See also en:Wikitravel talk:Hebrew Wikitravel Expedition
- guys what's happening? why nobody do something about starting this project up? it's been already 4 years since the idea came up. Orel zion 11:17, 24 May 2007 (EDT)
- Volunteer to be the go-between and send User:Evan a note. Jpatokal 07:44, 25 May 2007 (EDT)
Ready to launch
Orel, if you're willing to do this job, it'd be great. I'll get the new version of Wikitravel started immediately. Once it's working, here are the things you'll need to do:
- Contact all the members of this expedition to let them know we're starting.
- Create a user account on the new he: version, and tell me what it is (so I can make you an administrator).
- Organize the members of the expedition to get the new version off the ground.
- Let people know about the new site (blogs, other he: wikis).
- Make a report about once a month about the progress of the site.
I'll let you know when the site is working. --Evan 11:04, 28 May 2007 (EDT)
- I'm a lot more than happy, and I'll look forward to the oficial opening. Thanks a lot. Orel zion 12:15, 28 May 2007 (EDT)
- OK, great! So, http://wikitravel.org/he/ works, let me know when you've set up a user account and I'll make you an admin. It looks like the translation has been really good, but you may want to check he:Special:Allmessages for translation issues. --Evan 13:23, 28 May 2007 (EDT)
- O.K. I did it. My user name אוראל. I will contact with a guy I know in the Hebrew Wikipedia to make us a logo, is it O.K.? Orel zion 02:24, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Sounds fine to me. It'd be nice if it was just a variation on the Wikitravel logo used elsewhere. There's an SVG version available for making variations at en:Image:Treatment.svg. I should check and see if any of the other Wikitravel versions that use non-Latin scripts want to change their logo.
- Speaking of which: do you want to use a translated version of the name "Wikitravel"? If so, we should do it now rather than later. --Evan 10:01, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Actualy yes, I wpuld loike to call it ויקיטיול=wikitiul it's the translation of wikitravel in Hebrew. and one more think, I want to know how this thing works, the template messages and all this staff. Thanks Orel zion 10:13, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- Every other language version to date has used literal translations of "Wikitravel" -- is there a reason to change this? Jpatokal 03:37, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
- This what I meant, ויקיטיול is the literal translation of "Wikitravel" Orel zion 04:51, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
- Sorry, wrong word: I meant that every other version just uses "Wikitravel", no translation at all. Jpatokal 21:40, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, that's not true. We changed the name in Hindi to... uh... विकिट्रैवल, I think. I'm not sure if that's a translation or just a transliteration into Devanagari. I think it makes a lot of sense to transliterate the name (don't we do that with ja:, too?), since switching between char sets is almost always a hassle. I could see an argument for translating the name, especially if "travel" is hard to say or isn't evocative in the target language. --22.214.171.124 14:35, 31 May 2007 (EDT)
- That's transcription, not translation. It's called Uikitoraberu in Japanese and (if my pathetic Devanagari is right) the Hindi one also seems to say something along the lines of Vikitravala. This keeps the "brand" universal and avoids confusing with the Wikivoyage fork, so I'd recommend doing the same for Hebrew. Jpatokal 23:16, 31 May 2007 (EDT)
- Yeah, विकिट्रैवल is a transliteration, it says vikitravel, no "w" in Devanagari script – cacahuate talk 00:33, 1 June 2007 (EDT)
- O.K, it's orel. so what's happening? Do you mind to change to ויקיטיול?
One more thing, we don't have the special symbols like this | in our editing page. Orel zion 12:56, 29 May 2007 (EDT)
- You can edit the special page MediaWiki:Edittools to add those. Copy the example on the English version. Jpatokal 03:37, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
- As someone intending to start contributing the the Hebrew WikiTravel, I'd like to support Orel's suggestion of naming the Hebrew version ויקיטיול (read: WikiTiyul). As Jpatokal has said, it is a hassle to keep switching charsets, especially when linking to the WikiTravel: namespace. Also, it's not clear how to write WikiTravel in Hebrew, and WikiTiyul not only means the same, it also sounds similar, with both the T and L sounds. In any case, we need to decide on this soon, before there are too many links to WikiTravel: namespace articles. Zvika 07:14, 12 June 2007 (EDT)
- Well, if you think that Wikitiyul is the best Hebrew name for the site itself, then go ahead. Jpatokal 08:01, 12 June 2007 (EDT)
- Orel has already done this. Our problem is that the Wikitravel: namespace is still called Wikitravel:, and to change it to ויקיטיול: we need a bureaucrat. Evan, could you help us out? --Zvika 11:55, 12 June 2007 (EDT)
- OK, so, I've made the change. I've had terrible times working with RTL languages in the Wikitravel config files, but I think this turned out OK. Let me know if there's something that needs to be changed. By the way, I have no idea what happens to Wikitravel: articles when we change the site name; let me know if you have problems finding them or moving them. --Evan 20:28, 12 June 2007 (EDT)