Bamberg is in Upper Franconia, a region in Bavaria, Germany.
The town is situated at 49° 53' 38" N and 10° 53' 8" E, and has slightly over 70,000 residents. For its historical architecture and preserved heritage, the whole town of Bamberg is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Deutsche Bahn serves Bamberg with frequent and dependable train service. Frequent trains run to Wurzburg, Nuremberg, and Bayreuth, and there are even express trains to Munich and Berlin. See Deutsche Bahn's website for more information.
Walking is best throughout the Altstadt (old city center). The Hauptbahnhof (train station) is less than 2 km northeast of the Altstadt. Walk or take a bus.
Altes Rathaus over the river
Alte Hofhaltung (Old Court)
Bamberg Church of Our Lady
Neue Residenz (New Residence)
- Alte Hofhaltung (Old Court) is a complex of buildings that once served as the bishop's residence. There you can find also the Museum of History and St. Katherine's Chapel.
- Altes Rathaus is perched in the middle of a bridge above the Regnitz River and is a must-see. .
- Botanical Garden, Mühlwörth 21, 96047 Bamberg tel.+49951871351
- Church of Our Lady is the only purely gothic church in town. Its baroque organ is simply awesome.
- Dom (Cathedral) contains the intriguing Bamberg Rider sculpture. No one knows for sure who the young royal rider is.
- New Residence served as the seat of Bamberg's prince bishops. Its architecture and decoration dates from the 17th and 18th centuries. The state galleries inside the building contains collection of old German and baroque paintings.
- St.Martin's Church is the only baroque church.
- Concert hall (Konzerthalle Bamberg), Mußstraße 1, 96047 Bamberg, ☎ +499519647200, . edit
- Golf Club, Hauptsmoorwald Bamberg e.V., Zollnerstr., 96052 Bamberg, ☎ +499519684331, . edit
- Sandkerwa, . It is held over the last weekend in August, Sandkerwa is a six day folk festival that consumes the entire town, with some 300,000 people attending. It is a festival with offerings of beer and food that rivals or even exceeds the likes of Oktoberfest and includes local traditions such as "fish jousting". edit
- Spezialkeller, Sternwartstraße 1, 96049 Bamberg (up the stairs near Concordia, turn left and left again), ☎ 0951/54887. The openair-(in summer time)-location to drink the mentioned Spezial-Beer (lightly smokey, not so tough for newbies and also preferred by my domestic drinkers over Schlenkerla) with typical local food having a real must-have panorama view over the city. edit
- Walking. Just walk around and simply enjoy. edit
- Salino Holzofenpizza, Schillerplatz, Bamberg, ☎ +4995157980, . Pizza restaurant edit
Try Rauchbier (English: Smoked beer), unique to Bamberg. The two main brewers are Schlenkerla and Spezial, both of which have taverns where you can sample the beers.
- Café Abseits Bamberg, Pödeldorfer Str. 39, 96052 Bamberg, ☎ +49951303422, . It is near the train station on the side oppisite of the Altstadt. They usually have beers from some of the smaller breweries in the countryside (on a rotating Beer of the Month basis). edit
- Backpackers Bamberg, Heiliggrabstraße 4, ☎ +499512221718, . (49.899601,10.895644) edit
- Best Western Hotel Bamberg, Luitpoldstraße 7, 96052 Bamberg, ☎ +49951510900, . edit
Nearby towns and cities: