Arugam Bay is a city in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka.
Arugam Bay is a bay situated on the Indian Ocean in the dry zone of Sri Lanka's southeast coast. The bay is located 320 km due east of Colombo. It is a popular surfing and tourist destination. Many of the buildings were destroyed in the 2004 tsunami.
Cinnamon Air has seasonal scheduled flights from Colombo to the lagoon.
There is now two direct bus a day from Colombo to Pottuvil.
This bus leaves the Pettah Bus Stand in Colombo at 04.45 AM and arrives in Pottuvil at aproximately 14.30 PM. It is bus number 98 - Pottuvil Route. The price each way is 400 RS - plus 100 RS for each large piece of luggage. (120 RS is around $1 USD)
(The Pettah Bus Stand is the main Bus Stand in Colombo)
- Cost: 600Rs (plus luggage) non a/c bus; 1800Rs a/c bus
- Journey time: Approx 7 (night) to 10 (day )Hours
- Comfort: Quite a stressful journey - but very cheap!
This is certainly the cheapest way to get from Colombo to Arugam Bay
Self-Drive Tuk-Tuk Hire
Arguably, the most authentic way to experience Sri Lanka is by hiring and driving your own Tuk-Tuk. Some travellers report that they have been able to strike a deal directly with local owners for the use of their vehicle. This is not recommended, however, due to licensing and insurance concerns. Since December 2016, Tuk Tuk Rental Sri Lanka has been providing socially responsible, self drive Tuk Tuk hire for tourists and travellers visiting Sri Lanka. Tuk Tuks can be collected from Mount Lavinia, Colombo, or delivered nationwide. As Tuk Tuks are hired directly from local owners, the company provides a good and reliable income for some of the poorest Tuk Tuk drivers in Colombo, who would otherwise be working long hours as a driver to support their family. All Tuk Tuks provided are no more than 5 years old, and rentals include comprehensive insurance, 24 hour support and a number of other extras to make your trip safe and hassle-free. They even provide you with your own Sri Lankan driver's license! Travel like a local and drive your own Tuk Tuk around Sri Lanka!
- Boat trips on Pottuvil lagoon. They're best done near sunrise or sunset, as wildlife is best then. Count for a 2 hour trip in a crammed local fishing canoe to reach the far end of the lagoon, where mangrove habitats and with some luck wild elephants can be seen; for the rest lots of things to experience for bird-lovers. The boats moor near the lagoon bridge, walking distance from the north end of the beach (e.g. Stardust); Hilton Guesthouse in the middle beach area organises trips with road shuttle included.
- Safaris to Yala East (Kumana) park. Wildlife here is for the northern half similar to Yala zone 1 park including leopard and sloth bear. The southern half is more of a wetlands area with a huge river delta. Visitor volume is significantly lower than Yala zone 1. Depart around 5 AM from Arugam for 6 AM park entrance, or be back 7 PM after 6 PM park closure. The towns closer to the park (Panama and Okanda) hardly have jeeps for hire, so most people book the jeep from Arugam - making the trip a bit more expensive than e.g. Yala-1 with jeep hire from Tissa. On the way to/from the park (depending on morning or afternoon trip) also pay a visit to Panama Tank, the large lake close to Panama town; often lots of crocodiles are visible there (from a safe distance of course).
- Also Lahugala park is interesting; a lot smaller than Yala East but also a lot closer to Arugam Bay. Acually it borders the Pottuvil lagoon, the wild elephants visible from there are in this park. The park is mainly known for elephants, and can be discovered by jeep just as the others.
- If one walks to Crocodile Rock (a few km south of the village) near the lagoon around dusk or dawn, sometimes one can see groups of wild elephants coming to the lagoon and sea.
- Dolphin watching. Several places organise boat trips in season (May to September).
Arugam Bay Surf club Code of Conduct
There is just one liquor store in Arugam Bay where you can officially buy alcohol. Its a bit hidden in the back of a building, just opposite the Siam View Beach (Just shortly before the curve on the main street)
As usual in Sri Lanka you recognize it by its bars.
Arugam Bay probably has the most accommadations in density in Sri Lanka. quality varies between Hotel and guesthouses. price can be as low as LKR 300 to LKR 4000. most accommadations are situated along Panama road.
- Moon Eyes Beach Hotel., Main Street, Arugam Bay, Pottuvil (At the north end of the main strip, just before the bridge to Pottuvil), ☎ 0094-757574749 ([email protected]), . Two new bungalows with en-suite bathroom and two thatch cabanas with shared bathroom. All are clean, fan-cooled, with double beds. Free wi-fi and shared kitchen and dining area. Grocery store on the premises. 1 block from the ocean. Family-owned and run, helpful and friendly. Owner, Thaseem, will cook meals by request and organize tours, tuk-tuks, and vehicles for hire. Rs. 1,000-3,000 depending on the season. edit
- East Surf Cabanas, Arugam Bay (opposite the water tower), ☎ 0779829439, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 10am. tucked away from the noise, yet only 8 min walk to the beach and shops. there are 6 eco cabanas, and 2 family rooms with view, an organic restaurant offering local seafood and fresh veggie dishes. Yoga, surf lessons, massage, cooking classes, safaris, and modern postcards are a few of many things that are offered. U$20. edit
- Emma home-stay, Panama rd, Arugam Bay (right in the middle of the bay, next to Ali's restaurant), ☎ +94777644565 ([email protected]). This place is straight on the beach like 8 min from the main surf point, there are simple regular rooms, 2 bungalows on the beach and 2nd floor with 2 rooms, private terrace with ocean view and a kitchen. It is a home-stay with flexible local host, nice guys run this place and you can survive the heat in the chillout with fan and hammock. $10-50 depending on the room and the season. edit
- Hipster's Hideout Arugambay, Hipster's Hideout, Panama road,Arugambay, ☎ +9477 419 5320, . Located on a lush piece of land on the main road, 8 min walk from the main surf break and easy access to the restaurants and hangouts in the little surfer town of Arugam Bay. Hostel with dorm rooms, private rooms, chillout area, hammocks and tents for travelers who are easy going. The hostel offers breakfast, smoothies and snacks and can organize surfing lessons, safaris etc. edit