Ardabil is historical city in Azerbaijan region of Iran.
Except for the Sheikh Safi-ad-din Ardabili complex and maybe the bazaar there are no really interesting sights within the town.
- The complex of Sheikh Safi-ad-din Ardabili is a World Heritage Site, comprising the following components: The mausoleums of Sheikh Safi and Shah Ismail I, Chini khaneh (meaning the house of chinaware), a mosque, Jannat Sara (meaning the house of paradise), Khanaqah (the house of Dervishes), Cheragh Khaneh (the house of lamps), Shahid khaneh (the house of martyrs) and Chelleh Khaneh (the place where devotees shut themselves up during the forty days of Lent). The mausoleum of Sheikh Safi, the dome of which is called "Allah-Allah" has an octagonal interior. Closed on Mondays. Like for many Iranian sights the fee is 6$ / 200.000 IRR for foreigners (May 2016), less than 1$ for Iranians. You must leave your baggage outside. Photography without flash is allowed.
- Masjid Jameh Ruins of once magnificent and unique Mosque.
- Mirza Ali Akbar mosque and school This comlex dates back to Qajar period
- Ardabil Bazaar This beautiful Persian bazaar was built during Safavid period and in addition to main bazaar hall with open vaults has a hammam and a small yet mystifying mosque.
- Ardabil bridges Ardabil host numerous historical bridges namely Pol-e Gilandeh, Pol-e Nayer, Pol-e Haft Cheshmeh, Pol-e Panj Cheshmeh and Pol-e She Cheshmeh and Qarah Soo Bridge, most were built during Safavid era.
- Imamzadeh Saleh mausoleum The mausoleum of Imamzadeh Saleh who is a descendant of a Shia Imam was built 250 years ago.
- Saint Mary church This Armenian orthodox church has a beautiful wooden main door and painted dome built in 1876.
- Mausoleum of Sheikh Jebra'il
- Babadavood anbaran- friday mosque
- Shourabil Lake- A rather boring natural pond (surrounded by concrete promenade ...) almost inside the city. It gets really beautiful especially in sunset. It also freezes in winter.
- Lake Neor. About 50 km southeast of Ardabil, can be reached by car / taxi (about 15-20$ / 600.000 IRR return, May 2016).
- Sare'in town. It is an important tourist center of the province. You can reach Sare'in by taking taxis. You can take a taxi anywhere in the city to go to Sare'in but if you are looking for the cheapest way you have to go to "Istgah-e-Sare'in" (Sare'in Station) where you will find cheap travel to there. Sare'in is famous for its great Spa pools. This trip will not take more than 30 mins.
- Gardan-e-Heyran (on the road to Astara, close to the border with Azerbaijan) is also highly recommended. It is a road which is built in the heart of Heyran jungles. You will also find a telecabin there.
lots of good food
The traditional food there is called " Ashe- Doogh"
Also the kebabs are perfect
- Sarein International Laleh Hotel (Laleh Hotel), . checkin: 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00. Residing in Sarein International Laleh Hotel is the closest thing to such an experience. Located in the mountainous regions of Ardabil province, Hotel Laleh in Sarein is the vacation spot par excellence. Hotel Laleh is a four-star hotel right in the middle of the natural wonders of Ardabil. Alvares Ski Resort, the largest ski resort in Iran is a thirty minutes’ drive from the hotel. Another wonderful resort located right in front of Laleh Hotel is Sabalan Hydrotherapy Complex. edit
- Buses to Tehran via Astara and Rasht (5h, 4$ / 130.000 IRR, June 2016) and further on along the coast leave from main terminal about every 1 or 2 hours from 10am on.