Structure and licenses
I would propose the following structure:
- Geographical section - Geographical hierarcy.
- Wikitravel section - for images used in templates(license-tags, stub-tags) and other non-article related images.
Also, I note that on en: image licenses are not very strict. On sv: we have every image tagged with a Creative Commons, public domain template, etc. Like This and This. How are we gonna do here? --Adestro 16:30, 9 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Actually, they've been _more_ strict on Wikitravel -- we only allow images that are cc-by-sa 1.0. If they have other licenses, fine, but everything has to be at least cc-by-sa 1.0 (or public domain). The point being that anyone who wants to publish Wikitravel only needs to worry about the "main" license; they can mess with the other licenses if they want, but they don't have to. --Evan 16:46, 9 Jan 2006 (EST)
May I suggest that this excellent share idea gets some fort of nice name...rather than "Wikitravel shared repository"? Like....hmm..."Wikitravel Commons"? I haven't got a clue where I got that from... ;-) Riggwelter 09:29, 11 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Do you find "Commons" to be a more lively name than "Shared"? I don't. More importantly, I want to avoid blurring the line between Wikitravel's shared repository and Wikimedia's. That said, if you have a suggestion for a name that's not "Commons", I'm totally open. --220.127.116.11 15:45, 16 Jan 2006 (EST)
- No, but I find any name better than "Wikitravel shared repository". Wikitravel Central, maybe? Riggwelter 16:59, 29 Jan 2006 (EST)
- But it's not really "Central" in the sense that this is some central decision-making point of something. I'm fine with Shared. Jpatokal 08:53, 31 Jan 2006 (EST)
- True. But I did not mean "Central" from a decision-making pov, and I do not really understand how it can be interpreted as such? My interpretation of "Central" is that it would be a central point where information/resources/media may be found if the user so wishes. Again though - "Central" may not be the best name, but "Shared" sounds a bit "off". "Bank" is another suggestion, which may be a bit more lively - and no, it has nothing to do with money. Riggwelter 06:35, 2 Feb 2006 (EST)
I have made a couple of adjustments. Feel free to rv if they do not comply with the guidelines. Riggwelter 04:14, 13 Jan 2006 (EST)
Anyone understand how to link to "Wikitravel:Requests_for_images" article? For some reason it's not working. I believe this has to do with /shared/ 18.104.22.168 02:19, 23 Jan 2006 (EST)
- You need to interwiki-link it, so [[:en:Wikitravel:Requests for images]] does the trick. (Fixed already.) Jpatokal 09:00, 24 Jan 2006 (EST)
I lacked an eye-catcher for the new user. So, I created one...the link takes the would-be user to the Wikitravel Shared:Help page. I think the eye-catcher should be centered, but I did not manage to fix it. Anyone? Riggwelter 18:41, 3 March 2006 (EST)
- I find it rather disturbing. Let's make a regular link somewhere. /Adestro 06:11, 4 March 2006 (EST)
It may be seen as "disturbing", yes. This was my intention when I put it there. However, I should, of course, have been a bit more extensive about the reason why. I am very concerned about the way new users "see" our project, whether it is Shared or any language WT. When they arrive at the main page, they get a sh*tload of information about the project, what it is for, who's behind it, destinations, etc, etc etc....but only diminutive links to the login page or the help functions, i e functions that describes how I start and where I find suitable meta/user information. So, I have to ask myself: when I come to a new page of this kind, what do I need? I need that information. I put a bright yellow link on the first page as the start of a discussion on how to improve our pages in such a way that new users quickly find basic info. So, instead of just removing it for no obvious reason - let us discuss it here first and work out a consensus. I am happy to go with the decision of the majority, but not without a discussion. Riggwelter 16:00, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- One problem is that the Help page it links to is, IMHO, worse than useless -- it's all just red links now. I think people coming into Wikitravel Shared are not going to be clueless newbies, but people who've already used Wikitravel while, so what we need to educate them about is how to create an account, how to upload and how to set the tags. Jpatokal 21:18, 5 March 2006 (EST)
- I agree with you that the linked page as of now is rather useless, which of course reduces the importance of a screaming yellow bar splashed all over the main page. However, as it says, also on the main page, this page is still under construction. In other words - the today "all red link page" can and needs to be swiftly improved. I also agree with you about the users we may expect - but what do we do with the proper newbies? Aren't we supposed to make the site easily accessible and comprehensible for them in the first place, rather than experienced users like us? I believe we do. One always has to focus on the new user in the first place, because the experienced users know their way around it anyway. Hence, experienced users are not a problem. New users are, and it is all about our credibility as a source of reliable information and how to get it. Riggwelter 02:16, 6 March 2006 (EST)
- I think just adding “Please click here to begin.” sentence to the top column is enough. Well, before discussing the yellow bar, I think we should confirm one thing in advance. Has Wikitravel Shared already been noticed to the wikitravelers at every language edition?Shoestring 09:29, 6 March 2006 (EST)
- Hm, perhaps you are right there, Shoestring. I take it you refer to the navigation sidebar? Yes, that would probably be a nice solution...plus, the yellow bar would not need to be where it is, and would not stick out the way it does now. I do not know about Wikitravel Shared for the various WT's, though. We have put up some links to it on sv:, i.e. in single articles, but we haven't done anything drastical to promote it. We should probably consdier it, now that we must say that Shared is up and running :-). Riggwelter 09:19, 7 March 2006 (EST)
How often is the "Image of the Moment" or whatever its called changed? Seems to me the very beautiful image of the cherry blossoms has been up for quite a while? Sapphire 21:27, 17 May 2006 (EDT)
- Having had a look at the Pictures of the Moment description page it said that there is no real preset time or so for the pic (like a month). So I included one of my pics. Hope this is okay with everybody. Cheers, Felix 18/May/2006, 14:40 GMT
Intro needs tweaking
I think we should change Shared main page's introductory paragraph to reflect the fact that Shared is now Wikitravel's clearing house for global policies such as technical issues and multilingual coordination too. Does anybody want to give it a try?
I was also wondering if we could have at least that intro translated into Wikitravel's several languages, so that non-English speakers know at least what Shared is about when they drop by. What do you think? --Ricardo (Rmx) 16:54, 6 August 2006 (EDT)
- Yeah, that's a very good idea. What about having different versions of the whole main page, with links to other lingos on top?
Guys, would it be possible to link different photos for a city so that every time a person refreshes they can see a different picture of the city? I think that this would be a great addition to the photo part of wikitravel! --[[User:Cupcakecommander] 28 December 2006
I think it would be great if we had the number of available photos beside each location. Just spent a bunch of time clicking places to find out there were no pictures. Thanks.
Uh, can we get rid of the "click here" link and "under construction" comment on the Main Page? They're kinda 1995-ish navigation... How about
"Welcome to Wikitravel Shared. New users should check out the help section. Everyone is invited to the ongoing discussion about the site in the Traveller's Pub"
with the Welcome linked to the welcome message, help to help, and pub to pub? Maj 09:44, 9 May 2007 (EDT)
Alright, I made a first attempt at a redesign for the main page... it's in desperate need of one. I'm admittedly not the best at this, so anyone who can clean it up and improve it, be my guest!
I ditched the POTM template only out of not knowing how to incorporate it, but it would be nice to fix it so it can be used in a new layout. Go to town, peoples – cacahuate talk 01:08, 22 June 2008 (EDT)
- How about centering the "are you new, click here" line at the top? I couldn't figure out how to do just that line and not the whole box – cacahuate talk 01:42, 22 June 2008 (EDT)
- Looks good! It's pretty HTML 1.0, but would <center> around the line work? (My laptop screen's too small to test it though...) Jpatokal 06:51, 22 June 2008 (EDT)
думаю, що назва повинна бути - не "Головна стаття"
а просто "Головна"
Link to Wikitravel
I noticed that there is no direct link on the side bar to the Wikitravel main page. I think it would be convenient to have it there, so people can upload and easily go to the Wikitravel page they want to place the photo. ChubbyWimbus 18:33, 23 June 2009 (EDT)
- What do you mean? Under in other languages there is a link to all languages including en: to their Main pages. By the way: There is a bot adding links from the category's on Shared to the corresponding destination pages on the language versions. So if you put in the location, go from category to the destination page you want, so you can edit it. --Rein N. 21:21, 23 June 2009 (EDT)
- On the main page, look at the left sidebar, under the toolbox — "in other languages". That's a list of links to the main pages of the various language versions of Wikitravel. Gorilla Jones 21:53, 23 June 2009 (EDT)
- It looks like the same discussion as Wikitravel Shared:Travellers' pub/Pub cellar Feb 11, 2009#Feature request. So I'd like to suggest again to do the same way of Wikitravel Extra. -- Tatata 22:14, 23 June 2009 (EDT)
Why don't we use vector graphics in flags? EJavanainen 05:54, 8 September 2010 (EDT)
- Somebody will have to update Template:Language-mp to get it the Portuguese page included, I think. --Rein N. 09:51, 30 November 2010 (EST)
Hill of Crosses (Kryžių Kalnas), Lithuania (Current featured picture of the moment)
- I'm not sure what your point is? The images on Wikitravel Shared should all be used in travel articles. That's the reason that Wikitravel Shared exists. ChubbyWimbus 10:08, 6 May 2011 (EDT)