Amboise is a town in the Indre-et-Loire department of central France, 20 km east of Tours.
- The TGV from Paris takes less than 90 minutes. You will probably require a change at Orleans, Tours or St Pierre-des-Corps.
Amboise is very small and all of the major sites can be reached on foot. The town centre is a 15-20 minute walk from the train station and accommodation and eateries tend to be concentrated around this region. If you don't wish to walk around town, a tourist train can be found at the main tourist office in Amboise.
- Château d'Amboise. Former royal castle. It is small but a great deal of information about it is provided in the free brochure given to you at the start. Great views over Amboise and the Loire.
- Clos Lucé. Manor house formerly inhabited by Leonardo da Vinci.
- Domaine Royal de Chateau Gaillard. Castle where the first orange trees were acclimatized in France.
- Pagode de Chanteloup. A 44m Chinese pagoda built in 1775 by the Duke of Choiseul.
- Cycling around the Loire. Consider renting a bike. You can ride along the Loire or to the nearby chateaux of Chenonceaux or Chaumont. edit
- Hot-air balloon or Helicopter. You can flight above the Loire Chateaux. edit
- Playing golf. In the North of Amboise, the Fleuray Golf offer a nine hole course. edit
- Photograph France (Photography tours), Rue Bretonneau, Amboise 37400, ☎ +33(0)247790399, . 09.30-21.30. Photograph France offer year round photography tours and masterclass workshops. From half day walking tours and day visits at local chateaux to bespoke week long experiences. From 80€. edit
- L'Echanson, 5 Rue d'Orange, 37400 Amboise, France. A small variety of high-quality dishes that use local produce. Fixed-prix menus available - 21€/25€ (this may vary depending on food available). Food can also ordered a la carte. Excellent selection of wines that can be bought by glass for tastings edit
- L'Alliance, 14 Rue Joyeuse, 37400 Amboise, France, ☎ +33 2 47 30 52 13. Delicious food at fairly reasonable prices (average prix-fixe menu is 27€) that makes full use of seasonal local produce. edit
- La Fourchette, 9 Rue Malebranche, 37400 Amboise,, ☎ 0611781698. Simple but delicious home-style French food. Very reasonably priced at lunch. Menu is limited and changes daily. Open Tuesday-Saturday for lunch and Friday-Saturday for dinner. edit
- Manoir de la Maison Blanche, 18 rue de l'Epinetterie Amboise, ☎ 33 0247231614, . Charming b&b on the outskirts of Amboise. Set in a park-like setting with horses in the fields. Wonderful breakfast (French-style) served by a charming host who speaks impeccable English. edit
- Le Pavillon des Lys, 9, rue d'orange, ☎ +33 247300101, . checkin: 15h; checkout: 11h. Come and visit our hotel in a beautiful environment, within the finest Loire Valley castles. Luxury, comfort blends with aesthetics, and our terrace overlooking the park. Contact us to learn more about our establishment, the rooms, the services we do offer, the location. 98-240. edit
- Chambres Le Buisson Amboise, 7 rue madeleine Vernet (Montlouis sur loire), ☎ 0033247509818, . Charming character property between Amboise and Tours,nestled in a 3 acres of wooded parkland.Bedrooms with stunning view on the Loire river. Close to main loire valley châteaux, amboise, chenonceaux, villandry … private tennis court , children games. Quality restaurants nearby. edit