Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia.
Ardrossan is a coastal town on the eastern side of Yorke Peninsula and is a popular tourist destination. Ardrossan is located an easy 90 minutes drive from Adelaide.
The town of Ardrossan was proclaimed in 1873 and named by Governor Fergusson after Ardrossan in Ayrshire, Scotland.
- Yorke Peninsula Visitor Information Centre, Minlaton (Harvest Corner Information & Craft), 29 Main Street, Minlaton, SA 5575, ☎ 1800 202 445 ([email protected]), . M-F 9.00am - 5.00pm; Sa & Su 10.00am - 4.00pm. edit
- The Old Grain Shed, Ardrossan, 33 First Street, Ardrossan, SA 5571, ☎ +61 8 8837 4018 ([email protected]). M-F 9.00am - 5.00pm; Sa & Su 9.00am - 5.00pm. edit
Stump Jump Plough
The ingenuity of early settlers is displayed at the Ardrossan Museum with the history of the ‘stump jump plough’. In 1876 the laborious backbreaking work of clearing mallee stumps became a practical proposition with this invention.
- Ardrossan And District Historical Museum, 16 Fifth Street, Ardrossan, ☎ +61 8 8837 3939, . Yorke Peninsula’s close relationship between the land and sea is reflected in the displays at the Ardrossan Museum. The building housing the Museum is the former factory of CH Smith, an agricultural machinery manufacturer and developer of the Stump Jump Plough. Also featured prominently is the history of the ‘Zanoni’, a sailing ship which sank off Ardrossan in 1867, on its way from Port Wakefield to Port Adelaide, with a full load of South Australian wheat bound for England. edit
- Ardrossan Golf Club, Dinham Drive, Ardrossan, ☎ +61 8 8837 3653 ([email protected]), . The Ardrossan Golf Club is an 18 hole course with a par 69 and has an Australian course rating of 64. The length of the course is 4,925 metres and offers golfers the chance to test their skills while taking in the scenery edit
- Blue Swimmer Crabs can be caught along the coastline from Ardrossan to Stansbury, and are a favourite delicacy. Crabs can be caught by net from jetty or boat, or raked in the shallow. A general guide for crabbing is that its best in the months that have an 'r' in them, as the water is warmer.
- The Ardrossan Bakery is a favourite stopover for locals and traveller. Their award winning products, including bread, pies, pasties, sausage rolls, vanilla slices and more are always popular treats.
- Ardrossan Hotel Motel, 36 First Street, Ardrossan, ☎ +61 8 8837 3008 ([email protected]), . Ardrossan Hotel Motel in Ardrossan, a popular coastal holiday destination is located 149 kilometres north of Adelaide at the top of the Yorke Peninsula. Known as the 'The Top Pub', this enchanting single storey family run hotel-motel is located on the main shopping street of Ardrossan. There are 11 newly refurbished separate motel rooms, at the rear of the hotel. edit
- Blue Manna Apartments, 38 First Avenue, Ardrossan, ☎ +61 8 8837 3620 ([email protected]), . Blue Manna Apartments are just one and a half hours drive from Adelaide. Two stylish self-contained elevated apartments with sea views await you. Each apartment has three bedrooms accommodating up to six people. Centrally located within easy walking distance to all town facilities including playground, beach and jetty. edit
Cellular (mobile) telephone network reception may not be available in many areas especially those distant from cellular network repeater towers normally located along the major highways and near larger townships. Hilly terrain will also effect reception. In an emergency seek higher ground. Some networks provide a poor coverage in regional and rural areas. It is generally considered that the best reception is available from either Telstra or Optus when in areas such as Yorke Peninsula.
For emergency services including police, fire services and ambulance call 000 from any telephone and ask the operator to connect you.
Such calls are placed without charge to the calling party.