Humpback whale near icebergs in Greenland.
Aasiaat is a city in Western Greenland.
Aasiaat is a town of about 3,000 people located on the outermost southern part of Disko Bay. The primary industry in Aasiaat is fishing, but the town also serves as the centre for education for most of Northern Greenland. The town has an upper secondary school and a business school for students from all of the northern towns to attend.
There are daily connections to Aasiaat from the international airport in Kangerlussuaq for those who fly in from Copenhagen.
if you fly through Iceland, then Ilulissat will be the nearest hub. Connections to other towns around Disko Bay is by ship in summer & fall and helicopter during wither. Ships that stop in Aasiaat are usually operated on a seasonal basis May to December, so check with Diskoline for regional travel: www.diskoline.gl and Arctic umiaq Line for coastal travel: www.aul.gl
The best way to travel in the city is by foot, it is quite manageable due to the small size and concentration of most tourist attractions.
Humpback whales migrate to Aasiaat, and in the summer many of them are in the sea surrounding Aasiaat. There is also a good chance the tour guide will help you spot some fin whales, which are also common in these waters. Plus, the area has a large population of seals, which are always fun to see.
The Aasiaat Museum was first established in 1978 to house local artifacts. Today permanent exhibitions include artifacts from the local fishing and hunting industries, as well as traditional clothing and crafts from the town.
- Aasiaat Church, Otto Rosingsvej 2, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 20 15. edit
- Aasiaat Museum, Niels Egedesvej 2, P.O. Box 25, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 25 97 ([email protected]), . M-F 13-16, Sun 13-15. The Aasiaat museum opened in 1978, it has a large exhibition of traditional Greenlandic clothing and crafts from the area. edit
- Aasiaat Sports Center, Frederik Lyngesvej 36, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 23 01. edit
Kayaking demonstration in the summer.
Aasiaat Midnight Sun Marathon
This marathon takes place every June in Aasiaat with competitors from all around the world. The marathon concludes with a celebration with dancing and live music, the locals have also been know to join in the festivities.
There are several kayaking tours organized by local tourism agencies in Aasiaat. The archipelago around Aasiaat is the prefect setting for kayaking in Greenland.
Due to the local geography, Aasiaat is the perfect location to sail and get up close and personal with icebergs and possibly even whales. In the summer months, there is a good chance that you will spot some whales in the sea surrounding Aasiaat.
- Aasiaat Tourist Office, Niels Egedesvej 6, P.O. Box 241, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 25 40 ([email protected]), . edit
- Atuagkat Bookstore, H.J. Rinksvej 6, P.O. Box 1009, 3900 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 32 17 37 ([email protected]), . edit
- Aasiaat Seamens Diner (c/o Aasiaat Seamens Home), Sammiarneq 9, P.O. Box 216 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 27 11 ([email protected]), . Relatively cheap diner located in the Seamens Home right near the harbor. DKK50. edit
- Restaurant Nanoq (c/o Hotel Nanoq), Sannerut 7-9, P.O. Box 29, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 53 65 53 ([email protected]), . Lunch: 11:30-13, Dinner: 18-21:30. Serves traditional Greenlandic dishes, reservations are required for dinner. Also has a disco and pub on site that is open later. edit
- Cafe Puisi, Pottersvej 12, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland. edit
- Aasiaat Seamens Hotel, Sammiarneq 9, P.O. Box 216, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 27 11 ([email protected]), . 115 rooms available in town and in the surrounding settlements. Each hotel also has conference and meeting facilities as well as a cafeteria. 910-1260kr.. edit
- Aasiaat Hotel Apartments, P.O. Box 66, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 21 95 ([email protected]), . Rooms, apartments and vacant properties available for rent for short or longer periods of time. Pricing varies by season. From EUR600. edit
- B&B Hotel Nattoralik, Sannerut 7-9, P.O. Box 29, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 21 21 ([email protected]), . All rooms have private bathroom and tv, as well as access to wifi. Located centrally in town. Extra beds and breakfast packages are available on request. Single: Eur 850, Double Eur 1150. edit
- Aasiaat Guesthouse, Frederik Lynges Vej 16 B168, P.O. Box 42, 3950 Aasiaat, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 89 22 33 ([email protected]). edit