Abilene is a city in the North Central Plains of Texas.
- Abilene Regional Airport Hwy 36 & Loop 322
- From Dallas and Fort Worth: Take I-30 West towards Weatherford. Between Fort Worth and Weatherford, I-30 ends. Continue West on I-20 towards Abilene. Time: between 2 1/2 and 3 hrs, depending on traffic and where you start.
- From San Angelo: Take US-277 North to Abilene. Time: about 1 1/2 hrs.
- From Lubbock: Take US-84 to Sweetwater, there US-84 mirdges with I-20. Continue on I-20 East until US-84 brakes off of I-20 and continue on US-84. Time: about 3 hrs.
- From San Antonio: Take I-10 West to Comfort. At Comfort, use exit 523 and take US-87 North to Brady. In Brady, take US-283 North to Coleman. In Coleman take US-84 to Abilene. Time: 4 hrs depending on traffic.
- Abilene Zoo, 2070 Zoo Lane (in Nelson Park), 325 676 6085, . Fifth largest zoo in the state.
- T&P Depot, 1101 N. 1st Street, +1 325 673-4587, This historic depot was built by the Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1910. In 1967 the last passenger train left the depot with a total of 39 passengers on board. In 1994 the exterior of the depot was restored to its exact appearance during the 1920's. The depot is currently the home of the Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau and Cultural Affairs Council. Admission is free.
- Western Heritage Classic, at the Expo Center of Taylor County, 1700 Highway 36, 325 677 4376, . A unique 4-day event held in early May to preserve western heritage. Includes a ranch rodeo, a chuckwagon cookoff, a bit and spur show, cowboy poetry, western art show, and a western parade.
- Abilene Christian University, 1600 Campus Court (Take Judge Ely Blvd north from Business 20. ACU will be on your left just north of EN 16th street.), ☎ (325) 674-2000. Expansive and well-maintained campus. Unique and beautiful architecture mixes with a large number of artworks. A 1.86 mile walking trail encircles the campus. Various theatrical, musical and athletic events occur throughout the year. edit
- Hardin-Simmons University, 2200 Hickory St, ☎ (325) 670-1000. Founded in 1891, HSU is a private Baptist liberal arts university. With a small, beautiful campus, HSU is worth a peek. edit
- McMurry University, 1401 Sayles Blvd, ☎ (325) 793-3800. Founded in 1923, McMurry is a small, tightly knit community of students and educators. Located in Abilene's bustling south side. edit
- Buffalo Gap Historic Village, 133 N Willams St. (Take Buffalo Gap Road (FM-89) south for 9 miles and follow the signs), ☎ 1 325 572 3365, . M-Sa:10AM-5PM Sunday:12PM-5PM. Adult: $5 Senior/Military: $4 Students (K-12): $3 Children under 5 yrs: FREE. edit
- Century 12 by Cinemark, 3818 John Knox Dr, ☎ (325) 793-9292. Abilene's newest and largest theater. All stadium seating. edit
- Premier Cinema 10, 4310 Buffalo Gap Rd, ☎ (325) 695-2122. 10-screen theater inside the Mall of Abilene. Recently renovated, all stadium seating. Great bar/restaurant located next door for easy post-movie lounging. edit
- Carmike Park Central 6, 3234 S Clack St, ☎ (325) 698-3540. 6-screen theater, recently renovated. All stadium seating. edit
- Grace Cultural Center, 102 Cypress St, ☎ (325) 673-4587. 3 museums under one roof: an art museum, a history museum and an interactive children's museum spread out over the three floors of the beautiful former Grace Hotel built in 1909. edit
- Historic Paramount Theater, 352 Cypress St, ☎ (325) 676-9620. Beautiful art-deco theater built in 1930 by H.O. Wooten whose namesake skyscraper looms overhead. The Paramount plays host to a slew of theatrical and musical productions as well as screenings of both classic and contemporary films. The 2,000 seat auditorium is built to look like an outdoor Spanish courtyard, complete with twinkling stars and drifting clouds on the ceiling. edit
- National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature, 102 Cedar St, Abilene, ☎ (325) 673-4586. Tu-Sa 10-4. A small but wonderful museum showcasing the works of children's authors and illustrators. The NCCIL ("nickel") has played host to everyone from the Bernstein Bears to the works of Eric Carle. Exhibits are rotational and admission is free. Just one block from the Grace Museum. Free. edit
- Frontier Texas!, 625 N 1st St, ☎ (325) 437-2800. M-Sa 9-6, Sun 1-5. Expansive new historical museum in eastern downtown Abilene, focusing on west central Texas' frontier days. Headquarters of the Texas Forts Trail. Not to be missed. $8 Adults, $6 seniors & military, $5 students & teachers. edit
- Mall of Abilene, 4310 Buffalo Gap Road. Anchored by JCPenney, Sears, Dillard's, Best Buy and Books-A-Million. Home to dozens of smaller specialty clothing and gift stores and restaurants. edit
- The Shops at Abilene, 3417 Catclaw Drive. Anchored by Bed Bath & Beyond, Ross, Old Navy, Petsmart, Michael's and Beall's. Also home to The Children's Place, James Avery, Shoe Carnival, Rue21, Catherine's, Lane Bryant, Payless Shoes, Oreck, AT&T, Red Robin, Coldstone Creamery, Gamestop, SportClips, Smoothie King and several others. Wal-Mart is at the same intersection and Kohl's is just down the street. edit
- Wal*Mart South, 4350 Southwest Drive, ☎ (325) 695 3092. edit
- Wal*Mart North, 1650 State Highway 351, ☎ (325) 670-0758. edit
- Bogie's, 241 Cypress St, 325 672 3296. Custom-made sandwiches on fresh-baked bread.
- Cypress Street Station, 158 Cypress St, 325 676 3463. Popular local barbecue/steakhouse.
- Lytle Land & Cattle Co, 1150 E South 11th St, 325 677 1925, . Great steak and seafood.
- Szechuan Chinese Restaurant, 3425 S 1st St, 325 673 9100. Decent Chinese fare with large portions.
- Perini Ranch Steakhouse, 3002 FM 89, ☎ (325) 572-3464. Famously good steaks. Voted best burger in America by the Today show in 2009. Catered several of President Bush's events. edit
- The Beehive, 442 Cedar Street, ☎ (325) 675-0600. Wonderful and well-priced casual fine dining in the heart of downtown. edit
- Copper Creek, 4401 Loop 322, ☎ (325) 692-4424. closed Sundays. Fine Texas Dining: unsurpassed atmosphere and wonderful waitstaff coupled with delicious food and potent drinks. edit
- Sharky's Burrito Inc, 1095 North Judge Ely Boulevard, ☎ 325-676-7330. 11AM-9PM. The College-town burrito joint inside United Supermarkets. Try the local improvement on Chipotle. Go for the seasoned chips and Spicy Ranch. Ask for the Kid's Burrito, its plenty big. 6.00. edit
- Remington's Lounge, 4250 Ridgemont Dr, ☎ (325) 698-1234. Located inside the impressive MCM Elegante Suites, Remington's is a popular local hotspot. edit
- Seafood Tavern, 1882 South Clack Street, ☎ (325) 695-1770. The small, dimly-lit bar in Seafood Tavern feels more like a British pub than a west Texas saloon. With live music regularly and a large and comfortable outdoor area, The Tavern is a great place to unwind. edit
- Jack Rabbit Slim's, 833 East Hwy 80. Cheap beer, shot specials and a slew of massive projector screens and TVs playing sports and music all night, Slim's is a great hangout. edit
- Linda's Lounge, 840 Us Highway 80 E. With a hole-in-the-wall feel, Linda's has 2 pool tables, loud music and cheap drinks. Regularly standing-room only on weekends. Very popular with the local college crowd. edit
- Buffalo Wild Wings, 4401 Ridgemont Dr, ☎ (325) 695-9464. Very popular sports bar. Full menu at all hours. edit
- Chelsea Street Pub, 4310 Buffalo Gap Rd. Located in the Mall of Abilene next to Premier Cinema. Live music most weekends. edit
- Cabo's, 1874 S Clack St. Expansive sports bar with pool tables, darts and numerous TVs. edit
- Candlewood Suites, 3050 Catclaw Drive, ☎ (800) 881-9725. Opening 2009. edit
- Comfort Inn, 6350 Directors Pkwy, ☎ (325) 437-3773. Across the street from Abilene Regional Medical Center. Convenient to US 83/84 and Lake Kirby, Fairway Oaks Country Club and entire southern medical district. edit
- Comfort Suites (North), 1902 E Overland Trl, ☎ (325) 672-0338. Convenient to Universities & Hendrick Medical Center. edit
- Comfort Suites (South), 3165 S Danville Dr, ☎ (325) 795-8500. Convenient to shopping & dining. edit
- Courtyard Abilene (Hotel in Abilene), 4350 Ridgemont Dr., Abilene Texas 79606, ☎ (325) 695-9600, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 12pm. This Abilene hotel is conveniently located behind the Mall of Abilene, with easy access to Dyess AFB, Abilene Zoo, Hardin Simmons, McMurry and Abilene Christian University. edit
- Hampton Inn, 3917 Ridgemont Dr, ☎ (325) 695-0044. Everything you have come to expect from Hampton Inn in the heart of Abilene's shopping district. Located just west of US 83/84. edit
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 3526 West Lake Road, ☎ (325) 673-4400. Recently constructed just off of I-20 in far north Abilene. Extremely convenient to HSU and ACU, Hendrick Medical Center and the airport. edit
- Hilton Garden Inn, 4449 Ridgemont Dr, ☎ (325) 690-6432. One of Abilene's newest hotels, the HGI is in the heart of Abilene's commercial district. With large rooms, convention space and an indoor pool, it has everything you could ask for. edit
- Holiday Inn Express (North), 1802 E. Overland Trail, ☎ (325) 675-9800. Located just off of I-20. Convenient to Wal*Mart, ACU, HSU, Hendrick Medical Center & Airport. edit
- Holiday Inn Express (South), 3112 South Clack St, ☎ (877) 863-4780. Just off of US 83/84 convenient to Wal*Mart and shopping & dining. edit
- LaQuinta Inn & Suites, 3018 Catclaw Avenue, ☎ (325) 437-4832. Opening 2009. edit
- MCM Elegante Suites, 4250 Ridgemont Dr, ☎ (325) 698-1234. Originally built as an Embassy Suites, MCM Elegante remains Abilene's premiere hotel. Lovely 2-room suites, a full-service restaurant and amble meeting space. Directly across from the Mall of Abilene and very convenient to all major highways and venues. edit
- Residence Inn by Marriot, 1641 Musgrave Blvd, ☎ (325) 677-8700. Located on I-20 in Abilene's newest commercial hotspot, the Residence Inn is barely a year old. Extremely convenient to ACU and HSU as well as the Abilene airport. edit
- Best Western Abilene Inn & Suites, 350 E Overland Trl, Abilene, TX 79601-1630, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. (32.491352,-99.724604) edit
- Best Western Whitten South, 3950 Ridgemont Drive, Abilene TX 79606-2730, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. (32.403774,-99.766086) edit
- Residence Inn Abilene (Extended Stay Hotel in Abilene), 1641 Musgrave Blvd, . This hotel in Abilen, TX is only 4 miles from downtown Abilene and the Abilene Regional Airport. Conveniently access the area's top attractions such as the Abilene Zoo, Abilene Christian University, McMurry University, Mall of Abilene and the Dyess Air Force Base. edit
- Lake Fort Phantom, north of town, is a popular lake for sport fishing.