Agonda is in the southernmost Canacona taluka of Indian state of Goa.
Agonda is a great spot for sunbathing, relaxing and swimming, with still relatively few tourists.
Agonda is a nice long pristine stretch of beach. Though the waters here might not be the most ideal place for swimming (you have better beaches with calm waters in Goa), Agonda is definitely a place for those who want to quit on a Monday morning. Most mobile connections do not work here (of those having SIM cards easily available to foreigners, only Vodafone does), so that is an added bonus for those looking forward to a quiet and relaxed holiday. Or, if you do need to party sometimes, Palolem is just 15 minutes by motorbike (10 km) away - but Agonda is generally cheaper, quieter, hassle-free and has much less "touristic" feel.
Agonda Beach basically has one long road parallel to the beach line, most rooms and bungalows for rent are located either between them or on the opposite side of the road. In the center of the beach, there is Agonda Church and even a local school/college (funny enough called Agonda University) to the right of it. Many local children go from/to there in the morning. Another road goes up from the church, crosses the river shortly after and goes through the village to the junction with a main road from Chaudi and Palolem, which are both to the right. To the left, this bigger road crosses the village until the beach road joins it near the river mouth and northern end of the beach, then continues on in the direction of Cabo da Rama.
Dabolim airport is about a 90-minutes drive away.
Agonda by road is 15 minutes from the more famous, busy Palolem beach.
Agonda is only a few kilometres from Canacona station, although main train services stop at Margao station, about an hour’s drive away.
Regular buses depart from the Canacona bus station for Agonda (about 20 minutes). Buses from Chaudi and Margao are available few times a day.
From Canacona railway, it's about 1km to the Canacona bus stand, where you can get a bus the 9km to Agonda. The bus stand is a large building with a white, curved roof. It is visible from the balcony of the Canacona railway station. To get there, walk up the road away from the train station until you reach the main rd. Turn right (there will be a railway bridge to your left), and walk for 300m, the building will be on your left. Buses start at 7:35am and run about every hour until 6pm-ish. As with any Indian bus stand, you'll have to ask the people around, although the buses heading in that direction do usually stop near the sign at the bus station that says Agonda.
Agonda buses leave to go back every 30 mins from the other side of the road to where you get dropped off. The last bus Agonda to Canacona leaves Agonda at 6:30pm. If you miss it, the locals can be persuaded to give you a motorbike ride back to the station for about Rs100.
Some buses will drop you off at the centre of the beach, on a junction near the church.
There are more buses on the main road, but this means 10-15 minutes walk to/from the beach center. The price to Chaudi is Rs.15-20 (January 2014). To Canacona, about Rs25.
Taxis and auto rickshaws can be taken as a more comfortable and quicker alternative to the public bus.
Ask any rickshaw driver or taxi driver and they will take you there from Palolem, Patnem or Chaudi.
One or two tuk-tuks usually stands near the church during the daytime. As always in India, bargain (the normal price to Chaudi or Palolem should be around Rs.200 (January 2014), but many tourists end up paying more).
Motorbikes and scooters are offered for rent, both by house owners and by tuk-tuk/motorbike guys near the church. A nearly-new Honda Activa or similar should cost Rs.150-200 (200 is an usual starting price, but during the peak period bargaining could be difficult), less if rented for more than a week or two.
The local bus runs on road 49. It costs Rs.10 and is a good means to get to go e.g. to Palolem beach or Cajumol (bus terminal) at (15.072697, 73.967804).
Agonda's beach is very simple and natural. There are some sunbeds but when the tourist police or Canacona local government officials appear, any beach shades, sunbeds, chairs etc which are outside the confines of the shacks disappear pronto and the beach looks even more gorgeous and makes you realise why you went there and not to some built up resort.
Agonda beach is famous as a Ridley turtle nesting site. These animals are endangered. Please keep the noise level and the lights down at night at the beach to give them a chance to nest. The Panchayat ( village administration) is very invested in not allowing Agonda to become another overcrowded Palolem. Anything you can do to minimize waste, safe water or electricity will be much appreciated since the village is struggling to avoid environmental degradation and preserve it's beauty for the next generation. It is very quiet place, not suitable for the party crowd.
- Cabo de Rama. Maratha king Sambhaji Raje built this Fort. Nova Conquesta added this part of Goa in portuguese colony and named it Cabo De Rama i.e. Cave of rama on learning from myths from locals edit
- Butterfly beach. Buttefly beach is fairly hard to reach, since you either need to go by boat or you need to hike at least 2 hours through a dense forest. Check back with locals, if the path is open at this time of the year. edit
A typical sun and sand holiday.
- Local Fishermen take you on dolphin rides. Bargain hard and a boat can take up to people, costing Rs 800.
- Ride through the countryside on the way to cabo de rama, cola beach with its beautiful river which is always warm.
- A meeting place for spiritually interested people. Here is Samdarshi's mediation Ashram in wintertime (Eden-Garden close to the northend) with Satsangs, and free Osho mediation techniques, dancing evenings.
- Cola Beach (or Khola Beach) is a remote, unspoilt beach for those seeking complete peace and relaxation, 10km north from Agonda. Go north past Agonda, up and down hills, through villages, past the big temple on your left to the place where the bus stops. About 25 meters after your exit is the only road sign for Cola beach. Your exit is a sand and stone road going through the dried out landscape, just follow the main track for a few km’s and you’ll find yourself looking down on Cola beach. It’s not all that easy to find this place, but it will be worth your effort. You park your bike or scooter where the road ends, and then there’s a 3-minute walk, down to the beach. Cola beach looks beautiful through the trees from the top of the path. The beach is actually three small bays, separated by large rocks. The middle beach covers a lagoon that stretches back into the jungle. When you walk down the stairs you’ll walk straight into the ‘Blue Lagoon’, the only option for eating and drinking on Cola beach. You can also walk to Cola Beach from Agonda. Walk north from Agonda up to the crossing with a tiny market on the right (15.060122, 73.981786). Turn left and follow the muddy road until you see the coast. You will find stairs at (15.055957, 73.972302) which lead you around the resort directly to the beach. Depending on tide, you might get your feeds wet when entering the beach from the stairs. One direction should take you 1.5 hours
- Blue Planet Wellness Retreat, Agonda - Palolem road, Canacona, . At the "Blue Planet Wellness Retreat" there are daily yoga classes, a solar heated pool where you can have an Aquatic Bodywork session and then eat at the famous "Blue Planet Cafe". edit
- The Space Wellness Centre, Palolem to Agonda Road (The centre is located on the road between Agonda and Palolem.), . The Space Wellness centre offers yoga, meditation, pilates, fitness workouts, and inspirational workshops, a deli, and a restaurant. edit
- Yogamea Yoga School, Agonda Palace, Near St. Ann's Church, Agonda Beach, Goa, . Yogamea Yoga School offers yoga teacher training courses as well as yoga retreats, intensive yoga weeks and drop-in yoga classes. All with fresh, ayurvedic vegetarian food & very comfortable accommodation. edit
- Sarvaguna Yoga-Meditation School, Sunset House, Near St.Rama Resort, South Agonda Beach, Goa, . Sarvaguna Yoga School offers yoga teacher training,Yoga retreats,Meditation Teacher Training courses,Meditation retreats,and also drop-in yoga classes, Meditation classes, with vegetarian food & comfortable accommodation. edit
There are stores stocking basic supplies in Agonda, as well as internet, phone and currency conversion services. HDFC Bank ATM is located near the church. The HDFC Bank ATM is known to run out of cash frequently. If you do not mind the 30 minute walk from Agonda Beach, you can check the SBI ATM at (15.050342, 73.998072). To get there, walk up the street from Fatima's corner until you reach the upper road 49. Turn left and continue until you see the Cricket ground on the left. At the next crossing, turn right to see the ATM.
More shops, a Saturday market and several ATMs are a 20-minute drive away in the local town, Chaudi.
There are now many restaurants to choose from on Agonda Beach and behind in the village. The standard has risen in the last few years as the resorts have raised there standard with both accommodation and food. You can see the influence of chefs/consultants from overseas and also from Indian chefs trained in 5 stars.
On the road towards Palolem, just 10 minutes walking distance from Agonda, you have a great home made food restaurant called as Bandekar's. You can pick the fish you want from their fridge. The rates are extremely reasonable and not touristic.
Some local shops also do have a few tables and prepare basic food (omelettes, fish & veg thalis, tea, juice, etc.) during the high season, but their price tag is usually more "touristic" (less than in restaurants, however, that is Rs.50-60 for a thali). One of them can be found just 50 m right from the church, at the end of the first building with small shops on the left side.
- Agonda White Sand Restaurant, Agonda (Turn right at the Agonda Church), . 8:30AM-10:30PM. A restaurant serving Indian cuisine and a few home comforts. Check out the menu on the website. edit
- Blue Planet Cafe, Agonda (off the main Agonda to Palolem road), ☎ 932611894, . 8:30AM-9:30PM. Family run organic vegetarian vegan cafe in a beautiful natural setting. Very friendly staff serving great healthy wholesome food. Fantastic juices and smoothies. Vegan cakes and deserts. edit
- Romance, Agonda (on the beach, about halfway down). Lovely owners. The food is slightly overpriced, but it's clean and tasty and the owners will let you sit there all day on a meal. The banana porridge is pretty good. They also have very nice and colorful (and nice inside) shacks they rent out. Rs 70-150. edit
- La Dolce Vita, Agonda (main road, south of Dersey's). Surprisingly good Italian food. A bit expensive but during the season it's always full. They import a lot of their ingredients so you get actual feta and mozzarella cheese. Rs 150-300. edit
- DucknChill-Agonda, Beach road, north end, ☎ 00917769876742 ([email protected]), . Restaurant and huts direct on the beach, beautiful view, nice and helpful staff, very good food and drinks. national and international food, fresh juices, fruitsalads. edit
- The Bay Agonda (the bay agonda), Near Salleri Bridge, Agonda, Goa 403702 (North End), ☎ 0832 264 7977, . 8:30 AM - 10:30 PM. The Bay Agonda is an Exquisite Resort and Restaurant in South Goa.This extraordinary agonda beach resort offers a Goa vacation of extraordinary privacy. 150. (15.053690,73.982424) edit
Agonda is a relatively quiet village, and there are much fewer opportunities for a party evening out than there are in Palolem, but for those that want to chill, swim, read a book and enjoy a sunset drink, that is perfect!. There are many simple stunning bars looking directly onto the beach in front of the resorts. You can find local and imported beers as well as local and imported spirits. What beach paradise would be complete without a cocktail at sunset. There is a wine shop around 100-150 m to the right from Agonda church and another one in Dersey's. Just opposite the church on the street leading away from the sea, there is a tiny and cheap local bar (small beer Rs.30 / big 60, they have Old Monk, etc. also) which is open till the evening.
Agonda beach is a 2km stretch of sand. The standard of accommodation in Agonda has risen over the last few years, partly as a result of it being voted the No.1 beach in India by TripAdvisor last year. Accommodation ranges from simple to cabana style villas with open-roof bathrooms and Jacuzzis. Fortunately as it is a protected turtle nesting beach the restrictions have stopped it from becoming over crowded and has kept concrete development away.
- Agonda White Sand, Agonda Beach (northern end of the beach, about 0.5km to the right from the Agonda beach road junction), ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Luxury beach cottages. With bar & restaurant. Rs. 1,800-3,500. edit
- Agonda Villas, Agonda Beach (Middle of the beach), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. There are 2 Grand villas and 3 Luxury villas. All the villas have big bedrooms, dressing rooms, and open-air bathrooms. They all directly face the sea. From Rs. 6,000-8,000. edit
- Agonda Cottages, Agonda Beach (Located towards the Southern end of the beach), . Agonda Cottages is located in the sea-side village of Agonda in South Goa where the pace of life is laid-back, 10kms from the famous bustling Palolem beach and 55kms from Dabolim Airport. A stay at Agonda Cottages offers an idyllic beach holiday as well as the perfect base to explore South Goa. edit
- Agonda Beach Resort, Agonda Beach (Middle of the beach), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. 5 beautiful cottages with an open-air bathroom. From Rs. 4,200-6,900. edit
- Kashinath Beach Huts, (at the center of Agonda Beach), ☎ +91 94211 17541 ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Fully Beach facing Huts with private porch and hammock, wherein you can relax overlooking Agonda Beach. Private tiled bath with modern fittings. Rs.2000 - Rs.3000. edit
- Mariposa Beach Grove, Agonda Beach (Towards the Northern end of the beach), . checkin: 12 (midday); checkout: 11am. 7 beach facing villas on Agonda Beach. edit
- Vilasa Ahuta, Agonda Beach (We have 4 resorts on Agonda Beach), . checkin: 12 (midday); checkout: 11am. 4 resorts at 4 stunning locations along Agonda Beach. Direct booking through our website. edit
- Rama Resort, Agonda Beach (From the church, turn left and go 500m), ☎ +91 77 98 54 51 49 ([email protected]), . Luxurious, clean beach side cottages. Nice restaurant, great location, and a large garden. Rs. 1,800-3,500. edit
- Madhu Beach Huts, Agonda Beach (center of the beach 100m from the church), ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Luxury beach cottages. With bar & tandoori restaurant. Rs. 1,800-3,500. edit
- Agonda Beach Huts, Agonda Beach (central part of the beach, about 1km to the right from the Agonda beach road junction), ☎ +91 99 234 82112 ([email protected]), . checkin: 12am; checkout: 11am. Spacious cottages with attached baths and shaded sit outs. Rs.800 - Rs.2,000. edit
- Cuba Agonda, Agonda Beach, . Cuba Agonda offers 7 luxury AC beach bungalows and 5 non AC rooms. With bar & restaurant and sun beds. edit
- H2O Agonda, Agonda Beach (central part of the beach, about 200m south of the church), ☎ +91 9423836994 ([email protected]), . Stylish and spacious cottages, each with its own balcony. With restaurant. Garden cottages Rs. 2,000-4,500, sea view cottages Rs. 4,000-7,000. edit
- Simrose, . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Simrose huts are furnished simple but comfortable and have table and chairs on the outside balcony. All huts and rooms have private bath rooms with a western style WC and a wash hand basin, fans, and mosquito nets. With restaurant. Rs.400 - Rs.2,400. edit
- Blue Lagoon Cola Beach, (4km North of Agonda), ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Accommodation of luxury Rajasthani tents and beach huts is available amongst a jungle setting overlooking a freshwater lagoon and the Arabian Sea. Rs.1000 - Rs.4,000. edit
- Dunhill Beach Resort, Agonda Beach Road (Take Left from Agonda Church), ☎ +91 832 2647328, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 11.30. Premium Beach Resort with 20 Rooms/Cabanas 6 Luxury Beach Cabanas on the beach side 14 permanent rooms located 50 mts from the beach(Garden View Restaurant is located on the beach with beach beds and full sea view . Serving Speciality Seafood with Bar 2500-6000. edit
- DucknChill-Agonda, Beach road (north end), ☎ 00917769876742, . checkin: 12; checkout: 11. DucknChill-Agonda Resort have 4 different categories with nice comfortable Beachhuts, every with double bed, moskitonet, fan, veranda or balkony, attached bathroom, open from October until mai The family and their friends makes you feel at home 1400-5500. edit
- The Bay Agonda (Agonda Beach Resort), Near Salleri Bridge (Near Salleri Bridge), ☎ 00918322647977, . checkin: 12:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. The Bay Agonda is the Agonda Beach Resort with beautiful sea facing and river facing villa. The environment and surrounding of The Bay Agonda will amaze your stay. The friendly staff will make your stay even better. Rs. 5000 - 8000. (15°03'12.9N,73°58'57.0E) edit
- Credo Jungle Resort - Agonda, 109/3 Guruwal (south hill,next to Wildhorses), ☎ 00919820740751, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. jungle resort with nice huts diff. categories, nature, horses, bonefire sessions with life music, you also can bring your one tent 400-2000. edit
Agonda is a fairly safe place. While you should retain your common sense, lock the door and windows when going out, and not to leave your valuables unattended, chances to have any problems in Agonda are very slim. Even sellers offering useless "souvenirs" on the beach are much less annoying and less frequent here than in Palolem or northern beaches.
Local bus station is in Chaudi. It is useful mainly for going to the south (Karwar, Ankola, Gokarna, Mangalore), east (Hampi via Ankola), or some more remote locations like Bangalore. If you plan to visit North Goa or going somewhere further north - you should go straight to Margao, as from Chaudi it will be your first major stop anyway.
Train station in Chaudi (Canacona) has only a few trains a day stopping on it. Much more trains are leaving or stopping on Margao (Madgaon) station. Check IRCTC web site for details and online ticket bookings.
The nearest (international) airport is at Dabolim, 65 km away. To get there by bus, you'll need to first to Margao, then to Vasco Da Gama or to the airport directly. There is possibly direct bus from Karwar to Vasco/airport also, which stops at Canacona - check in advance whether it's available.
Taxis are advertised in Agonda by some establishments (shops, etc.) on the beach road - mostly for longer trips such as to airport or Margao. Prepaid taxi from Margao (45 km), as of October 2009, costs Rs.600, probably 800 or 900 from the airport (65 km) - so you should negotiate at least comparable, or cheaper price.