The Chinese Wikitravel Expedition has been launched! See 維基旅行中文版.
The Chinese Wikitravel Expedition 維基旅行中文版計劃 is an expedition to create a Chinese language version of Wikitravel. For more information on multilingual Wikitravel policy, please see the Language version policy.
We just need to start little by little, I guess. To add new sections or subsections, use double "==" or "===". It's easy.
Chinese is the official language of en:China, en:Hong Kong, en:Macau, and en:Taiwan, and is one of the four official languages of en:Singapore. About one fifth of the people in the world speak some form of Chinese as their native language, which means that a Chinese version of Wikitravel would serve a wide audience. In addition, many Chinese speaking parts of Asia are major travel destinations. Having locals update information in their native tongue (which could then be translated to other languages) would make for better information in all the Wikitravel guides.
This Expedition has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Chinese speaking users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep users on the English language site up to date on developments on Chinese Wikitravel, and vice versa.
- To translate the interface files for Wikitravel into Chinese.
- To launch the new Chinese language Wikitravel.
- To translate the pages and create the infrastructure necessary to make Chinese Wikitravel useful and friendly for new Chinese speaking contributors.
- To make Chinese Wikitravel an integrated part of the Wikitravel family.
The Language version policy lists the steps necessary to get a Chinese language Wikitravel in place. There are only two steps left:
- Somebody (you?) needs to step forward as go-between. This is not a hard job: the main requirement is that you can speak English and Chinese, so the admins can communicate with the team.
- Somebody (you?) needs to confirm that the #Language interface files (below) looks OK. (It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough.)
Can you help?
When can we start this chinese version? Yvonnepang 12:01, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
- We need one person to step forward and volunteer to act as Liaison with the rest of the Wikitravel community. They should also be ready to contact all these people who have signed up and get them started. Once someone takes that responsibility, I can get zh: working in about half a day. --Evan 15:07, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
- That's mean no one step out yet. I'm not confident enough to take up this responsibility. Hope someone will show up soon. Yvonnepang 02:42, 16 March 2007 (EDT)
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 3 Chinese speaking users willing to help start the Chinese Wikitravel. This means helping to translate the interface files, create content on the new Wikitravel, and to create the necessary infrastructure to make Wikitravel welcoming and useful for the next wave of contributors.
If you're interested, please create a user account on this (English) Wikitravel, and sign the list below. To sign, edit this page and just type ~ 4 times, like "~~~~".
- Liujg 07:14, 3 Nov 2005 (EST)
- Moonwater 02:54, 11 Nov 2005 (EST)
- Mingwangx 09:36, 29 Nov 2005 (EST)
- Mei 09:52, 30 Nov 2005 (EST)
- 吉恩 02:47, 20 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Jeremy886 08:26, 1 April 2006 (EST)
- Fujiaxi 07:24, 21 April 2006 (EDT)
- Gogopig 02:50, 26 April 2006
- Terence Ong 10:24, 11 October 2006 (EDT)
- Cough 17:52, 27 November 2006 (EST)
- CN-Jeep 09:34, 2 January 2007 (EST)
- Mikepanhu 16:05, 10 February 2007 (EST)
- Yvonnepang 06:08, 14 March 2007 (EDT)
- Alexlee 11:39, 7 June 2007 (EDT)
- Caiguanhao 08:14, 5 July 2007 (EDT)
- Tanner 08:49, 1 August 2007 (EDT)
- Jonbaron 12:20, 20 February 2007 (EST)I'd love to help with any Chinese-English translationJonbaron 12:20, 20 February 2007 (EST)
- Cary 01:41, 2 August 2007 (EDT)
- Rex 2618 06:46, 22 August 2007 (CHN)
- Oobe 12:43, 30 September 2007 (EDT)
- Jeongyong 03:47, 19 October 2007 (EDT)JeongYong
- Magni 11:55, 30 November 2007 (EST)
- 晴朗 16:05, 9 January 2008 (EST)
More than 3 users are welcome to sign up, but we need at least 3 to get started.
Votes for moonwater Gogopig 03:39, 26 April 2006 (EDT)
Notsail 23:12, 21 September 2006 (EDT)
I nominate User:Mikepanhu as go-between. Jpatokal 00:24, 11 February 2007 (EST)
184.108.40.206 03:45, 17 September 2007 (EDT)
220.127.116.11 01:37, 8 January 2008 (EST)
Language interface file
MediaWiki, the software that runs Wikitravel, uses a language interface file to make the links and names and prompts and stuff readable in other languages. We need to customize a new version to work for Chinese Wikitravel.
We can collaboratively do this at en:Wikitravel:LanguageZh.php. It's started off with the Wikipedia language file, and we can use the English en:Wikitravel:Language.php file as a reference for things that need to be changed. It's mostly just changing the name of the site (Wikipedia 維基百科 -> Wikitravel 維基旅行), the name of the license (GFDL -> CC-by-sa), and the names of some important pages.
- Chinese name: 維基旅行？
- Seems nice, obvious and clear, unless somebody can come up with a good pun for "-travel". (Japanese just uses a phonetic uikitoraberu.) Jpatokal 02:33, 11 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Just realized that 维基旅游 has also been suggested. Opinions? Jpatokal 02:36, 11 Jan 2006 (EST)
- In Tranditional Chinese it should be 旅遊, but in Simplified Chinese it's 旅游, so I guess 维基旅游(遊) may cause some problems. For instances, 遊 and 游 in the logo image is obviously different, but 维 and 維 is just not that obvious. I think 維基旅行 is better.--Mikepanhu 16:17, 10 February 2007 (EST)
- Good point. Let's go with 維基旅行 then. Jpatokal 00:24, 11 February 2007 (EST)
- Traditional and simplified Chinese converter 正（繁）簡轉換
- I was trying to change 新絲書店 to 新絲路書店 in Wikitravel:LanguageZh_tw.php, but the system didn't allow me to save. It said The page you wanted to save was blocked by the spam filter. This is probably caused by a link to an external site., but there were no link to an external site in the php. file at all. And even I tried to remove the whole BookstoreList section and any website address contained, it still couldn't be saved. Do I need any special authority to edit LanguageZh_tw.php? --Mikepanhu 08:47, 11 February 2007 (EST)
- No, the spam filter was just a little too enthusiastic. Should be fixed now, please try again. Jpatokal 12:34, 11 February 2007 (EST)