The West of Amsterdam is a vast suburban area, generally off the beaten track for most travellers.
This district can be split in West, a modern neighborhood built in the first half of the twentieth century, and New West, a multicultural area built after World War II and generally off-the-beaten path to tourists. The heart of West is (confusingly enough) the neighborhood of Old West proper, the area closest to the city center, bordered to the south by Overtoom and the Vondelpark and in the west by the Rembrandt Park. Other areas in West are Westerpark, a large park bordering the center with some interesting nightlife; De Baarsjes, a neighborhood built in Amsterdam School and New Objectivity architectural styles; and Bos en Lommer, most similar to New West with some remarkable buildings.
New West has often dominated the headlines for social and ethnic tensions, crime, urban decay. Most infamous is Slotervaart, bordering West to the east; other districts are Geuzenveld/Slotermeer and Osdorp. A special district is the vast area of Westpoort, a harbor occupying a large area to the north of Amsterdam West, but not of much interest to most visitors.
Scattered over the district are five windmills. Only one is open to the public (but all look good on pictures).
- De 1100 roe, Herman Bonpad 6. This mill was built around 1674 at the Haarlemmerweg, near the 1200 roe. It was taken apart in 1962 and rebuilt at the current location in 1965. This mill is meant to pump water from the polder to the surrounding canal. edit
- De 1200 roe, Haarlemmerweg 701. Built in 1632 to pump water out of the polder. edit
- De Bloem, Haarlemmerweg 465. Here since 1878, but it's been moved to a different location at least three times. It's a corn mill. edit
- De Otter, Gillis van Ledenberchstraat 78. A restored and functioning sawmill, built in 1631, opposite Buyskade, west of the Jordaan. edit
- Molen van Sloten, Akersluis 10. Open 10:00-17:00. Newly built in 1990 with some old elements. The only mill in Amsterdam open for public visits. edit
- Rembrandtpark. Not too far west of the Vondelpark, but much quieter and larger in size. edit
- Westerpark, . Newly expanded park, at the western edge of the centre, with cultural activities in a former gas factory. Access from Haarlemmerweg. edit
- Strand West, Unfortunatlly this was removed to put in new apartments. You can catch a ferry near by to take you to Nort Amsterdam where there is a beach.
The Ten Kate markt is a day market on the Ten Kate straat, open Monday - Saturday, 9:00-18:00. It's crossed by shopping street Kinkerstraat.
- Orontes west, Hugo de Grootplein 8. Great Mediterranean food. edit
- BUUF, Overtoom 495, . 11:30-22:00. Really nice retro restaurant with full meals for 9,80! Each days you can choose from 2 meat, 2 fish and 2 vegetarian meals. 9,80. edit
- Queen of Sheba, Eerste Nassaustraat 32, ☎ 020 221 8765. 17:00 - 23:00. Ethiopian restaurant with friendly owners, a nice atmosphere and simply amazing food. Suitable for carnivores, fish-lovers and vegetarians. Big portions and very budget-friendly, around €13 per person. Just be patient, it takes a while for the food to arrive but it's worth the wait. edit
- Radion, Louwesweg 1 (Tram 2 [Louwesweg]), . Bar, restaurant and techno club. edit
- De School, Doctor Jan van Breemenstraat 1 (Tram 13 [Admiraal Helfrichstraat]), . Underground techno club. edit
- Pacific Parc, Polonceaukade 23 (Tram 10 [Westergasfabriek]), . Bar, restaurant and club. edit
- Club 8, Admiraal de Ruijterweg 56b. A large alternative place with lots of art on its walls. There's ping pong, a very local and fairly young crowd. edit
- Flex Bar, Pazzanistraat 1 (Tram: Van Limburg Stirumstraat, in the Westerpark), ☎ +31 20 486 21 23, . often until 05:00. Flex Bar is known for its innovative musical program and their openminded approach towards music as well as their public. Expect electro, techno, house, dubstep, hiphop, indie, funk and soul. edit
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest, Hendrikje Stoffelstraat 60, ☎ +31 20 669 1621 ([email protected]), . checkin: 03:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest is a 3-star hotel with 90 Comfort rooms. The hotel in Slotervaart is easily accessible by car and is only a 5-minute drive from the A10 highway. Staying at Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest can be easily combined with a visit to the World Fashion Centre, the RAI and the World Trade Center. edit
- WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, Spaarndammerdijk 302, ☎ +31 20 4109670 ([email protected]), . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 12:00. 80-150. edit
- Stayokay Vondelpark, Zandpad 5 (Tram Stadhouderskade), ☎ +31 20 589 8996 ([email protected], fax: +31 20 589 8955), . checkin: early check-in begins at 7:30AM, rooms available at 2PM; checkout: 10:30AM. Fairly large youth hostel, very clean and professional, operated by the Dutch affiliate of Hostelling International. Credit cards are accepted. Next to the pleasant Vondelpark, puts you on the southern side of downtown and just a few blocks from the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum. Also a short stumble away from the partying Leidseplein. The breakfast is filling and has a social atmosphere. This location is popular with school groups. Bring a padlock for your locker, or purchase one at the desk. Also available are bath towels and shower shoes. Wifi and internet kiosks are available. Museum tickets available at the desk.....avoid the long lines to purchase tickets at the museum. Free city maps available at the desk.All in all a safe, clean place to stay. Dorms €17+, privates €50+. edit
Many bars and coffee places offer free wifi.