|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
Metaxourgeio is in Athens.
Metaxourgeio or Metaxourgio or Metaxourghio (Μεταξουργείο in Greek) is a neighborhood of Athens. The neighborhood is located north of the historical center of Athens, between Kolonos to the east and Kerameikos to the west, and north of Gazi. Metaxourgeio is frequently described as a transition neighborhood. After a long period of abandonment in the late 20th century, the area is acquiring a reputation as an artistic and fashionable neighborhood due to the opening of many art galleries, museums, and trendy restaurants and cafes. Moreover, local efforts to beautify and invigorate the neighborhood have reinforced a budding sense of community and artistic expression. Anonymous art pieces containing quotes and sayings in both English and Ancient Greek have begun springing up throughout the neighborhood, containing statements such as "Art for art's sake" (Τεχνη τεχνης χαριν). Guerrilla gardening has also helped to beautify this area, taking advantage of the ample sunshine in Greece. The heart of the neighborhood is Avdi Square, which draws residents and visitors with its open space, greenery, periodic festivals and gatherings, and adjacent restaurants, theatres and art gallery.
Metaxourgeio is easy to get to via the metro from the airport using metro line 3,then change trains at Syntagma (15 stops),to metro line 2 heading towards Anthoupoli, Metaxourgeio is the third stop.
- Municipal Gallery of Athens (Myllerou 32 & Leonidou, Avdi Square) - Open in this location since October 2010, this 1500 m² gallery is housed in a renovated 19th-century building by Hans Christian Hansen.
- Rebecca Camhi Gallery (Leonidou 9) - Open since 1995, this gallery housed in a neoclassical building features contemporary art in all media.
- Breeder (Iasonos 45) - Features contemporary art.
- Kunsthalle Athena (Kerameikou 28) - An open courtyard space featuring theatre and music performances.
- Metaxourgeio (Akadimou 16) - A multi-venue performance space featuring a theatre, music bar and restaurant.
- Apo Mihanis Theatro (Akadimou 13)
- Theatro Attis (Leonidou 7) - Contemporary theatre.
- Synergeio (Leonidou 15) - Contemporary theatre.
- Rabbithole Theatre (Germanikou 20)
- Endorfini(Virginias Benaki 7) - Endorfini is a theatre and bar which features live musical performances and experimental stage plays in a state-of the art environment.
- The Open-air market - Held every Monday on Kerameikos St this large market offers a vital source of fresh produce for the neighborhood.
- Chinatown - Numerous Asian grocery stores and clothing outlets can be found in Metaxourgeio between Kolonou and Kolokynthous Sts.
- Tamarind Reastaurant(Kerameikou 51) - The only Thai reastaurant in Athens with an authentic Thai Chef,a contemporary modern interior and is located on Avdi Square.
- Taverneio To Metaxourgeio (Leonidou 46) (aka - Tavern Metaxourgeio)- Serving up traditional Greek dishes and wines since 1933. Located in a picturesque old building.
- Nixon (Agisilaou 61b) - An unlikely restaurant/bar/cinema with tons of Richard Nixon paraphernalia on the walls.
- Aleria (Megalou Alexandrou 57) - Classy restaurant situated in a highly renovated neoclassical building.
- Λα Μπυράζ (Leonidou 31) - A lively bar/cafe which hosts swing dance events every Thursday night.It is located in east corner of Avdi Square.
- Polly Maggoo (Leonidou 80) - A French inspired restaurant and bar featuring a postmodern design.
- Koutalakia (Thermopylon 39) - A traditional Greek tavern.
- Anna's (Akadimou 16) - Cafe/restaurant attached to the theatre Metaxourgeio. Named for actress Anna Vagena, the theatre's owner and main star.
- Breeder Feeder (Perdika 6) - Restaurant attached to The Breeder art gallery, open several days a week.
- Myrovolos (Giatrakou 12) - Cafe/restaurant/bar with a large outdoor seating area on Avdi Square.
- Safka (Megalou Alexandrou 80-82) - The only Scandinavian restaurant/wine bar in Athens, which serves Breakfast and Brunch.
- Funky Gourmet (13 Paramithias Street and Salaminos) -
- Trifasiko (24 Sfaktirias) - is an alternative cafe-bar that operates since 2007 and offers delicious small dishes, good quality of raki and tones of entertainment. Situated in the region of Metaxourgeio, Trifasiko has an artistic decoration and organizes a lot of cultural events. Even when the place is packed, you will certainly have a good time in Trifasiko, because of the friendly service, the food and the music choices, that range from greek traditional to rock'n'roll sounds.
- Ta Kanaria (88 Kerameikou) -
- Egyptian (102 Megalou Alexandrou) -
- Mikinon Gonia ( Megalou Alexandrou 97 & Mikinon) -
- Saladin (111 Megalou Alexandrou) -
- Megas Alexandros (Megalou Alexandrou 3-7)
- Χαουζ (Thermopylon 41) - A contemporary modern bar with a secluded couryard area which features live DJs
- Anthropos (Iatrakou 19) - DJs and electronic music.
- Bios (Peiraios 84) - Trendy bar featuring guest DJs and experimental gigs.
- lost n' found (Kerameikou 53) - Former "Bario" on Avdi Square.
- Belafonte (Agisilaou 61a) - A former manufacturing unit turned classy bar and disco, the building keeps a bit of the industrial feel adding suitable art-deco overtones. Located right next to Nixon.
- Lialina Cafe (Leonidou 5) - A hookah bar and cafe equally popular with immigrants and native Athenians.
- Metaxi (Megalou Alexandrou 46 - 48) -
- Zero (120 Megalou Alexandrou) -
- Kerameion (27 Plataion) -
- Dyari(Megalou Alexandrou 124) -
- Plyntirio (Kolokinthous & Leonnatou 5-7) -
- Triporto (Paramythias 48 & Artemisiou)
- Astari (Marathonos 28)
- Hotel Stanley (1 Odysseos Street Karaiskaki Sq) -
- Candia Hotel (40 Diligianni St) -
- Rio Hotel (13 Odysseos St, Karaiskaki Sq) -
- Crystal City Hotel (4 Achilleos ) -
- Athens Odeon Hotel (42 Pireos St) -