Alessandria is a city in Piedmont with a population of approx. 97,000. It is located right in the middle of the industrial triangle of the north-west of Italy in between Milan (97 km), Turin (90km) and Genoa (86km). Its province is quite extensive and covers parts of Monferrato, renowned for its wines.
Alessandria is a major hub for train travel. There are frequent trains from/to Genoa, Milano and Turin . Autozug is a service of DeutscheBahn that connects Germany straight to Alessandria. . Autoslaap also connects the Netherlands with Alessandria. Major motorways in the north pass through Alessandria from which it is easy to reach the seaside, the Alps, the lakes and the cities around.
View of "La Cittadella" and Tanaro river
"Duomo", the main cathedral has the 4th highest tower in Italy (106m).
"La cittadella" is a beautiful ex-military area today used for festivals and shows, just acrosa Tanaro River.
Santa Maria di Castello church, in the older area of the city, is a medieval church which was destroyed and rebuilt several times; it is possible to view the past layers.
Piazza della Libertá holds the city hall and an expensive car park where once was the Dome.
In general the city centre is very nice although not at all taken care of and ruined by the cars parked everywhere.
Corso Roma. This is the main shopping street, with all the boutiques and hight street chain stores, from Zara, to Tezenis, Carpisa, Swatch, etc. The Borsalino store still sells the famous hats. Borsalino originally comes from Alessandria and has left a deep legacy. This street has been recently repaved and gets packed especially on Saturdays between 6 pm and 8 pm.
Rabatons à la lisandreina (A kind of gnocchis with spinachs and cheese);
Pollo alla marengo;
Amaretti (small cookies with almonds);
Baci di dama (small cookies with chocolate and chestnuts);
- Cercenà, Piazzetta della Lega Lombarda 12 (From Piazza Garibaldi near the station take Corso Roma that ends in Piazzetta della Lega), ☎ 0131251643. Ice cream shop. Cercenà has a long tradition of making ice cream and this is absolutely one of the best home made ice creams in town, although competion is fierce. Try also the sorbetto or the granita. edit
- Zogra, Corso Roma (From the railway station cross the gardens towards Piazza Garibaldi and you can find it at the beginning of Corso Roma). Lush interiors and a good selection of cocktails. The furniture is Italian design at its best. Expect a fashionable crowd, with occasional live music events, especially jazz. edit
- Di Noi Tre, Via Plana (From Piazza della Libertà take Via Mazzini). Relaxed atmosphere with confortable vintage seating and good music, great for conversation. It gets quite busy on Fridays and Saturdays. edit
- La Compagnia dei Matti, Via Caniggia 11 (From the railway station walk towards Piazza Garibaldi, then take Corso Roma and it's the first street on your right), ☎ +39 0131 231112. 8-20. Great place for a rest after shopping at nearby Corso Roma. edit
- Castello di Oviglio (Castello di Oviglio), Via XXIV Maggio, 1 · 15026 Oviglio (AL), ([email protected]), . Oviglio Castle is an impressive and luxurious, historic residence, situated between two of the most fascinating areas of Piedmont: Monferrato and Langhe, or rather halfway between the provinces of Asti and Alessandria edit
- Palazzo Paleologi, Via Bobba 1 - 15040 Lu, ☎ +39 013 1741507 ([email protected], fax: +39 013 1741507), . In the rooms of Palazzo Paleologi, you'll find a quiet and relaxing atmosphere, the ideal place for a relaxing vaction and to experience the real Italy. edit
- Ca Bianca Relais Melazzo – Basso Erro, 27, 15010 Melazzo (AL), Italy . Telephone +39 014 441669 • A cosy bed and breakfast hosted in an historic farmhouse of the 19th century owned by the Della Rovere family, located in the province of Alessandria and only 7 km away from Acqui Terme, with four suites and one double bedrooms with private bath. Also available a restaurant service, a wine bar and a common kitchen. Double 80 Euros.