Aregua is a town 31km outside of the capital city, Asunción in Paraguay. It is easily accessible by many paved roads and public bus lines. It contains many historic and natural attractions that make it a great weekend getaway. In August and September they hold a Strawberry Festival.
- By Bus Take any bus line inAsunción going to "Shopping del Sol" - it will say so on the windscreen. Line 28 and 30 both go there from Cerro Cora. Get off at Shopping del Sol and board any bus saying Aregua on the screen. Buses cost around 2,300 Gs per person. Get off after you see the ceramics stores on either side of the street (can't miss them). You are in the centre (and close to the Tourist office (Casona de SENATUR) on 515 Nstr. Señora de la Candelaria c/ Mcal. Estigarribia). Some buses that pass to neighboring towns such as Ypacarai and Itagua also pass through Aregua. Main bus lines that go through Aregua include No. 111 Aregueña, the No. 11 San Augustine, and the No.56 Cerro Ko'i. You should make sure to ask the bus driver if they go into the the center of town( el centro), instead of the outlying rural areas (las companias).
- By Car Aregua is very accessible from Ruta 2, going east outside of Asunción. When you get to the Colegio Militar Mcal. Francisco Solano Lopez outside of the centre of Capiata you turn left at the stop light on Km.27 marker and proceed to follow that road, called the Ruta Aregua until you reach the town centre.
The town is pretty compact - best to go by foot. Distances are short. One one end (right, uphill from the centre) there's the church on the hill overlooking the town, on the other end is the beach and the lake.
- The church on the hill
- The numerous colonial style houses throughout the town
- Casa Amarilla (see directions under "sleep" section). Part art gallery, part antique store and part hostel. This was once part of Mariscal Lopez's Aregua estate. Eccentric and fascinating. Doesn't look like much from outside - don't be put off.
- Cerro Koi. The rock type on this hill can only be found in 2 other places in the world. Good view of the town. Unfortunately, it is really not safe to go there unless in a large group - some very bad neighbourhoods around that area.
- Unwind on the beach - probably best not to go swimming in the lake, fairly dirty.
- Garden gnome style ceramic figurines (from Snow White and Princess Fiona to Saints and Jesus) and pots for plants in all sizes can be bought on the street to Luque (Nstr. Señora de la Candelaria)
For the size of the town there are quite a few restaurants around. Hamburgesas can be bought in the evening at the main plaza. A few guys sell doughnuts near the petrol station in the centre.
- Gulliver's Mediterranean Kitchen. Where De la Candelaria crosses Av. Mariscal Estigarribia, you will find Gulliver's on the corner (side nearest the lake). Their menu varies day to day, but the food is wonderful. Incredible salad. Prices 26,000 - 90,000. Contact (0291)433243 or (0971)222618.
The usual small bars blaring Latin music can be found around the place.
The Motels on the road to Luque are likely to be hourly hotels. The options listed are on Estigarribia towards the lake which is passing by the train station.
- Hotel Aparecida, Avda. del Lago 852 (Next to the beach), ☎ (+595) 291-32 421. edit
- Hotel O.Z.L.I, (Next to the beach). Has also a restaurant and a pool edit
- Departamento por Dia, Lopez y Estigarribia (On the same corner as the Rapidito service station in the centre). Very basic and very cheap. 30.000 Gs per person. edit
- Casa Amarilla, Left off Estigarribia (Sign on Estigarribia points to the entrance down a dust road. If you come to the old, disused train station, you've gone one block too far (though you can turn left here and walk across the grass to the entrance too). Email [email protected]), ☎ (595)981901430. Extremely laid back. Beautiful old house, huge, cool rooms. Art and antiques on sale, but you are not pressured to buy them - 2 very nice, young brothers run the place. Really eccentric, a great place to take pictures and tell stories about. Chill out area on the roof is great at sunset. 100,000 - 120,000 for double room. edit