Île à Vache is in Southern Haiti. It is greener and more beautiful than your typical Haitian landscape, more like a classic Caribbean island. It played a pivotal role in the Golden Age of Piracy.
In Les Cayes, make your way to the wharf (called something similar to 'wharf' in Kreyòl), and catch a boat (called a 'navet'). Protip: don't don't sit on the first row or two of the boat because you'll get splashed. There are boats to Kay Kòk a few times a day and boats to other parts of Île à Vache.
Getting the boat is a two-step process: one set of guys bring you to the navet via piggyback and ferry. Pay these guys 5 or 10 goud; don't get ripped off. Then the navet itself costs 100 goud.
Motos (motorcycle taxis) are really the only way to do it. I think 125gds per person from Kay Kòk to Madanm Bernard is a good rate, but maybe you can get it a bit cheaper.
Abaka Bay beach was ranked the 57th most beautiful beach in the world by CNN
There's a littler island called Île des Amoureux (Lover's Island) you can visit.
Bring snorkel gear.
Swimming off Madanm Bernard is not recommended because of mud and pollution. Swimming off Kay Kòk is lovely.
- Bar Ruth, 100 metres along path from Port Morgan hotel, ☎ 37783025 ([email protected]). 500 HTG per person for lobster with bananes pesées, rice, pikliz and legumes. You can't miss out on lobster, lambi or fish when in Ile à Vache. Head to Ruth's bar by Port Morgan and ask her for grilled or en sauce seafood. And try her rhum arrangé!. edit
- Abaka Bay, Ilavach, Ayiti (Rt Natl. #2), . The Best of the Best place in Haiti. It is the unexpected paradise the oasis. (18.5'37.80N,73.42'5.79W) edit
- Bungalowslaplage, Kay Kòk, Ance Dufour, Ilavach, Ayiti (Ask for Ance Dufour Beach, or get a local guide, it's about 15 minutes walk away from Kay Kòk, right beside Abaka Bay.), ([email protected]), . $50 a night per room. The room has one double bed, and a battery system with two light bulbs to provide light at night and enable you to charge phones and tablets. Toilet and shower included in the room. Juana Tannis, the owners sister, will cook great meals for you if you wish. You can rent two rooms, the whole building, and have a fun family time together.. edit.
- Kay Ruth, Near Port Morgan hotel, ☎ 37783025 ([email protected]). 1000HTG per person. edit
For a much cheaper and authentic option in Ile à Vache, stay at Ruth's house, on a hill above Kay Coq! She will also cook you fresh lobster in her bar / restaurant by the sea. (Say in the email that the message is for Ruth)
- Port Morgan, Kay Kòk, Ilavach, Ayiti, . Just perfect see Didier and or Rose L. (19,6'12.57N,73,41'30.14W) edit You can also hang out here to grab wifi.
- Villem's house, Kay Kòk, Ilavach, Ayiti (When you get off the boat at Kay Kòk, turn left (towards Port Morgan hotel) and it's about two minutes walk away, on your right hand side), ☎ 31054250 ([email protected]). edit. Villem has spots where you can pitch your tent. Ask to see his pirate cannonball and collection of Taíno tools. He speaks broken English.
- Vildor's house, Kay Kòk, Ilavach, Ayiti ("When), ☎ 37206411. edit. The price is very negotiable, around $30 a night per person. The room has one double bed, and some LEDs to provide light at night. Vildor's wife will cook you a huge plate of food for dinner, and breakfast too. (Protip: the default way of making coffee is with a huge amount of sugar, so you might want to request him to make it without sugar.)