Asan (아산) is a city in South Chungcheong Province in South Korea.It borders the Seoul Metropolitan Area to the north. Asan has a population of approximately 250,000.
The historical Oeam Village near Onyang
To get into Asan you can get a train (via Line 1 from Seoul) to Onyangoncheon station. This will land you in the middle of the city centre. If you're looking for hot springs then there is a very large hotel spa within a 5 minute walk from the station.
You can take the bus to the city too. Regular buses run from neighboring city, Cheonan and also from Seoul. The bus terminal is slightly out of the city centre. A taxi downtown (Shi-nae) will cost you 2000won. You could also get a city bus (420, 410) which will take you to the train station.
Asan (also known as Onyang) can be easily reached from Cheonan (30minutes by bus or 15 minutes by train) and Seoul (two hour and a half hours by slow train or two hours by bus). There is an convenient express train bound for Cheonan and starting from Cheongnyangri at the end of Line 1, almost as fast as the Nuriro.
The closest KTX (bullet train) station is Cheonan-Asan. This station is about a 20 minute drive from the city centre. Regular trains connect the station to Onyangoncheon throughout the day. Alternatively, a taxi will cost you about 7000won to get you into the city centre. The KTX from Cheonan-Asan is the fastest option to/from Seoul, it takes about 30 minutes for about 15,000won and comes very often. There is also a KTX train to/from Incheon International Airport and it takes about two hours.
Sinchang Station is the last stop on Line 1, if you're heading to Soonchunhyang University, it is also connected directly and efficiently to/from Seoul by the express train- Nuriro (a few times a day) and costing about 8,000won for an hour and a half journey. It has certain stops to Onyangoncheon, Asan, Cheonan, Suwon, Anyang, Yongsan, etc.
Nuriro bound for Seoul from Sinchang Station
Taxis (Taek-shi) are available outside most major subway stations and department store outlets. Start of the journey cab fare is usually 2,800won in the first kilometer and can be divided among the passengers. The additional fare is 100won for every 140-150 meters or every 30-40 seconds. A decent grasp of Korean is necessary for catching the taxi, if not, you can always write your destination in Korean beforehand.
Taxis in Chuncheongnam-do may or may not have a T-Money scanner on board, be prepared with enough thousand wons' to pay for the fare. In Sinchang (Soonchunhyang), all taxi transactions are paid in cash.
Sinchang Taxi: +041-541-8444 or +041-541-8443
Local areas of interest:
- To/from Sinchang Station- Soonchunhyang University (is either a 20-30 minute walk or a five minute taxi ride)
- To/from Shinjeong Lake (Onyang)- Soonchunhyang University (is a 20 minute taxi ride)
- To/from Shinsegae Department Store/Cheonan Inter-city Bus Terminal- Cheonan Station (is a 25 minute walk or a five minute taxi ride)
- To/from Onyang Folk Museum- Onyangoncheon Station (is a 10 minute taxi ride).
There is also a harder-to-navigate local bus station in contrast to Seoul with signs being available in both English and Korean, the bus system in the countryside is quite difficult and does not cater to the rare foreign tourist. You'll need a good grasp of Korean and an ability to read Hangul, bus stops are quick to arrive and leave at a destination.
There are mainly four types of buses to look for:
- Blue (sometimes Green buses) with a four-digit number travel on main roads for long distances and cost about 1,050won.
- Green Village buses with a two-digit number travel for shorter distances and carry travelers to transfer points (such as subway stations and longer bus routes) and cost about 750won.
- Yellow buses operate on a closed circuit within a city district and cost about 850won.
- Red buses are express buses that travel from a city to far-flung suburban areas and cost about 1,850won.
Daum and Naver Maps have the schedule, routes of buses in the area, but the interface is all in Korean.
Some buses in the Chuncheongnam-do province may or may not have a T-Money card scanner on board, be prepared to carry small change for traveling by bus.
Most towns/cities in the Chuncheongnam-do province is very small by western standards and quite walkable, no more than half an hour to most places in contrast to Seoul.
- Shinjeong Lake (신정호) is located roughly twenty minutes away between the town of Onyangoncheon and Sinchang. Shinjeong Lake is quite the romantic countryside setting in any season especially the spring. You can enjoy boat rides or bicycling around the area, or just take a stroll around the lake's pristine rose and tulip gardens. Take a taxi from either Onyangoncheon Station or Sinchang Station to reach Shinjeong Lake (20 minutes ride) ₩4500.
Shinjeong Lake in Asan, a scenic spot between Sinchang and Onyang
- Hyeonchungsa Shrine (현충사), 100 Baekam-ri, Yeomchi-eup, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충남 아산시 염치읍 현충사길 130) is a shrine in honor of the legendary Admiral Yi Sun-Shin. Built in 1706, the shrine contains Sipkyeongdo, a pictorial biography of the Admiral his life story. The Nanjung Diary, National Treasure No. 76; his Long Sword, National Treasure No. 326; along with other treasures, together with the old house he lived in, Chungmujeong; the arrow shooting range, and Geobuksun or the turtle ship. Yeonji Pond, in Hyeonchungsa is also worth a visit. ₩500, 09:00 ~ 18:00 (Mar-Oct) / 09:00 ~ 17:00 (Nov-Feb). From Onyang Bus Terminal, take bus No. 900, 910, 920 or bus bound for Hyeonchungsa Shrine (runs frequently / 10-15 minute ride). 1
- Soonchunhyang University (순천향대학교), 646 Eupnae-ri, Sinchang-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충남 아산시 신창면 읍내리 646) is one of the largest universities in the Asan area, in which most English teachers work and where a sizable community of foreign students reside at the Global Village, the only university in South Korea to have one due to the large amount of study abroad programs. ‘Soonchunhyang’ (순천향) means ‘the peaceful hometown complying with the will of heaven’ as so named by the university's founder, Dr. Succ-Jo Suh. A reputable school for the medical sciences, the school is built in the town of Shinchang, surrounded by a lake, fields, and forests as well as many accessible hiking trails to be found nearby. Take a taxi from Sinchang Station to reach Soonchunhyang University (5 minutes ride) ₩3500, catch the SCH Shuttle Bus from Sinchang Station, or walk for 25 minutes straight down Soonchunhyang-ro. 2
- Onyangoncheon Traditional Market (온양전통시장) The constant stream of both locals and travelers visiting the hot springs gave birth to Onyangoncheon Market. There are about 500 stores and 300 stalls selling local produce, fish, livestock products, clothes, and various household items. From Onyangoncheon Station, walk out onto the main street, and wander eastward for a couple of blocks. After this, cross the street and head south until you run into throngs of people.
- Oeam Folk Village (외암민속마을), Oeam-ri, Songak-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충남 아산시 송악면 외암민속길 5) is occupied by the families of its founder, Ye-an Lee who settled here 500 years ago. There are about 86 Giwa houses and traditional straw houses. You can see all kinds of trees in the front yard of the houses, such as persimmons, apricots, chestnuts, and gingkos. At the front entrance you can see the totem pole guardian, and daily artifacts of Joseon (1392-1910) such as millstones, water mills, and thatched roofs. The stone fence roads and Yusil wine add to the traditional atmosphere of the place. The entire village of the Oeam-ri Folk Village is called a living museum, because the old ways are so well preserved. It takes about an hour and a half to go through the entire village. ₩2000, 09:00~17:30 (Everyday). From Asan Bus Terminal or Onyang Oncheon Station, take Bus 120 bound for Gangdanggol (강당골) and get off at Oeam Folk Village. Bus schedule: 08:10-19:30, runs 8 times a day / Travel time: 40min.3
- Onyang Folk Museum (온양민속박물관), 117 Chungmu-ro, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 아산시 충무로 117 (권곡동)) preserves and displays traditional Korean folk culture. The museum is divided into indoor and outdoor halls. Traditional houses and traditional household goods are displayed in the outdoor hall. In the indoor hall, visitors can see and learn about the lifestyle and culture from Korea’s past in the 1st Exhibition Hall, economic activities such as farming and fishing in the 2nd Exhibition Hall, and traditional craft and play in the 3rd Exhibition Hall. You can also experience a traditional Korean wedding at the Living Culture Hall. ₩5000, 09:30 - 17:30 (Tuesday- Sunday). Take a taxi from Onyangoncheon Station to reach the Onyang Folk Museum (10 minutes ride) ₩3500. 4
- Cheonan-Asan CGV Pentaport (천안-아산 CGV 펜타포트) is the to-go place for shopping in Asan, after Cheonan and its Shinsegae Fashion Street. You will find the atypical mall environment, filled with Western brands and food chains, as well as a CGV Movie Theater on the top floor, a food court and E-Mart in the basement levels, and all in close walking proximity to the Asan and Cheonan-Asan (KTX Station). Walk ten minutes straight from Asan Station towards the twin skyscrapers and under the biaduct, you will see a large building with the iconic red CGV sign in front, and you've arrived at the Cheonan-Asan CGV Pentaport.
- Gongseri Catholic Church (공세리성당), 10 Gongseriseongdang-gil, Inju-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 아산시 인주면 공세리성당길 10) is the main Catholic parish built in 1894 on a hill in Inju-myeon that connects Asanman Bay to Sapgyocheon. Early missionaries landed here to begin their work. This was the first church in Chungcheongnam-do. The grounds have three graveyards of prosecuted martyrs, a parish and rectory, retreat house, meeting room as well as beautiful view of a garden including an old Zelkova tree. Free. 10:00-16:00 (Tuesday- Sunday). From Onyangoncheon Station, take a bus bound for Sapgyo or Daeum (삽교, 대음). Get off at Gongseri Catholic Church. Bus Schedule: 30min intervals/ travel time: 30min.5
- Independence Hall of Korea (독립기념관), 230-1 Namhwa-ri, Mokcheon-eup, Dongnam-gu, Cheonan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 천안시 동남구 목천읍 삼방로 95 (목천읍)) displays Korean historical documents and relics from the past, focusing on the independence movement during the Japanese Colonial Period. Originally the Government Building of Korea in China, the building was brought over to Korea after the nation was liberated from Japanese rule in 1945. The Independence Hall officially opened on August 15, 1987 and now boasts seven exhibition halls, the Circle Vision Theater, and other facilities commemorating Korea’s struggle for freedom. Free. March-October: 09:30-18:00; November-February: 09:30-17:00; closed Mondays. From Cheonan Intercity Bus Terminal, take an intercity bus bound for Jincheon (진천). Get off at The Independence Hall of Korea (독립기념관, Dongnip Ginyeomgwan) or take local Buses bound for The Independence Hall of Korea: 381, 382, 383, 390, 391, 400, 402 6
- Asan Botanical Garden (세계꽃식물원), 37 Asanman-ro, Dogo-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 아산시 도고면 아산만로 37) is set on approximately 5,000 pyeong of land, the Asan Garden Horticulture Association opened to the public on March 20, 2004. A newly remodeled greenhouse featuring roughly a thousand species of flowers. Floriculture has flourished here with a variety of themes set up throughout the park for visitors to fully enjoy the experience. ₩8000 (Jan-May / Sep-Dec), ₩6000 Summer Season (Jun-Aug). 09:00-17:00 (Everyday). From Asan Intercity Bus Terminal, take Bus 401 to Dogo Flower Garden (도고꽃식물원) bus stop. Turn left towards Asan Botanical Garden (세계꽃식물원) and then go 200 m to arrive at the garden. 8
- Asan Rail Bike (아산레일바이크) 142-1 Sineon-ri, Dogo-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (041-547-7882): Pedal down your way through some old train tracks- spring, summer, fall, and winter; and take in the beauty of the Asan countryside. Expect to spend about 10-15,000won per person and rides are usually anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour. 1
- Yi Sun Shin Festival (아산 성웅 이순신축제) 69-10, Oncheon-dong, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do (041-534-2633): The city of Asan celebrates the famed war heroes of Korea, Admiral Yi Sun-Sin on his birthday in April, every year. A most spectacular, colorful parade of Joseon sailors and the turtle ships (Geobukseon) appear and the whole city is alight with life and entertainment as people from all over the country come to pay homage. 2
A statue of Korean hero, Admiral Yi Sun-Shin near Shinjeong Lake
- World Dance Festival (천안 흥타령춤축제) 5 Seongjeong 8-gil, Seobuk-gu, Cheonan-si, Chungcheongnam-do: The nearby city of Cheonan celebrates traditional dances, songs, and costumes from all over Korea and the world. There is also international singing and dancing competitions as well as a street parade to look forward to, every year in the fall. 
- Asan Kim Chi Making and Sharing Festival (아산 김장문화제) Yi Sun Shin Stadium, Asan-si (이순신종합운동장-아산시): Once a year during Chuseok (the Harvest Festival) sometime in the fall, university students in the Asan area get to experience first-hand how to make and prepare Kim Chi using fresh ingredients donated from nearby farms. As volunteer workers, the Kim Chi they manage to make and package will all go to the poor and needy throughout Korea.
- The Hot Springs (온천): The area is known for the oldest and most famous hot springs in all of Korea- especially the three major ones: Onyang, Asan, and Dogo. Definitely take a dip and enjoy the therapeutic and medicinal warmth of a traditional hot spring experience during the winter. Asan Spavis comes highly recommended and a day in the hot spring fetches at around 9,000won per person.
- SCH Phoenixia Festival (SCH 피닉스축제): A time for students to unwind before their finals and locals to come and enjoy the performances of famous Kpop artists (like Dynamic Duo, Orange Caramel, 2NE1, PSY, and EXO in the past) at Soonchunhyang University. Excessive drinking, partying, and group camaraderie is expected; so grab a mat, sit on the lawn, and join the crowd.
- Hike in Asan (하이킹을 가다): Go and take a hike! Seriously. Asan is just covered in mountains, mountains are everywhere and so are hiking trails. Some of the most notable ones are in Sinchang-myeon behind Soonchunhyang University is Maebong-san (매봉산); south of Onyangoncheon Station in Magok-ri is Gwangdeok-san (광덕산); and north of Sinchang and Onyangoncheon in Yeongin-myeon is Yeongin-san National Forest Reserve (영인산자연휴양림) where you could also camp and sled during the wintertime.
Maebongsan, a mountain for hiking next to Soonchunhyang University, Sinchang
- Sinchang Bowling Alley (신창 볼링장): Apart from the now-closed fishing grounds in the murky pond next to Soonchunhyang University, students can walk into town, fifteen minutes from campus and play a few rounds of bowling with a few friends to relieve some stress, order some fried chicken delivery, or play 50won old-school arcade games like Mortal Kombat. For a good 5-6,000won, don't forget to mention student discount with your School ID.
- Lake-side Activities: At both tourist parks, Shinjeong-ho Lake (신정호관광지) and Sapgyo-ho Lake (삽교호 관광지), take a relaxing boat ride around the lake for pleasure with a loved one or with a motor in flaunting style from 5,000won and upwards. If boats aren't your style, there's also water-skiing for the more extreme adventurers- 10,000won and upwards. Both locations have lovely gardens and make for some great photographic scenery, take a laid back approach and for cheap by renting out a bicycle and bike along the shoreline for 2-5,000won. But of course, there's always fishing!
- Traditional Activities: At Oeam Folk Village, there's a bunch of things to do, from making tteok (rice cakes) to tofu. Or try your hand at gukgung (archery). Feeling more arts and crafts- they have demonstrations daily in paper lanterns, fans, and masks as well. At Onyang Folk Museum, you can experience a traditional marriage in the Joseon Dynasty or learn how to play some ancient instruments like a janggu (double-headed hourglass-shaped drum) or a buk (double-headed shallow barrel drum).
- An Afternoon of Screen Golf: In Daebang, Onyangoncheon, and Asan as well as most places in Korea, golfing is a popular sport except the greens you'll normally see in America and Europe are not to be found in the city. Instead, you'll find large, iconic green screen enclosures towering overhead to catch any flying balls from hitting the neighborhood. These driving ranges, famous with the older folks, costs around 15,000won for a set menu, a beverage, and a 6-hole round.
- Billiards: In Korea, four-ball billiards (known as sagu (사구)) is a popular sport for college students brought over from the west, just as golf. Roughly 2-4,000won a round. In Sinchang, there are two billiard halls in front of the back gate and one for student's in the basement level of Haeoreum. There are a few billiard halls near the Onyangoncheon Station and in Cheonan as well.
- Noraebang(노래방): Korean for "singing room" and similar to Karaoke. They are found throughout every city in Korea. In Sinchang, there are a few, and a main one in front of the back gate, next to Paris Baguette and Taehak Mart. Go with a group of friends, rent out a private room with a karaoke machine and order in beer (and sneak in some soju), its going to be a long, fun-filled, but embarrassing night. For most noraebangs, expect to pay 15,000won per hour.
Asan is not the usual place to buy specialty items other than hygiene and health products from the various hot springs and spas (in Dogo, Asan, and Onyang).
Since Asan is also well-known as the home of legendary Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, you can probably find memorabilia relating to him (such as turtle ship (geobukseon) figures, books on his exploits, and other Joseon-era related goodies). Most of which can be found at Hyeonchungsa Shrine, Onyang Folk Museum, and Oeam Village.
The most well-worth buys would be from the Onyangoncheon Market. You can buy cheap Chungcheong street food and traditional medicines from the vendors.
In terms of alcohol, Asan has two traditional drinks:
- Yeonyeopju (연엽주) is a folk wine and Intangible Cultural Asset to the Oeam Village in Asan. It was a wine offered to the King made of Nuruk (glutinous rice) and Yeongeun, mixed with fermented evergreen or lotus leaves. A smooth beverage with alcohol levels at 8-15%. It has an interesting balance of sweetness, acidity, and a yeasty aroma.
- Myeoncheon Dugyeonju (면천 두견주) is a medicinal liquor and Intangible Cultural Asset from the nearby town of Myeoncheon. Brewed with Azalea flower petals, water drawn from the Ansaem Spring, and Nuruk (glutinous rice). Its origins were traced back as far as 1,200 years ago (Goryeo Dynasty) by the town's families. It has a deep, profound fragrance, a high alcohol content of 18%; and a subtle tasty flavor, starchy texture to it.
There are a variety of restaurants spread throughout the Asan area. Depending on what you're craving for, you have a wide selection of traditional Korean restaurants alongside many fast-food chains that you could go to. On average, the price for one meal per person can range between 4,000 won to 8,000 won.
There are two main areas for food- the Pentaport and Lotte Mart on the other side of the station.
- Du Maris Buffet (드마리스뷔페)- 210 Gwangjang-ro, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do. Du Maris is a premium buffet Korean-western fusion restaurant. (Monday-Friday Lunch: 24,000won/ Dinner: 31,000won and Saturday- Sunday Lunch: 33,000won/ Dinner: 33,000 won).
- Hwangsogopchang (황소곱창)- 228-1 Jangjae-ri, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do; it's five minutes from Asan Station, Exit 2 and it specializes in "Gopchang" or grilled pork intestines.
- Pungkyeongmaru (풍경마루)- 1767 Jangjae-ri, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do; is a Japanese-styled Shabu Shabu restaurant at Y-Mall across the street from Cheonan-Asan KTX Station.
At the Cheonan-Asan KTX Station:
- Curry Pot (커리포트)
- Dunkin Donuts
- Food Empire (푸드엠파이어) is known for its tea, latte, coffee, pork cutlet bujabap, grilled bulgogi noodle, jjambong, and jajangmyeon gimbap.
At the Cheonan-Asan CGV Pentaport:
The main shopping center and restaurant area nearest to the Cheonan-Asan KTX Station
- Cafe Bene (카페베네)
- Sollievo Coffee
- Steak Rave
- Menmusya (멘무샤) is a fusion Japanese-Korean restaurant specializing in katsu, ramen, and tantan-men.
- Abikko (아비꼬) is a Japanese-styled restaurant with variations of curry rice.
- Outback Steakhouse
- Nolbubossam and Budaejjigae (놀부보쌈 & 부대찌개) is a Korean restaurant perfect for large groups, focusing on budaejjigae,nakji dalkgalbi, jjukkumi samgyeopsal.
- Mad for Garlic
- Ashley Fresh Fresh Salad Bar
- Pulipchae- Korean Buffet (한식뷔페 풀잎채)
The main boardwalk from the station to the apartments, a mile away is where most of the restaurants are.
- Anteoteok (안터덕)- 14 Galsankyo-ro, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do; a Korean traditional style restaurant that features duck meat, perfect for large groups. It is about a 10-20 minute walk from Daebang Station.
- Inaeshiktang (이내식당)- 601-2 Buksu-ri, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do; a premium grilled beef samgyeopsal restaurant, only ten minutes from Daebang Station.
- Jasaneobo (자산어보)- 31 Buksuseo-ro, Baebang-eup, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do; a Korean seafood restaurant that specializes in bibimbap, haemuljjim, and Daegu maeuntang, only ten minutes from Daebang Station.
- Kim Bap Heaven (김밥천국)
- Rich Tree
- Pizza Hut
- Tous Les Jours
- Cafe Bene
- Paris Baguette
- Pizza School (피자스쿨)
The marketplace and adjacent buildings is the main area for restaurants in the city.
- Guldarishikpum'Bold text' (굴다리식품)- 200-11 Onyang 2(i)-dong, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do
- Minmulmaeuntang (민물매운탕)- 169-1 Onyang 2(i)-dong, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do
- Ilshinjoktang (일신족탕)- 382 Shimin-ro, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do
- Cheonggukjangjip (청국장집)- 228-14 Onyang 2(i)-dong, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do
- Baskin Robbins
- Paris Baguette
- Tous Les Jours
- Pizza Hut
At Onyangoncheon Market (85-8 Onyang 1(il)-dong, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do):
- Hongdoshiktang (홍도식당)
- Geungangshiktang (금강식당)
- Arirangshiktang (아리랑식당)
In Sinchang (Soonchunhyang):
The town is mainly restaurants. There are also five cafeterias in SCH- Hanoori, Haemaji, Haeoreum, College of Humanities, and near the Graduate School. There are also convenience stores throughout as well as a bakery in the Dance Building and Student Union. The new building near Haemaji will also have a food court by 2015.
- Kimbap Nara (김밥나라)- The prices are decent, second most frequented restaurant after Twaejigogi Kimchijjigae near the back gate of the school. Self-service banchan- fish cake and omelette. (5,000won~)
- Bap Burger (밥버거)- Rice Burger variety all around, simply rice, seaweed laver, radish, and your choice, also located near the back gate. (3-4,000won~)
- Twaejigogi Kimchijjigae (돼지고기김치찌개)- #1 in Sinchang, and under the watchful eye of everyone's funny aunt (Imo), the service and bountiful banchan is by far the best with a group and for great prices. Her specialties is the jjigae (stew), jeyuk, bulgogi, and the grilled mackerel. (5,000won~)
Kimchijjigae with all the Banchan, served by Imo at around 5,000won/person, 3+ people/table
- Imo Neshiktang (이모네식당)- The usual Korean fare, her soups are the best, and a full course delivery option is also available, right next door to Twaejigogi and Kyunghee Apartments. (5,000won~)
- Milteo Kalguksu (밀터 갈국수)- Next door to Imo Neshiktang, beef bone soup (Kalguksu) is the main dish, good for sick days. (6,000won~)
- Jeyuk Jeonmun (제육 전문)- In the center of the small town, their Jeyukbokkeum has somewhat spicier than Twaejigogi and Keottolibunshik. The setting is more modern and fancier. (7,000won~)
- Mr. Pizza- (미스터피자) Korean-style pizza for delivery or eat-in.
- Keottolibunshik (걷돌이붇식)- T: 041-542-8799- Located right next to Alpha's for your printing and school supplies, this restaurant has the best jeyuk arguably in Sinchang, ask for the egg on top. (5,000won~)
- Jjusam Jumulreok (쭈삼 주물럭)- T: 041-541-9990- Next to Twaejigogi Kimchijjigae, the spicy baby octopus stew (jjukkumi) and tawejibulbaek- grilled beef is worth trying, if eating out as a group. (8,000won~)
- Ssambap (쌈밥)- T 547-3888- An iconic mushroom-like adobe-colored house on the walk from Sinchang Station to the town. It is a traditional Korean barbeque restaurant that features Jeju black pork. (10,000won~)
- Kyekyeonggokjang (계경곡장)- T: 041-541-1444- A newer samgyeopsal restaurant, known for its 3 servings of samgyeopsal for 10,000won deal. Your choice of regular samgyeopsal, kalbi, or wine samgyeopsal. (10,000won~)
- Donday (돈데이)/Dayfresh- T: 041-545-5477- The fanciest samgyeopsal restaurant in the Sinchang area, prices are just as high, but the vegetables provided are quite good- onions, string mushrooms, soybeans, etc. I definitely recommend the Gochujang Samgyeopsal. (8,000won~)
- Don Quixote is a Korean Yukhoe (raw ground beef tartare) and Sannakji (raw, moving baby octopus)-specialty restaurant, expensive as it is, if you want to try the exotic side of Korean cuisine. (20,000won~)
- Lotteria (롯데리아)- a Korean burger joint, similar to McDonalds. The patbingsoo, bulgogi burger, and ice cream are the most popular items.
- Waffle Lui (와플루이)- known for its pizza and pasta.
- Mom's Touch (맘스터치)- T: 041-533-4666- The Korean answer to KFC and Popeye's and its right next to Lotteria. The PSY Burger Combo (싸이 버거 세트) remains the most frequented night delivery ordered burger among students. (5,500won~)
- Dos Mas (도스마스)- T: 041-542-2626- As close as you can get to Mexican food in Sinchang, Dos Mas has large burritos filled to the brim with rice, lettuce, beef or chicken, and to your level of spice from mild to very spicy; and they deliver. (5,000won~)
- Tous Les Jours- French bakery next to Kimbap Nara. (3,000-4,000won~)
- Paris Baguette- French bakery next to the Noraebang and Jeyuk Jeonmun. (3,000-4,000won~)
- Pizza Nara (피자나라치킨공주)-T: 041-549-9227- Pizza Nara is the go-to for delivery in Sinchang because of the fried chicken-cola-Korean pizza combo. (15-20,000won)
- Kampitang (감피탕)- T: 041-541-8990- Kampitang is another night delivery favorite in Sinchang- basically fried chicken, potato wedges, cheese, pepperoni in tomato sauce for a large group. (20,000won~)
A large platter of Kampitang
- Chungkukseong (중국성)- T: 041-541-1170- The foremost Chinese restaurant in Sinchang, located next to Kimbap Nara. The specialty of this restaurant is tangsuyuk, jjajangmyeon, and jjambong. The other Chinese restaurant is behind Taehak Mart on the other side of the road. (6,000won~)
- Dalbong Kamja (달봉감자) is on the second floor of the building in front of the back gate, next to the Billard Hall. French fries and beer, pretty much. (6,000-7,000won~)
- Pomme Frites (폼프리츠) like Dalbong is all about the beer and fries combo. Its much farther down from the campus at the end of the main road heading to the bowling alley, and a smaller than Dalbong. The flavored beers are worth the walk. (6,000won~)
- Chuncheon Myeonghong Dalkkalbi (춘천명홍닭갈비) is on the first floor under Mom's Touch. Known for the northern Chuncheon-styled Dalkkalbi or stir fried spicy chicken, good for a fulfilling, affordable party. The second restaurant in Sinchang for Dalkkalbi is under Dalbong Kamja. (20,000won~)
- Family Takeout is at the very front of the back gate area, you can order cheap toast sandwiches for 1,500won or fruit smoothie/juices for 2,000won. The on-the-go trip food or budget meal.
- Lemontree (레몬트리), one of the more fancier restaurants in Sinchang with a calm atmosphere, good for studying or talking story with a few friends. The tonkkatsu carbonara, cheesecake, and Brazilian-style chicken bibimbap is Lemontree's specialty. (8,000won~)
- Doshirak (도시락), there are two places in Sinchang for small, cheap Doshirak lunchboxes (also known as a Bento)- there's one near Dos Mas and another near Ministop. (3,000won~)
Ministop (미니스톱) is the most common place to drink in all of Korea for foreigners along with just about any convenience stores (7-11, Buy the Way, GS25, Storyway, and CU). As long as there's a bench outside, its open for anyone to drink their heart away and buy even more alcohol (or the occasional drunk craving for various shrimp, potato, and octopus chips, possibly soft-serve ice cream too). Clever marketing scheme! You'll find Ministop anywhere throughout Asan. In Sinchang, its on the main boardwalk (past the Paris Baguette and Noraebang) nearest the back gate.
- Black Box (블랙박스)- T: 041-542-4626- Black Box is another popular bar for group parties (~15) in Sinchang, small in terms of the other drinking places but relatively less crowded. It is located to the left of the back gate as you walk out of Soonchunhyang. On the second floor of the GS25, Tour Les Jours, and Alpha's. You will see a large, black background sign with white text for "Black Box". The closest drinking hole from the university.
- EZ’s (이지스)- T: 041-542-8551- EZ's is the most popular and biggest bar for group parties, catering to ~5 people in the drinking boxes and with a few main feasting tables at the center that can cater to as much as ~30. The owner is very friendly and the service at EZ's is great. The men's bathroom is quite a mess, unfortunately, if you were to use it. The large pitchers of beer and flavored soju from lemon to cherry is the best. EZ's is on the third floor of the building with a Noraebang sign at the front, next to Ministop, right above Lemontree.
- RnB (알엔비)- T: 041-541-0334- is the second most popular and biggest bar in Sinchang for group parties, with almost the same capacity as EZ's- a large feasting table at the center that can cater to as much as ~30. The service is great and the bathroom is shared between sexes, though much cleaner in comparison. Just as EZ's there are large pitchers of beer and flavored soju, as well as party-friendly menu of food like fried chicken and kimchi-jjigae, but altogether a little more pricier. RnB is in the building between EZ's and the Paris Baguette, above the Ministop on the second floor.
- Mom’s Touch (맘스터치)- T: 041-533-4666- is another group-friendly party, quite busy throughout the year and used moreso by the Korean students. Not only a burger joint, it has many private group party rooms that can fit 10-15 people in them and a spacious annex in the back for parties with 20+ people as well as the area outside nearest to the ordering counter. Mom's Touch is very much the usual place for bbantings (suite meet parties) at the beginning of the year, when a girl's dorm suite and a guy's dorm suite have like a suite date of sorts with lots of drinking games and just casual talking.
- Cafe Downtown (Hof)- a less-frequented beer joint by the international students in Sinchang, Cafe Downtown is mainly a bar for the expat teachers from the university and Korean students. It's further down the road from EZ's and RnB before Donday and the samgyeopsal restaurants with the Sinchang Taxi headquarters behind Cafe Downtown.
- Dalbong Kamja- T: 041-544-2024- Not only a place for french fries, but also flavored beer. Dalbong Kamja is a beer bar located on the second floor of the cafe in front of the back gate and across from Family Takeout.
- Pomme Frites (폼프리츠)- Not only a place for french fries, but also flavored beer. Pomme Frites is a beer bar located at the very end of the main boardwalk, way past EZ's and RnB and the samgyeopsal restaurants, on the way to the Sinchang Bowling Alley.
In the Asan area, there are no real cheap housing options to the eyes of a tourist. You will not find any tourist-friendly guesthouses, hostels, love hotels, motels, or the usual options you might find in Seoul and Busan. Asan and nearby Onyang is known for the best hot springs in all of Korea, thus you'll find more and more hotels rather than the small chains.
Your best bet for cheap housing for a night is to find a jjimjilbang (sauna), which is characterized with the iconic red crescent and three steam symbol. Jjimjilbangs' require a proficient ability in Korean especially in the countryside. You will spend an average of 8,000won or more a night at the Jjimjilbang, be prepared and comfortable to get naked with other people to use the communal baths and sleep on the matted floors.
The following listing of hotels are within the Onyangoncheon area of Asan city, nearest the hot spring/resort area. Price range for the following hotels are 40,000won at the most cheapest rates to 140,000won for the most expensive per night. In perspective, Seoul and Busan have very comfortable guesthouses at around 14,000-20,000won a night and jjimjilbangs are around 8,000won a night.
- Uwa Motel- Goodstay, 68 Asanoncheon-ro 243beon-gil, Eumbong-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (Eumbong-myeon), (충청남도 아산시 음봉면 아산온천로243번길 68 (음봉면)), [email protected], , +82-041-544-0567, From the Asan Express Bus Terminal, take express bus no. 512, and get off at Asan Hot Springs. Uwa Motel is next to Spavis, spa & waterpark in Asan, a beautiful city of tradition and culture. It was built with non-flammable natural materials to reflect the motel’s nature-friendly philosophy, and all its guestrooms are supplied with Spavis hot spring water. It has 25 standard rooms, three luxurious rooms, and three double beds. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, laundry service, dryer, and internet. ￦40,000~
- Asan Spatel- Goodstay, 27 Asanoncheon-ro 243beon-gil, Eumbong-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (Eumbong-myeon) (충청남도 아산시 음봉면 아산온천로243번길 27 (음봉면)), [email protected], , +82-041-543-2065, From the Asan Express Bus Terminal, take express bus no. 512, and get off at Asan Hot Springs. Asan Spatel is a spa motel situated near Spavis, spa & waterpark. Nearby there is the Hyeonchungsa Shrine, which is dedicated to the great Admiral Yi Sun-sin, and the home of legendary vassal Maeng Sa-seong. It has 28 standard rooms, and seven double beds. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, laundry service, dryer, and internet. ￦40,000~
- ING Motel- Goodstay, 17 Chungmu-ro 8beon-gil, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do, Korea (충청남도 아산시 충무로8번길 17 (온천동,유성장모텔)), [email protected], , +82-041-542-3313, From the Asan Express Bus Terminal, take express bus no. 512, and get off at Asan Hot Springs. Located in a tourist spot famous for hot spring, ING Motel is a good place to enjoy spa as it is 5 minutes distance away from Onyangoncheon Station. At 58 degree high temperature, Onyang Spa was favorite place of kings of many generations and has good alkaline water quality. As for nearby tourist attractions, there is Hyeonchungsa where the incense is always burning to cherish the virtue of Chungmugong Yi Sun-sin, and Onyang Folk Museum full of ancestors’ legacy and folk data. It has 27 standard rooms. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, laundry service, dryer, and internet.
- Rivera Motel- Goodstay, 123 Asanoncheon-ro 243beon-gil, Eumbong-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do, (충청남도 아산시 음봉면 아산온천로243번길 123), +82-041-543-0568, From the Asan Express Bus Terminal, take express bus no. 512, and get off at Asan Hot Springs. Located in Asan, Chungnam, Rivera Motel is 3 minutes away from Asan Spa which is famous for germanium spa. Rivera Motel is provided with Asan Spa water and so you can take spa in your room and wide VIP Room is enough for a family to take a rest during the tour. 40% discount coupon is provided to the guest if they want to use nearby spa facility. So guests can use nearby spa facility at cheap price. Pickup service is available from Onyang Station, and English and Chinese guide service is available. As for nearby tourist attraction, Yi Sun-sin, Chungmugong Memorial Hall is located 10 minutes away. It has 24 standard rooms, two Hansil (Korean-style) rooms, two VIP rooms, four superior B-type rooms, and three superior A-type rooms. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, dryer, and internet. Extra charge per person: 10,000won for each additional person in a room. ￦40,000~
- Palm Spring Hotel- Goodstay, 7-99 Asanoncheon-ro 157beon-gil, Eumbong-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 아산시 음봉면 아산온천로157번길 7-99), [email protected], +82-041-543-0188, Take the train for Onyang Oncheon at Seoul Station, get off at Onyangoncheon Station and take bus No. 980 or 512. Get off at Asan Spa Tourist Complex and walk for three minutes. Palm Spring Hotel ideally neighbors the largest theme spa in the Orient, the Asan Spavis. The hotel also offers high speed internet access in both wireless and wired setting for family and businessmen coming with their notebooks. All guest rooms are supplied with natural spa water. It has 35 rooms altogether- two Condominium rooms, 11 Deluxe II rooms, three Standard (ondol) rooms, nine Standard (Double) rooms, and 10 Deluxe I rooms. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, and dryer. Cooking is available only in condo-style accommodations.￦40,000~
- Onyang Cheil Hotel, 1462 Oncheon-daero, Asan-si, Chuncheongnam-do, +82-041-547-2500, , Located within a 10-minute stroll from Onyangoncheon Station, The Cheil Hotel Onyang provides guests with an ideal base when in Asan. There are a range of amenities at Palace Hotel Asan that travellers have access to, including a coffee bar and an outdoor pool. The hotel provides rooms equipped with a TV and a hair dryer. A satisfying breakfast is prepared each morning at The Cheil Hotel Onyang, and there are numerous cafés and eateries close by that travelers can try for lunch or dinner. Palace Hotel Asan provides an ideal place to explore Spavis, as well as everything the local area has to offer. ￦69,000~ (Standard- Double, Twin, or Ondol), ￦71,000~ (One Person Standard- Double, Twin, or Ondol), ￦117,000~ (Junior or Ondol Suite), and ￦121,000~ (One Person Junior or Ondol Suite).
- Onyang Grand Hotel, 7 Chungmu-ro 20beon-gil, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do, +82-041-543-9711, , Grand Hotel Onyang provides modern accommodation in Asan and is a short stroll from Onyangoncheon Station. It has a golf course, an indoor pool, a mineral bath and a sauna. All rooms at Onyang Grand Hotel Asan have air conditioning and offer a mini bar, a refrigerator and a flat-screen TV with room service available. A seating area, a telephone and bottled water can be found in each. The bathrooms have a bathtub and provide a hair dryer. A buffet breakfast is served every morning at Grand Hotel Onyang, and there are numerous cafés and eateries nearby that travelers can try for lunch or dinner. ￦96,000~ (Standard Double or Single Room).
- Asan W Tourist Hotel, 14 Chungmu-ro 20beon-gil, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do 336-010 (아산 W 관광호텔,336-010충무로 20번길 14), Offering a restaurant, Asan W Tourist Hotel is located in Asan. WiFi and on-site parking are available free of charge. Each room here will provide you with a TV, air conditioning and a computer. Complete with a refrigerator, the dining area also has an electric kettle. Private bathroom also comes with a bath and a shower. You can enjoy city view from the room. At Asan W Tourist Hotel you will find a communal sauna, free shuttle service and a 24-hour front desk. Other facilities offered at the property include meeting facilities, a shared lounge and dry cleaning. The hotel serves continental breakfast at a fee at the restaurant on the 3rd floor. Breakfast is available from 07:00 until 09:00 from Tuesday until Saturday and from 08:00 until 10:00 on Sundays and bank holidays. There is a buffet-style restaurant in the facility. ￦80,000~ (Standard Double Room).
- Paradise Hotel Dogo, 180-1 Gigok-ri, Dogo-myeon, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do 336-912 (파라다이스 도고 호텔, 336-912도고면 기곡리 180-1), , +82-041-537-7100, [email protected], From Sinchang Station (Subway Line 1, take Bus 401 to Dogo Hot Springs. From Onyangoncheon Station (Subway Line 1), take Bus 401, 410, 430 or 450 to Dogo Hot Springs. Reservation for a shuttle bus is possible in advance with a pick-up site, outside of the Cheonan-Asan Station on the walk towards the Asan Pentaport Mall/Shinsegae Department Store under the biaduct in the bus pick-up area. This Asan hotel is situated a few minutes from Dogo Hot Spring, and offers modern accommodation. Set on a golf course, Paradise Hotel Dogo provides a range of deluxe amenities including a coffee bar and an outdoor pool. Paradise Dogo Hotel Asan has cosy rooms, designed to fit the needs of any guest. Hotel Paradise Dogo is a 5-star hotel located in the large Dogo Leisure Town complex in Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do. Its hot spring is known as one of the four best sulfur hot springs in Asia. It features 112 rooms and a wide variety of facilities in the complex including sulfur thermal water saunas, Korea's first horse-riding grounds, an outdoor swimming pool, a grand ballroom and banquet halls for various occasions. Paradise Hotel Dogo also operates a youth hostel in Leisure Town, providing comfortable accommodation at affordable rates to people from all over the world. 10% tax (Not included in room rates). ￦100,000~
- Onyang Hot Spring Hotel, 1459 Oncheon-daero, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충청남도 아산시 온천대로 1459 (온천동)), , +82-041-540-1000, From Onyang Bus Terminal, take a taxi to Onyang Hot Spring Hotel. Get off at Onyang Hot Spring, and take Bus 90 or 91 to Onyang Hot Spring Hotel. The town of Onyang, where Onyang Hot Spring Hotel is located, is the oldest hot springs area in Korea. The history of Onyang can be traced back to 1,300 years ago when the Joseon Dynasty kings visited the hot springs in the area to relax and unwind. Today, remains of the hot springs sought by the royalty can be found in Onyang. In addition to 116 Western-style and 59 Korean-style rooms, Onyang Hot Spring Hotel is equipped with upscale hot springs and sauna, a museum depicting the history of Onyang and its famous hot springs, as well as a wide range of facilities including a grand ballroom, a banquet hall, a fitness center, a skin care center, a beer garden and restaurants. There are 175 rooms in total, 116 Western-style rooms and 59 Korean-style rooms. Room amenities include a TV, fridge, AC, laundry service, dryer, internet, and cable. 10% tax (Not included in room rates). Hotel guests receive a 50% discount on the sauna & spa and a special discount on the fitness center. ￦140,000~
- Boryeong is well-known for Daecheon Beach, which is connected by the Mugunghwa from Onyangoncheon Station. A popular Membership Training (MT) retreat, about an hour and a half away. (8,000won)
- Cheonan is a well-known lively city for expats and locals alike, notably the clubbing and shopping scene in the Chungcheongnam-do province. It is the biggest place, nearest to Asan and connected by Line 1 about 15 minutes away. A major intercity bus terminal hub which connects to most parts of the Chungcheong Province. (1,500won)
- Daejeon is connected to Cheonan-Asan KTX Station, about half an hour away. Daejeon is a city at the center of the country, the proposed future capital of South Korea, a transportation hub, and the seat of governance. (10,000won)
- Daegu is connected to Cheonan-Asan KTX Station, about an 1 hour, 15 minutes away. Daegu is the fourth largest city, a large expat growing community, and capital of the Gyeongbuk Province. (29,000won)
- Busan is connected to Cheonan-Asan KTX Station, about 2 hours, 30 minutes away. Busan is the second largest city after Seoul, as well as ferries connecting to the pristine "Hawaii of Korea"-Jeju; but also Tsushima, Shimonoseki, Fukuoka, and Osaka in Japan. Busan is a good destination for those seeking a more laid back atmosphere than Seoul. Busan has Korea's largest beach and longest river, and is home to the world's largest department store, the Shinsegae Centum City. (46,000won)
- Suwon is 1 hour, 20 minutes away by Line 1 (from Sinchang), 45 minutes away by Nuriro (from Sinchang), Mugunghwa and Saemaeul (from Asan). At Suwon, you can transfer to the Yongin EverLine for Everland and Caribbean Bay. It is a great weekend trip to explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hwaseong Fortress, eat the famed kalbi (beef ribs), or to see a game at the World Cup Stadium. (2,000/6,000/4,000won, respectively)
- Pyeongtaek is a 40 minute ride away on Line 1 (from Sinchang). Camp Humphreys, a well-known US Army Base is located here, Pyeongtaek has a few sea-related festivals, as well as Pyeongtaek Habor which connects to Weihai, Lianyungang, Rizhao, and Qingdao in China by ferry. (2,000won)
- Jeonju is connected to the Cheonan-Asan KTX Station, about 1 hour, 40 minutes away. A weekend trip known for its famed traditional Hanok village, bibimbap, moju, and oldest Roman Catholic cathedral. (21,000won)
- Seoul is the capital of South Korea. It is connected to Cheonan-Asan by KTX (40 minutes away, 15,000won), Sinchang by Nuriro (1 hour, 30 minutes away, 6,000won), and Sinchang by Line 1 (2 hours, 30 minutes away, 4,000won). A fascinating blend of ancient traditions and cutting-edge digital technology, home to endless street food vendors and vast nightlife districts, an extraordinarily high-pressure educational system and serene Buddhist temples, a trend-setting youth culture and often crushing conformism, extraordinary architecture and endless monotonous rows of grey apartment buildings, Seoul is a city filled with stark contrasts.
- Incheon is the destination of your arrival and departure to and from South Korea, Incheon Airport is connected to Cheonan-Asan by a special Airport train (2 hours away, 25,000won) as well as airport buses to/from Asan (Onyang) and Cheonan Intercity Bus Terminals (2 hours, 25 minutes away at around 20,000won, reservations required).
- Cheongnyangri is the last stop on Line 1 from Sinchang Station, Cheongnyangri is the train transportation hub on the eastern end of Seoul. You can get to Andong, Danyang, Gyeongju, and Haeundae from the Jungang Line as well as Gapyeong for Nami Island and Chuncheon from the Gyeongchun Line/ITX. (4,500won)