Będzin (Ben-dzeen) is an old medieval city in Silesian Voivodeship.
Katowice airport offers wide choice of destinations:
- LOT Polish Airlies: Warsaw,
- Lufthansa: Frankfurt, Munich
- Ryanair: Athens, Birmingham, Bologna, Brindisi, Catania, Cologne/Bonn, Cork, Dortmund, Dublin, Edinburgh, Goteborg, Kyiv-Boryspil, London-Stansted, Manchester, Milan-Bergamo, Odessa, Oslo-Sanderfjord, Paphos
- Wizz air: Alesund, Athens, Barcelona, Bergen, Bristol, Catania, Cologne/Bonn, Doncaster/Sheffield, Dortmunnd, Eindhoven, Fuerteventura, Kharkiv, Kyiv-Zhuliany, Kutaisi, Larnaca, Liverpool, London-Luton, Lviv, Malmo, Malta, Milan-Bergamo, Sanderfjord, Reykjavik-Keflavik, Rome-Ciampino, Stavanger, Stockholm-Skavista, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Tenerife-South, Odessa
seasonal: Alghero, Burgas, Castellón, Dubai-Al Maktoum, Malaga, Podgorica, Santander, Split
Bus AP2 stops in Będzin near football stadium.
There're many buses from Katowice, Bytom, Sosnowiec or Dąbrowa Górnicza which stop in Będzin. There're also buses from Kielce, Vienna, Ostrava, Prague, Munich, Brno and Berlin stopping here. You can check their timetables on E-Podroznik site.
Main railway station is located in the end of the main street. There're direct connection with many Silesian Voivodeship cities as well as Opole, Wrocław, Łódź, Toruń, Bydgoszcz, Gdańsk, Olsztyn, Warsaw, Białystok and Kielce.
Via Regia, a part of Camino de Santiago crosses Będzin. Polish Winged Hussars' Trail starts in the city center.
Castle Hill Complex The most remarkable Będzin's landmark composed by following objects:
- Będzin Castle-built in 13 century, restored in 19 century and 50s. It hosted Polish kings John III Sobieski, Augustus II the Strong and Stanisław August Poniatowski. There's a modest historical exhibition inside.
- Holy Trinity church -Bulit in 13 century, rebuilt in 17 and 19 ones.
- Saint Thomas Church- a tiny 18 century church located on the cemetery
- Jewish cemetery- Located in the forest on Castle Hill
- Synagogue Memorial- The monument commemorates the big synagogue which was located on the castle hill and burned by German Nazi in 1939.
- City Walls- Fragments of medieval city walls are located on Zaułek street.
- Lustiger family house (Kołłątaj street 34)- House where familly of cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger used to live before moving to France.
- Gzichów Palace- 18 century palace of Mieroszewski family with a garden. It hosts a museum. There're classical music concerts organised inside.
- Mizrachi Synagogue- 19 century Jewish prayer house with beautiful ornaments and decorations. Sightseeing is available only after contacting Brama Cukermana foundation before.
- Golgotha of East Sanctuary (Sanktuarium Golgoty Wschodu)- Sanctuary located in Syberka Settlement, built in 70s. There's a small exhibition on Polish martyrdom. The main holiday's celebrated 31th of May.
- Saint Barbara Church (Kościół św.Barbary) A tiny church from 20s in Koszelew district. It's located in ex- Ksawery coal mine's congragation hall. There's a Black Madonna picture worshipped by local people. The main holiday's celebrated 4th of December.
- Małobądz Railway Station- 19 century railway station in Małobądz district, nowaday abandoned
- Underground path- Visiting it is available after contacting Będzin Museum
- Grodziec- Postindustrial district with such remarkable landmarks as old cement plant (cementownia), Ciechanowski Family Palace, Villa Solvay, old brewery ,Blessed Honorat Koźmiński church and St.Katharine's church.
- Góra Parcina-High hill in Grodziec district with interwar glider hangar
- Góra Kijowa. High hill in Grodziec district with an abandoned stone pit.
- Góra św.Doroty- High hill with 17 century Saint Dorothy Church. Holy Masses are celebrated every 6th day of the month at 3 PM. Main holidays celebrated here are 6th of February and August.
- Las Grodziecki- big forest area with walking paths and Glinice stream springs
- Sacred Heart Church (kościół Najświętszego Serca Pana Jezusa)- Contemporary church in Ksawera district with beautiful pastel polychromies. There's a retired priests house nearby.
- Saint Jadwiga Śląska Church- Contemporary church with sgraffito decorations. It's also a great view point on the city,
- Rozkówka Park- park in Grodziec district with many walking paths
- Zamkowe Settlement- Settlement near the city center with interesting appartments houses.
- Syberka Settlement- According to the legend it gained its name after the place from which Polish 19 century uprisings' participants were exiled to Siberia. It's composed by high appartement houses located on the hill. It's also a great view point.
- Saint John the Baptist church (kościół św. Jana Chrzciciela). A tiny and lovely church in the city center. Although the church was built in contemporary times, its building's style reminds historical ones. The interior is modest and painted in yellow.
- Łagisza. A villas district with modernist Immaculate Conception church, Cegielnia pond and memorial dedicated to victims of Auschwitz German Nazi Concentration Camp's branch which headed in Łagisza between 1941-45.
- Warpie. District on hills. Its highest point's Warpie mountain (350 m)
- Wzgórza Małobądzkie. High hills with great view points on the city.
- Saint Brother Albert church (kościół św. Brata Alberta). Quite modest but nice church in district of Warpie. There's a beautiful view point on Wzgórza Małobądzkie.
- Viaduct. Viaduct covered with street art located between district of Grodziec and city of Czeladź.
- Underground pass . Underground pass between city center and castle hill with walls covered with street art connected to Będzin and its history.
Before the IInd World War majority of city dwellers were Jewish people. That's why the city was called Polish Jerusalem. There're many buildings connected with Jewish history in Będzin:
- Wiener's House (Małachowski and Potocki street)
- New Jewish cemetery(Zagórska Street)
- Jewish Maternity Hospital (Podzamcze street)
- Jewish Orphanage (Sienkiewicz street 17)
- Ghetto Memorial (Podsiadło street)
Będzin parks and Black Przemsza boulevards are ideal for walks. Góra Parcina and Góra św. Doroty are a good place for hikers.
There're many trails as Szlak Husarii Polskiej (Polish Winged Hussars' Trail) or Szlak Świerklaniecki starting in Będzin.
- Teatr Dzieci Zagłębia, . hosts many children spectacles year-round. edit
- City library, . organises meetings with local authors and other events. edit
- Będzin Culture House, . and its Grodziec district branch use to organise many events and concerts. edit
- Youth Culture House, . also hosts different events. edit
- City beach is located near Przemsza river on Brzozowicka street.
Będzin has a good accomodation options:
- hotel Cumulus, Sportowa street 3. edit Mid-range hotel in the city center with spa and tennis court, bike rentals, rooms with free WIFI
- Black Jack, Partyzantów street 3A. edit An object near Będzin castle and city center with a terrace, rooms with WIFI.
- Orange Tree hostel, Modrzejowska street 27. edit A hostel in the city center, rooms with free WIFI
- Gościnne Gniazdo, Rolnicza street 5. edit An apartment in Małobądz district, garden and barbecue place, room with free WiFi
- hostel Zakątek, Jedności street 139. edit A hostel in Łagisza district, bike rental, garden and barbecue place, rooms with free WIFI
- Noclegi ANNI, Kołłątaj street 56. edit An object in Grodziec district with garden, rooms with free WIFI
- Villa68, Długa street 68A. edit An object in Małobądz district with garden
- hotel Marco, Józef Retinger street 1. edit Hotel in Syberka settlement with restaurant
- hotel Allegri, Żeromski street 11. edit A hotel with restaurant in Małobądz, near 86 route
- Sportowa Dolina, Sportowa street 4a. edit An object located in the city center, near sport center
- hotel Anna, Usługowa street 4. edit A hotel in Łagisza district with restaurant
- Siedlisko, Podzamcze 51. edit Guest rooms near Będzin castle, rooms with WIFI, barbecue place, garden.
- hostel Będzin, Promyka 5. edit Hostel located in district of Warpie, game room, garden, bar
- Noclegi Iwona, Pokoju 29/44. edit Apartment located in Łagisza, balcony
- hostel Karolinka, Odkrywkowa 129. edit Hostel located in district of Grodziec, near Las Grodziecki, free WiFi
- Apartamenty Nova, Modrzejowska 65. edit Apartment in city center
In general city center is rather safe but you'd better stay cautious visiting it after dusk (especially side street). Try to avoid Syberka and Ksawera settlements after dusk, especially when you travel alone. Koszelew and Grodziec are poor district so try not to flaunt wealth. Łagisza is said to be the safest of Będzin's districts.
Wild boars are very common in Będzin's forests and parks. Try not to walk alone in the woods after dusk.
- Będzin Region — Region of beautiful nature, small villages and tiny churches
- Wojkowice — Small town with two churches from interwar period
- Dąbrowa Górnicza — City of Pogoria lakes, Błędowska Desert and other interesting landmarks.
- Czeladź — An old city with many interesting places to see
- Sosnowiec — A postindustrial city with many interesting places
- Katowice — Capital city of Silesian Voivodeship
- Świerklaniec — Village famous by its palace
- Przeczyce Lake- popular summer destination with public beaches
- Siewierz — Small town with castle ruins
- Sławków — Another small town with castle ruins