Atyrau is in the northern area of the Caspian sea in western Kazakhstan. Atyrau is located on the delta of the Ural river, 20 meters below sea level. Atyrau is divided by the Ural, which is part of the border between Europe and Asia making Atyrau one of two cities in the world to be located on two different continents. It is a major hub for the oil industry, serving both the Tengiz and Kashagan oilfields. About 80% of the city's population is ethnic Kazakh.
Atyrau origins can be traced back to the 1640's. Initially it was a fortified town located at the mouth of the Yaik River, where it flowed into the Caspian Sea. The Yaik would eventually be renamed by Catherine II and become the Ural River. The town was originally built using wood, however after being plundered by Cossacks, the town was rebuilt using stone by the Guryev family who were the first to start a fishery on the river and extract Emba oil. Consequently from 1708 to 1992 the city was known as Guryev in honour of the founding family. Since 1992 however the city has been known as Atyrau which means 'the place where the river flows into the sea'. The Ural river marks a border between Asia and Europe. Thus it is said that the Ural divides Atyrau into two parts, European and Asian. Originally the city was constructed mainly on the Europen side. Oil development began in the city during the late 19th century and today is the primary industry in Atyrau.
It is possible to enter Atyrau by air and by rail. If entering from outside of Kazakhstan you will need to obtain a visa prior to arrival. Consult the Kazakh embassy website for your country regarding for further details on visa requirements and restrictions.
Atyrau International Airport (IATA: GUW)  provides passenger service through:
Air Astana, which services routes between Atyrau and Aktau, Almaty, Amsterdam, Astana, Istanbul, and Moscow-Sheremetyevo); Bek Air, which services routes between Atyrau and Almaty and Oral; SCAT Airlines, which services routes between Aktau, Almaty, Astana, Kokshetau, and Stavropol Krai; and Transaero, which services routes between Atyrau and Moscow-Vnukovo.
There is a train station is located in the Northeastern part of Atyrau. It is located near Dina Market on Satibaldiyev Street.
There are domestic trains serving Atyrau from Aktau (21 hours); Aktobe (16 hours); Almaty Station 1 (50 hours); and [[Almaty] Station 2 (36 hours).
Atyrau lies along the Moscow-Volograd-Uzbekistan rail route and there are options for entering Atyrau by rail Russia (Astrakhan - 14 hours, Moscow - 40 hours, and Saratov - 21 hours), Uzbekistan (Tashkent - 49 hours, Kungrad - 20 hours) and Tajikistan (Dushanbe - 60 hours).
Up to date information can be obtained directly form the rail station of departure. There is a Kazakh Rail website from which tickets can be purchased online,  however this site currently only has Kazakh and Russian language options. Tickets can also be purchased online from Russina Railways english reservation site .
Taxis in Atyrau are commonly unmarked and there are no standard fares or meters. Most fares should cost KZT 500. Longer fares may cost 700 but it depends on how much you are willing to haggle about the price. Be sure to agree on the fare before getting into a taxi. Show the driver the money to be paid to confirm the price you are willing to pay before getting into a taxi or else the driver will likely argue for a larger fare.
There are bookable taxi services such as Rhythm (phone: 252525) and Voyage (phone: 326045). These will likely be a little more expensive. If leaving a club or bar late at night, it would be advisable to book a taxi instead of walking or hailing a cab.
Atyrau has bus service, however route information is not available online at this time. The bus fare is KZT 50 for travel within the city.
- Atyrau Art Gallery. Located across the street from Atyrau's History Museum. Has an extensive collection of Kazakh paintings and modern artwork including works produced by local artists. edit
- Atyrau History Museum, 3 Momyshuly St, ☎ +7 7122 32 36 64, . Tue - Sun: 9:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 6:00pm. The museum opened its doors in 1939. It has exhibits relating to Kazakh culture, crafts, architecture and history specific to the region of Atyrau. KZT 200 Entrance Fee. edit
- Imangali Mosque, 15 Satpaev St, . This mosque built in 2000 can house 600 people. It is open to all visitors. edit
- Isatay and Makhmbet Place, Satpaev St, . The Monument here is a tribute to Makhambet Utemisov and Isatay Taymanov, freedom fighters who played key roles Kazakhstan's rebellion in the 1800's. edit
- Riverside Beach, . Not much information on this yet. Stay tuned. edit
- Saraishyk, 50 km north of Atryau, . A village now stands where there was once an ancient city that was part of the Silk Road trade route. It is possible to visit a small Museum commemorating the site and to wander around the site itself which is largely unprotected. To get here drive north out of Atyrau on the A28 highway and watch for the sign signalling the turn off on the right hand side. edit
- The White House. No info on this site yet. Coming soon. edit
- Uspenskiy Sobor Cathedral, 4 Isatay Taimanov St, ☎ +7 7122 27 10 35, . Built in 1883, this is one of the oldest buildings in modern-day Atyrau. edit
- Victory Park, . Not much info on this park. edit
- Zhilgorodskoy Beach, . No info on this beach available just yet edit
- Zhilgorodskoy park, . Not much info on this park yet. edit
This section may currently be a little barren, however during spring and summer it should be possible to arrange boat trips on the Ural and to rent bikes for riding around the city. Some sites also reference the 'Chock Mountains' and a Salt Lake in Atyrau as well. Specific details will be posted as they come to light. Some hotels, such as Renaissance offer fitness options like gyms and swimming pools as well as spa facilities.
- Chaplin Cinema, 17A Satpaeva St | Atyrau Mall, . Located on the second floor of Atyrau Mall. This cinema has 3 screen and plays hollywood movies. There may be dubbing but this in unconfirmed. edit
- Strike Bowling. Bowling alley that offers pizza and drinks in addition to the lanes. Location to come soon. edit
- Ice Skating Palace. The ice rink where Atyrau's hockey team plays also hosts public skates on the weekends. You can rent skates here and even buy a jersey. edit
- Bike Rentals, . 4pm-2am. It is possible to rent bikes and ride around Atyrau during the spring and summer. There aren't any kiosks, the bikes are just unloaded from trucks and placed just off the Ural river walkway. While the hours above list 4pm as the opening hour it is worth noting that the people operating the rentals actually show up between 4pm and 6pm to offer this service. 500T per hr /3000 T per day. edit
- Real Quest Atyrau, 89A Zharbusinova St | Bai-Tal business center (near Renaissance and Ardager), ☎ +7(707)711-2240, . 2PM-10PM. The first in Atyrau "Escape the room" type quest games 2000-3000 KZT per person. edit
- Ardager, 17A Satpayev St. Ardager mall has small jewelry and make-up stands near the escalators and two large cosmetic stores, Mon Amie and Beauty Manie. There are a variety of clothes shops such as Mango and Timberland. They have an international grocery store called Pamctop (pronounced Ramstore). Ardager also has a variety of places to eat, offering sushi (in front of Pamctop), ice-cream (Baskin Robbins), burgers, and traditional Kazakh food (Campyk - pronouned Samrook). The shops and restaurants in Ardager accept debit and credit cards. Manjali Mosque, Mukhambet Square and the Renaissance Hotel are all within walking distance of the mall. KZT 100 - 500,000. edit
- Атаба, 34A Gabdieyv R. St, ☎ +7 712 275 5255, . Атаба (pronounced Ataba) is a chain of small supermarkets where you can buy groceries and household items. Some Атаба locations also have pharmacies. There are numerous locations throughout Atyrau.
- Dina Market. Local souvenirs, clothes, electronics, fresh produce and more. Dina has it all covered. Regarded as the best market in town. If buying clothes, haggle for discounts. edit
- Koktem Market. Koktem is popular for the quality of produce they sell. There are also some clothing shops and kitchenware shops here as well. edit
- Tamasha, 37 Satpayev St, . 10:00am - 10:00pm. Tamasha, has clothes shops, like United Colors of Benetton, Tvoe, Incity, Motors, Kira Plastinina, etc. They also have a Japanese restaurant with a bar on the first floor called Yamato. They also have a price-saver grocery store called Ideal and a large toy store. The top floor has a kids play area. Shops in Tamasha accept debit and credit cards. Recreational activities nearby include horseback and yak riding as well as a carousel and a Ferris wheel. However these activities are seasonal. There is a Russian Circus hosted here for about 2 weeks every year. KZT 100 - 300,000. edit
- adbi, 33 Satpayev St. Sun - Fri: 9:00am - 7:00pm Sat - Sun: 10:00am - 5:00pm. If you are in need of scissors, glue, coloured pens/pencils and other school supplies you'll find them there. edit
- Armada, 12 Kurmangazy St, ☎ +7 7122 26 20 31, . 12:00pm - 2:00am. While regarded as somewhat pricey, this steakhouse has a selection of beef or horse for steaks and they also brew their own beer as well. There is also a Karaoke bar at a separate entrance. edit
- Aspava, 58 Isataya St, ☎ +7 7122 27 23 50, . 24/7. Offers turkish cuisine. Open all day and all night. edit
- Barrel Restaurant, 10 Shokan Valikhanov St, ☎ +7 7122 35 52 44, . This restaurant has a reputation for good food as well as its presentation. Steaks and sushi are popular choices here. They also are well known for good desserts such as cheesecake and apple crumble. edit
- Bavarius, 12A 4th Microdistrict Avangard, ☎ +7 7122 20 32 51, . 12:00pm - 2:00am. Bavarius has a reputation for good food and good beer, which they brew in-house. It's a popular spot on the weekends so it is wise to call ahead on reserve a table if you're interesting going on Friday or Saturday night. edit
- Blackberry, 17A Satpayev St, ☎ +7 7782 08 62 81, . Offers pizza, sushi and salads as well as a variety of drinks. edit
- Booblik, 55 Azattyk Ave, ☎ +7 7122 32 13 13, . This French restaurant offers a variety of teas, coffees, and pastries as well as quiche and sandwiches, pizza and more. edit
- Cafe Bar Joy, 113 Kulmanova St, ☎ +7 7122 20 17 92, . Sun - Thu: 12:00pm - 12:00am Fri - Sat: 12:00pm - 5:00am. Offers a wide selection of food and drink though occasionally some menu items for food and drink may not be available. Has an outside terrace. edit
- Самрук, 17A Satpayev St | Atyrau Mall, . Pronounced 'Samrook' and located in the Atyrau Mall. This restaurant offers some international cuisine and a good variety of authentic Kazakh food.
- Chai Lounge, 15B Satpaev St | Renaissance Hotel, ☎ +7 7122 90 96 24, . Menu covers a wide range including steaks, burgers pizzas, sandwiches, as well as some Turkish and Kazakh cuisine. edit
- Champions, 15B Satpaev St | Renaissance Hotel, ☎ +7 7122 90 96 75, . Offers typical American-style pub food such as nachos, steaks, quesadillas, burgers, etc. edit
- Cinzano, 25 Momyshuly St, ☎ +7 7122 32 11 59, . Serves Italian and Japanese cuisine including sushi. It can be a little tricky to find this restaurant. Travelling from the European side of Atyrau via Satpaev, continue along Abay St until you see cafe 'Cake House' and shortly thereafter BTA bank. Cinzano will be behind BTA bank. edit
- Coco's, 2 Azattyk Ave, ☎ +7 7122 99 60 96, . Open from breakfast onwards. Offers European food and has an optional buffet. edit
- East West Restaurant, 5 Smagulova St, . Offers buffet breakfast and lunch and ‘a la carte’ dinner. There is also a lounge bar offering a range of bar food as well as a selection of wines, domestic and imported beers and drinks. edit
- Fiesta, 5B Satpaev St, ☎ +7 7122 97 03 76, . This restaurant offers Mexican, Thai, Chinese, and Continental cuisine. The menu apparently covers a vast range of dishes. It is located nearby the Dina Nurpeisova Folk Music Academy edit
- Fudzi, 48B Satpaev St, ☎ +7 7122 20 18 78, . Sushi restaurant. While the address may be listed as Satpaev St, you'll actually find this restaurant one street in from Satpaev on the side where the traffic flows east towards Asia. Look for the sign in Kazakh 'Фудзи'. This restaurant can be quite popular on the weekends so it's worth booking in advance if you're going there on Friday or Saturday. edit
- Guns & Roses, 4 Abay St, ☎ +7 7122 32 78 78, . Sun - Thu: 11:00 am - 2:00 am Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 5:00 am. This Hard-Rock Cafe style pub is located in the Ak Zhaik Hotel. They offer steaks and burgers, pizza, pastas and sandwiches. There is a full drink menu. edit
- Il Patio (Planeta Sushi), 2 Satpaev St, ☎ +7 7122 98 00 63, . Offers Italian cuisine such as pizza and pasta. Also offers meat, seafood and sushi. edit
- O’Neill’s Irish Pub, 1 Smagulov St, . 12:00pm - 1:00am. Offers “O’Neills all day breakfast” in addition to sandwiches, burgers and wood-oven cooked pizza. Good variety of beer on tap. edit
- Petrovski, 2, Azattyk Street, ☎ +7 7122 32 10 92, . Description: Well known for it's bright and lively interior decoration, serves Asian and European cuisine. edit
- Petrushka Brasserie, 24 Azattyk Ave, ☎ +7 7122 32 38 87, . Serves soups salads and pizza, burgers, pastas, kebabs and more. They have English menus but don't expect full service in English. However they do have a reputation for friendly quick and efficient service in spite of the language barrier. edit
- Pizza La Roma, 5 Kurmangazy St, ☎ +7 7122 28 37 00, . Delivery available edit
- Prime Pub, 69 Azattyk Ave, ☎ +7 7773 78 88 88, . 6:00pm - 1:00am. This pub offers a nice selection of pretty typical pub-fare on it's menu. You can try horse meat here as well if you're feeling adventurous. edit
- Rucola, 17B Azattyk Ave, . Sun - Thu: 11:00 am - 12:00 am Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 1:00 am. Located somewhere between Spice Club and Booblik. Offers italian food with Brunch buffet on Sundays (11:00am - 3:00pm). edit
- Sancak, 9 Azattyk Ave, ☎ 7 7122 32 85 75, . Serves Turkish cuisine like kebabs, mezze, baklava and more. All menu is halal. edit
- Silk Restaurant, 15B Satpaev St | Renaissance Hotel, ☎ +7 7122 90 96 00, . Located in the Renaissance Hotel. Features a show kitchen as well as local and international cuisine. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with full American buffet breakfast or continental breakfast. edit
- Taksim Fastfood, 107 Kulmanova St, ☎ +7 7122 50 23 58, . A fast food restaurant. They serve pizza, burgers and other types of fast food. edit
- Taksim Cafe, 9A Abay St (In the Atyrau first class zone), . There are pizza-soups-calat-lamb sish-steaks. Without alcohol. Halal. edit
- Yamato, 37 Satpayev St, . Located at the base of Tashima Mall. Sushi restaurant with reasonable variety of offerings, serves saki. edit
- Armada, 12 Kurmangazy St, ☎ +7 7122 26 20 31, . 12:00pm - 2:00am. Regarded as somewhat pricey, they brew their own beer as well and have a wide selection of drinks. They have live music / DJs on the weekends and a larger dance floor. There is also a Karaoke bar at a separate entrance. edit
- Barrel Bar & Restaurant, 10 Shokan Valikhanov St, ☎ +7 7122 35 52 44, . They have live entertainment / DJs on the weekend. Not much info available on drink selection yet. edit
- Bavarius, 12A 4th Microdistrict Avangard, ☎ +7 7122 20 32 51, . 12:00pm - 2:00am. Bavarius has a reputation as a happening spot in Atyrau so booking in advance would be wise on Friday/Saturday night. They have good beer, which they brew in-house and a wide a variety of drinks available as well. They have live music / DJ service on the weekends. edit
- Blackberry, 17A Satpayev St, ☎ +7 7782 08 62 81, . Offers a variety of drinks and live music / DJs on the weekends. edit
- Cafe Bar Joy, 113 Kulmanova St, ☎ +7 7122 20 17 92, . Sun - Thu: 12:00pm - 12:00am Fri - Sat: 12:00pm - 5:00am. Offers a wide selection of drinks though occasionally some menu items may not be available. Offers live music on the weekend. Has an outside terrace. edit
- Champions, 15B Satpaev St | Renaissance Hotel, ☎ +7 7122 90 96 75, . Sports bar with good selection of beer, pub grub and plentiful TVs. They also have live entertainment from time to time. edit
- Cinzano, 25 Momyshuly St, ☎ +7 7122 32 11 59, . It can be a little tricky to find this restaurant. Travelling from the European side of Atyrau via Satpaev, continue along Abay St until you see cafe 'Cake House' and shortly thereafter BTA bank. Cinzano will be behind BTA bank. Not much known about this place as a bar yet, it seems they have DJs on the weekends. edit
- East West Restaurant, 5 Smagulova St, . In addition to the restaurant, there is also a lounge bar offering a range of bar food as well as a selection of wines, domestic and imported beers and drinks. edit
- Guns & Roses, 4 Abay St, ☎ +7 7122 32 78 78, . Sun - Thu: 11:00 am - 2:00 am Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 5:00 am. This Hard-Rock Cafe style pub is located in the Ak Zhaik Hotel. There is a full drink menu as well as the usual pub grub. edit
- O’Neill’s Irish Pub, 1 Smagulov St, . 12:00pm - 1:00am. Good variety of beer on tap as well as UK style pub food. . edit
- Prime Pub, 69 Azattyk Ave, ☎ +7 7773 78 88 88, . 6:00pm - 1:00am. This pub offers a nice selection of pretty typical pub-fare on it's menu. They brew their own beer and have a good selection of drinks to choose from, including three different types of absinthe. edit
Atyrau has numerous options for travellers who are in search of a good night's sleep. What would be mid-range options in other parts of Kazakhstan sell at top range rates in Atyrau. At the moment, there are not many budget hotel options available in Atyrau.
- Hotel Atyrau, 6 Satpaev St, ☎ +7 7122 92 11 00, . This hotel is aimed at business travellers. All rooms advertise high speed internet. Standard rooms have showers whereas deluxe rooms have baths. The hotel has a health club and its own restaurant. edit
- Renaissance Hotel, 15B Satpaev St, ☎ +7 7122 90 96 00, . The Renaissance is a high-end hotel that offers a full service spa, health club, and indoor pool. The Renaissance is also home to the Champions Sports Bar which has live entertainment, numerous screens for watching sports and a full menu. They also have the Chai Lounge and Bar, a lobby bar offering cocktails and snacks. edit
- River Palace, 55 Aiteke Bi St, ☎ +7 7122 97 02 00, . This hotel has 178 apartments and 52 hotel rooms. It overlooks the Ural and has a small lobby bar and an Italian restaurant. It has health and fitness facilities, including a rooftop pool. edit
- Hotel Kair, 19A Atambaev St, ☎ +7 7122 25 07 65. One of the more affordable options in Atyrau however this hotel offers no food or bar. Located south of the river. edit
- Atyrau Sanatorium, 1 Alipov St, ☎ +7 7122 35 46 79,. This was originally a rest house and was used as a hospital during the second world war. The first two floors are used for medical treatments using mud from nearby Karabatan and mineral water that comes from a 360 m deep well on the sanitarium grounds. The top two floors serve as a hotel. Rooms include ensuite shower, AC and balconies. edit
- Komnaty Otdykha, Atyrau Train Station, ☎ +7 7122 95 56 05. Regarded as the cheapest night's sleep to be found in Atyrau. This place is really basic. There are few shared facilities beyond bed spaces and a shared toilet. There is a KZT 500 fine for smoking and a KZT 1000 fine for drinking. It can be accessed from the hall on the top floor of the railway station. edit
When taking an unmarked taxi be certain to agree on the fare and show the amount you are willing to pay to the driver. There have been incidents with taxi drivers intimidating foreigners and demanding extra money at the end of a ride. There have also been occasional attacks on foreigners in and around clubs and bars at night. As such exercise caution in the clubs and when leaving it is best to book a taxi. Walking alone or hailing taxis at night can be dangerous in some parts of Atyrau.
Atyrau can be very muddy during autumn and spring when the weather is wet. Be sure to wear appropriate footwear if visiting Atyrau during these seasons.
A lot of bars, restaurants and cafes have free wifi. It would be best to check with the staff at whatever establishment you're visiting.
You can leave Atyrau by air, rail and road. The bus station and train station are located next to each other. It would be best to visit the stations in person and have a look at your travel options.