Amakusa is a chain of islands off the west coast of Kumamoto in Japan.
Amakusa is located west of Kumamoto City and has an area of 85.46 km². An estimated 4,676 people live there, comprising approximately 1,884 families. They have some special products known as Touseki- Amakusa, Takahamayaki, and Fukurenngino-komori-manzyuu. The former two are a type of pottery and the latter is a Japanese sweet.
Buses available from Kumamoto Station or Kumamoto Kotsu Center(Kumamoto Bus terminal).
Ride on a Misumi line and get off at misumi station. And ride on a bus or use Amakusa Takarazima line.
Amakusa Airfield has flights to and from Kumamoto, Fukuoka, Osaka Itami operated by Amakusa Airlines.
A number of boat services are available at Amakusa, including routes from:
- Nagasaki: from Mogi port,Nagasaki to Reihoku Port, Reihoku Kanko Ferry, 0969-35-0705. 3/4 hours; ¥2,000.
- Shimabara: from Kuchinotsu port,Shimabara to Oniike Port, Shimatetsu Ferry, 0957-86-2165 . 1/2 hours; ¥450.
- Kagoshima: from Syoura port,Kagoshima to Nakata Port, Rosary Line, 0996-86-0775. 20 minutes; ¥390.
- Kagoshima: from Kuranomoto port,Kagoshima to Ushibuka Port, Sanwa Ferry, 0969-73-2103. 1/2 hours; ¥490. Buses connect between Kuranomoto port and Izumi station, Kyusyu Shinkansen.
- Beach, there are many beaches here. Shiratsuru-hama in particular has been selected as the 88th nicest beach in Japan by the Japanese government.
- Dolphin Watching, there is a dolphin watching tour. The scheduled times are : 10:00 / 11:30 (morning) and 13:00 / 14:30 (afternoon). A minimum of two people are needed. If there are only two people, the costs are ¥3000 per person. Information is available from 9:00AM-6:00PM. The tour takes about 1 hour, although, you should arrive there 30 minutes early. Call if you're late, please. The basic fare for adults (over 13 years old) ¥2500 / child (under 13) ¥1500 / kids (under 4 years old) ¥1000. If you join as a group of more than 15 people, you get a group discount. Reservation: you need to make a reservation 3 days in advance and check whether the ship works or not. If case of bad weather, the tour might be cancelled. The cancellation charge is 0% until 5:00PM the day before, 50% on the day. There is an option of dolphin watching and a sea barbecue - ¥4000 - ¥6000 per person (You can eat special seafood, Urchin-Don, and freshly prepared boiled abalone and lobster). Another option is dolphin watching and fishing - ¥4000; no more than 5 people. It takes about 2 hours and you can bring them your house. Also there is the option of dolphin watching and staying the night - ¥10000 - ¥15000. You can choose a tourist home or a Japanese inn.
Their festival, Amakusa Hondo Summer festival, is held from July 31 to August 7.
- Amakusako Haiya (July 31)
The festival kicks off with a kids dance that starts in the evening near Hondo Citizen Center.
- The Fireworks (July 31)
Starting at 8:30 (after the dancing), it is held at Hondo port. There is a big fireworks which marks 1.5 Japanese foot so you must move around to get a big impact. They also have a beer garden.
- The eve of Amakusa Haiya (August 6, held in the evening)
Locals dance in the Hondo Suwa temple to celebrate this festival. After that, the main group dances on the arcade to entertain the audience.
- The general dance of Amakusa Haiya on the street. (August 7. Starts at 7:30. Held between the front of the city hall of Hondo and Amakusa Shinyou Kinko.)
This is the biggest event in the festival. About 3500 people dance in colorful clothes, and even allow visitors to join the dancing!
More information: Hondo Matsuri practice committee:
Amakusa is beside the sea, so fresh seafood is easy to find.