Alor Archipelago is an island group in Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.
- Kalabahi — the only town in the archipelago is located on Alor Island. Kalabahi is the main city, and the capital of the Alor Regency. This is where all the facilities and accommodation are centered.
Previously well and truly off-the-beaten-path, more and more adventurous travelers are discovering the delights of this remote island group. The key attractions are water-based, with world-class diving and fishing leading the way.
The archipelago consists of the following main islands:
- Alor - the largest island in the archipelago which is located at its eastern end. The vast majority of the infrastructure of the archipelago is either based here or run from here.
- Pantar - the 2nd largest island in the archipelago which is just across Lembata island. The new airport is under construction.
- Ternate (Alor) (not to be confused with Ternate in Maluku)
Alorese speaking Bahasa Indonesia and some traditional languages.
Only few people speaks English
Kalabahi airport on Alor Island has 3 to 4 daily flights to and from Kupang in West Timor on Wings Air , TransNusa Air Services  and NAM Air  . A one way ticket costs starts from Rp 275,000 and the journey takes 45-50 minutes.
The Indonesian national ferry carrier Pelni  serves Kalabahi from many points in eastern Indonesia. Two ferries have schedules stopping here: MV Awu  and KM Sirimau . The distances involved are huge, so be prepared for long journeys and frequent delays.
You can also take ferry from Kupang-Alor (16 to 18 hours) from Kupang's Bolok harbor twice a week (Tuesday & Saturday from Kupang) and Wednesday & Sunday from Alor. Buy the tickets directly at the harbor
Rent motorbike at MALA Tours Ph/Whatsapp: +628121898969 (in front of Kalabahi hospital, Dekranasda building) IDR 75,000 per 24 hours . They also help u if you want to rent cars.
Rent cars from IDR 600,000 up to IDR 1,000,000 (depends on your destinations)
Bemo (in Kalabahi area) IDR 4,000/pax one way
Bemo to outside the town (to Sebanjar or Alor Kecil) IDR 25,000/pax one way
Ojek - motorbike taxi (anywhere in Kalabahi) one way for IDR 5,000 but expect to pay more at night
Beach combing: Mali beach, Maimol beach and Batu Putih beach for a relaxed swimming. You can as well visit Sebanjar beach to snorkel.
Diving : Comet Bay, Pearl Garden, Kepa Island and Sea Garden along Ternate island, Pura island and Pantar strait will be great spots for experienced diver because the under water current is strong. Drift diving is also suggested.
See traditional houses and people custom in Takpala village about 45 minutes from Kalabahi by car/motorbike. They will show you their custom, clothes, and houses as well their traditional dances.
See natural hot spring in Tutti near Bukapiting sub district. The natural heat from the ground turn the water warm to hot and create the hot spring river.
- MALA Eco Tours (MALA Tours), Jl. Dr. Soetomo no.1, Dekranasda building (in front of Kalabahi hospital), ☎ +628121898969, . 10:00 - 22:00. MALA Eco Tours is a professional tour operator that certified by World Wide Fund. They provide Dugong watching tours, snorkelling/diving tours, trips to traditional village, spearfishing and free-diving tours and other conservation tours as well family/group/solo trip. They also provide help to buy ferry, ship and flight tickets and they have English and Deutsch speaking guides. edit
Alor Island's world class dive site in Indonesia. Home to one of the best coral reef and marine life of diving Indonesia. Alor Divers is an intimate eco dive resort.
Try the famous grilled fishes in Reklamasi food court that open in the evening. These fishes usually caught fresh by the local fishermen. Try to buy the traditional cookies - Kue Rambut - that sold in the traditional market, supermarket and Dekranasda (beside the post office)
You might want to eat jagung titi dan kenari (crushed corn flakes and canary nuts) that also sold in the traditional market and supermarket. Try the jagung titi that sold in Jonathan Bakery near the old market for a ready-to-eat snack. Kaleso (a cooked rice cake) also worth to try. It's plain taste can be eaten as side dishes with grilled fish.
- Alor Divers Restaurant (alor islands restaurant), Jl. Tengiri No.1, ☎ +62813 1780 4133, . The restaurant is a relaxing area that provides facilities for different daily activities and inactivity. If you just want to relax and enjoy a drink or a book. It is a place that, apart from the dining area, also embraces a library and a computer corner as well as a comfortable lounge. Three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) are generally served buffet or family style. Complementary tea and coffee are available at all times and in the afternoon they offer a selection of sweet or savoury snacks. They offer a variety of healthy meals using fresh produce from the local market and fresh fish catch from local fishermen. The meals are a carefully chosen combination of Asiatic and International dishes which will not leave any of the guests dissatisfied. They are usually able to accommodate special diet needs if given an adequate advance notice. edit
- DK Cafe, Jl. Dr. Soetomo no.1 (beside the post office and in front of Kalabahi hospital), ☎ +6281260677055, . The restaurant got Free WiFi (the only one in Alor) and their specialty is cocktails made from Sopi (traditional Alor liquor) and traditional Alorese food like Jagung Bose (corn and lentil coconut milk soup), Jagung Ketemak (corn and veggies soup), Ikan Kuah Asam (fish soup), Indonesian food like Nasi Uduk, fried rice, capcay, various noodles, fried plantain, and other Western food like Toast, Pancakes, Banana Split, and some local as well as imported coffee. They made good cappuccino and latte too. At weekends they also provide sports entertainment like MotoGP, F1 race and movies night. They also rent snorkelling and diving gears and provide day trips as well tour packages too. edit
Eco Dive Resort (Alor Divers) is 7 bungalow and intimate resort is situated on a stretch of 400 m long sandy beach on Pantar Island.
- Pulau Sika, Behind Alor Airport, ☎ 006281236978212. alows for visitors to stay. Pulau Sika is behind Alor airport. There is no road to get there - you have to wait for the low tide and cross the shallow water to get to Sika. The resort is run by very friendly family is PAONE is the man to contact (006281236978212). The bungalows are newly build (July 2016). His family will provide you food and water. The cost of food is included in the price. PAONE also arranges Dugong seeing tours. To get there call PAONE and ask for the directions or ask any local person. edit
- Dinda Homestay, Dahlia street, no 20 - Mata Air, Kalabahi City - Alor Island (40 meters from Telkom Office, heading north), ☎ +6282116308888. This place is a new family-run homestay located strategically in the city centre, about 40 meters heading North from the Telkom office. The air-conditioned rooms are equipped with clean towels, sheets, blankets, and local TV (no international channels, unfortunately). They give free small breakfast and afternoon snacks for guests, which is a good deal for such price. Cold beers are available for purchase. And they can pick you up for a fee of IDR 25,000 for motorbike or IDR 50,000 for car. 200000. edit