- Bandipur Mountain Resort, Tudhikhel (edge of Tudhikhel), ☎ +97 765 520125, . Restaurant is open for lunchtime meals, swimming pool, good views of the surrounding landscape and the grounds have a mixed canopy of pine and sal trees. US$40 BB. edit
- Peepal Chautari, ☎ 9846321873. This guesthous is good and the cheapest option. It is clean although at night bugs will come into your room if you turn on the lights. There is no hot water but they give hot water in a bucket. To get there you need to walk down the main street. Go to the left when it forks and walk up the stairs about 5 minutes. You should see a sign behind a gate. 400 rupees for a double room. edit