The Amazon is a region of Ecuador.
The Amazon basin spreads over 6 Ecuadorian provinces : Sucumbíos, Orellana, Napo, Pastaza, Morona Santiago and Zamora Chinchipe.
- Lago Agrio, the provincial capital of Sucumbios
- Tena, the provincial capital of Napo
- Coca, the provincial capital of Orellana, officially named Puerta Francisco de Orellana after the Spanish explorer who was the first to cross the south American continent traveling down the Amazon River in 1541-42.
The Ecuadorian Amazon is mainly tropical rainforest elevated 400 m above sea level.
The Amazon region of Ecuador is one of the few places in the world where its probably best to travel with a group, with a guide or through a jungle lodge. Unless you are studying, teaching English or consulting on a project in the Amazon, you are unlikely to have enough knowledge about the area to stay safe and, most importantly, to learn about the plants and animals that make the area so special.
If you have more than a few days and you're not on a super tight budget, staying and traveling with a jungle lodge can be very rewarding. You're based right in the midst of the jungle, and, at the better lodges, you're in an area that's protected from farming, logging and drilling. You usually have 2-3 activities per day including birding hikes, canoe trips and fishing for piranhas. Again, at some of the better lodges, you usually have a indigenous guide that speaks English, French, etc. This ensures that you really get to see some amazing things like five different species of monkeys, caimans, tarantulas and lots and lots of birds.
For hard-core birders, most of the lodges offer special sight-seeing activities with much earlier wake-up calls.
Typically, you pay one daily fee that includes transportation to/from the airport, accommodations, meals and guides, and then snacks, alcohol and tips are over and above the fee.
Fees range from under $100USD to well over $250USD/night depending on how you booked your stay. If you book directly with a lodge or if you book through an Ecuadorean travel agency, you generally get a better deal than one if your home country is USA.
Visiting indigenous communities is usually really expensive and very hard to reach. They are usually really deep in the jungle and access to them is only available by small Cessna planes. There are also some luxury lodges which were foreign investments but now are owned by the community.
- Lago Agrio is an entrance by road and plane to the Ecuadorian Amazon about 7 hour by bus from Quito.
- Tena is an entrance point by road to Ecuadorian Amazon about 6 hours by bus from Quito.
- From Tena is another 5 hours to get to Coca, the province capital of Orellana.
- There are three daily flights between Lago Agrio and Quito, except on Sundays. Flights take about 30 minutes.
- There are two daily flights between Coca and Quito, except on Sundays. Flights take about 25 minutes.
This depends mostly on how much money you have to spend. If you're staying at one of the jungle lodges, you'll be picked up at the airport (either Quito or Coca). Depending on how deep you're going, your boat ride will be anywhere from 3-6 hours long...or more.
If you're not staying at a jungle lodge, you can usually hitch a ride on one of the boats plying the rivers. Just be sure to bring a rain poncho to protect against frequent afternoon storms. If boating's not your thing, there is a system of buses to get into the interior, but the trips are very long.
- Jungle trek
- Visit the communities
It is not allowed to visit the Nature Reserves without a naturalist guide.
- Imagine Ecuador, 16 de Diciembre between Montalvo and Luis A Martinez (half block from the Montalvo Park), ☎ 5930987286625 ([email protected]), . 8am to 21:00. 190 -600. edit
- Gulliver Expeditions (Gulliver Amazon Expeditions), Mariscal Foch E-738 & Reina Victoria Reina Victoria Bldg. 1st floor (At Plaza Foch), ☎ +593 (2) 252 . 8030 ([email protected]), . 8:30 AM to 17:30. Offers tours for 3,4 or 5 days to the Cuyabeno Reserve, Park Yasuni into the primary jungle, As well as tours to the secondary jungle near Tena for 2 or 3 days. The tours are focused on wildlife watching, bird spotting, canoeing, Culture, nature and shamanism. edit
- Green Forest Ecolodge (Cuyabeno Tours & Ecolodge), Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve (Cuyabeno River), ☎ (++593) (3) 2741344 and cell (++593) 9 6 013 9085; email: [email protected], . Experience the wonders & the wildlife of the Real Amazon Jungle in Ecuador. Tours for 3, 4 and 5 days all inclusive. Our lodge is suited to private parties, families, groups and solo travelers who seek privacy and romance in the middle of the Amazon Jungle. - #LIVETHEJUNGLE edit
- The Sacha Lodge  email is: [email protected] The Sacha Lodge is a 3-hour ride down the Napo and boasts its own lake, two birding towners and very friendly staff.
- Tapir Lodge (Tapir Lodge), ☎ (5932) 290-2670 / (5932) 290-6036 ([email protected], fax: (5932) 290-1500), . edit. Eco-lodge inside the Cuyabeno reserve, accommodation with all included tours of 4, 5 and 7 days with camping.
- Shiripuno Lodge  e-mail: [email protected] Exclusive Eco-friendly facility deep in the Yasuni Biosphere Reserve; 30 km of trails, Natural Canopy Access. No Generators, No Internet, No telephone. Nature Tours, Birding Tours, Adventure Tours Phone: 593 2 2271 094
- Yachana Lodge, email is: [email protected], . Yachana Lodge sits on a bluff with beautiful views overlooking the Napo River. Yachana Lodge, as a part of the Yachana Foundation, is the pioneer Eco-lodge dedicated to socially conscious tourism and to educating visitors by engaging with local communities. A trip to Yachana Lodge is a departure from the typical Amazon tourism experience. (0° 50’ 37.7” S,77° 13’ 57.0” W) edit
- Samona Lodge, email is: [email protected], . Samona Lodge is located in the Wildlife Reserve in Cuyabeno. It is a Eco lodge in the Cuyabeno Lagoon. You can see Caiman, Guacamayos, Sneeks, birds, pink dolphin, spiders (,”) edit
- Banana Lodge (Banana Lodge), Misahualli (road to Pununo 800m from the central park), ☎ +593998885169, . 0-24. A family run hostel located in a green zone of Misahualli on a bank of the river Misahualli. A perfect location to start a jungle tour or relax in a tropical climate with the river and jungle sounds at night. Offer a basic accomodation and comfortable rooms with hot water. The owners speak spanish, English and Russian. The owners also offer jungle tours in a comfortable (by boat) or adventurous manner starting from 1 day to expeditions. 8-15 USD pp. (1° 2' 7,77° 39' 56) edit