Baisha is in Lijiang.
Baisha means white sand. A more natural sort of 'old town' as is the popular phrase in the area. Lots of small shops and a few nice places to eat and relax. By far the most legit old town in Lijiang and not far either.
Bike: about thirty minutes north of Shuhe.
Bus: served by the number 6
Bike: bumpy cobblestone streets can be a pain in this very small village.
Walk: it's small. Easily navigated on foot
Dr. He or Ho: on the main Street you can find his house. It's plastered with newspaper articles about him. If you're sick he will hook you up with herbal remedies. Speaks English.
Culture centres: there are a few of these places around.
Dabaoji palace: the murals are here and some other stuff.
- Baisha Murals, Baisha Old Village. Baisha village was once Lijiang's political, economic and cultural center. There remains 55 Baisha murals, paintings in fine brushwork, succinct, a fusion of Tibetan Buddhist painting in smooth beautiful style. This art treasure is reflective of the deep traditions and characteristics of Naxi culture. edit
Wander around in the relaxed atmosphere. Fewer tour groups go through here. Find a nice place to sit and enjoiy your surroundings.
Cultural lessons: there appear to be lessons in the cultural centers.
- The Baisha Naxi Embroidery Institute, Baisha Village, ☎ 13095230065. The Baisha Naxi Embroidery Institute. The mission of this institute is to protect, save, inherit. develop and promote the Naxi traditional hand-made embroidery.This institute is located in the Baisha Village, 12 kms away from the Lijiang city.There are many local embroiderers and many nice hand-made embroideries there.It is a typical Naxi style courtyard witht a very nice surroundings .It is a very beautiful place,you have to go there. edit
- Cycle the area, Baisha Village and neighboring villages. Bikes are available for rent at Baisha Holiday Resort Lijiang for ¥35 per day. There are many beautiful bike trails in the area, including: A: Baisha Old Town-Yufeng Monastery-Jade Water Village-Yuhu Village-Yuhu Lake-Baisha Old Town(20KM cycling) B: Baisha Old Town-Yanjiao Village-Fuguo Monastery-Baisha Old Town (15KM cycling) C: Baisha Old Town-Dongwen Village-Shuhe Old Town-Baisha Old Town (10KM cycling) D: Baisha Old Town-Dongwen Village-Shuhe Old Town-Dayan Old Town-Black Dragon Pool-Baisha Old Town (20KM cycling) edit
Hand made hotpots and other metal work: The really nice hotpot was apparently 1600RMB so be prepared.
Tibetan souvenirs: there's at least one little shop operated by a great Tibetan guy in a cowboy hat. Good place to sit and enjoy tea if pondering a purchase or two. Speaks some English and more Mandarin.
Embroidered stuff: apparently a good place to buy Naxi embroidery.
The same things that you can buy in old towns all over the area.
Wooden Restaurant on the Corner: great little family run restaurant popular with locals for takeaway. Vegetable dishes around 15RMB and meat dishes around 30RMB. Order by choosing your ingredients from the cooler inside or name if you're good with that.
- Double Lee's Kitchen Baisha Old Town, No.33 Sanyuan Village, Baisha Ancient Town, Lijiang,Yunnan, Yunnan Province,China, ☎ 0888-5482288. Located in the backyard of Baisha Holiday Resort Lijiang. Double Lee's Kitchen consists of two floors, you can have a nice view of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain from the second floor, and the view of the nice backyard garden with some walnut trees from the first floor. Double Lee's kitchen serves many authentic home style dishes, such as huangmen chicken (黄焖鸡, a kind of stir-fried chicken), hot pot with salted spareribs (腊排骨火锅), stewed chicken with Chinese wild yam (山药炖鸡), braised beef in sauce (红烧牛肉), braised fish in sauce (红烧鱼),wild mushroom (野山菌), hoosh (杂锅菜), bean jelly made from Jidou, a kind of special bean in Lijiang (鸡豆凉粉). edit
Chine Chine: French wine bar and cafe.
A few nice looking, glass encased cafes are along the main street.
- The Flying Tiger's Teahouse and Cafe, Baisha Old Town, ☎ 18608888143. A nice place to sit, relax, and enjoy various types of tea signature of the Yunnan Province, such as Puer Tea, and Yunnan Black Tea. edit
There are a few guesthouses in the town to stay at with more opening up.
- Baisha Holiday Resort Lijiang (丽江白沙别院精品度假酒店), 中国云南省丽江市白沙古镇三元村33号 No.33 Sanyuan Village, Baisha Ancient Town, Lijiang,Yunnan, Yunnan Province,China (150 meters west of the Square Street of Baisha Old Town.), ☎ 0086-888-5482288 (Mobile: 0086-18608888143), . checkin: 06:00; checkout: 13:00. Baisha Holiday Resort Lijiang is located in Baisha Ancient Town in the Eastern Himalayas of Yunnan Province. It is a quaint private inn which has sustained traditional Naxi characteristics. Baisha Ancient Town is about 10KM away from Lijiang city center, 20KM away from the Lijiang Railway Station and 40KM away from Lijiang International Airport. Housed in 800 year old, traditional hand-crafted Naxi architecture and environment, nice guest rooms with full western facilities. Each room has individual shower, toilet and wash-basin areas, HD digital TV with satellite service for English movies, documentary and news channels, and wireless internet. Some rooms offer full views of nearby Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and its plush foothills, while all rooms have a view of the courtyard garden and tea lounge. Tea tasting is available upon request. On some nights, a Naxi cultural dance and fire party with a traditional Naxi orchestra is arranged to play, as well as a barbecue with hotel guests and staff. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is available at the resort through reservations with traditional or western style options. Specific meals can also be prepared upon request. Bikes are available for rent. Standard rooms start from ¥150 to ¥660. 150-660. edit
Bike: to Shuhe - 20 minutes or Lijiang 40 minutes
Bus: number 6