Yarkand (莎车; Shāchē) is a city in Xinjiang Province in China. It is most useful as a stop to break up the long bus ride from Kashgar to Hotan. The tomb complex here is worth checking out if you're in town.
Yarkand is on the Southern Silk Road and can by reached by bus from Kashgar or Khotan.
It is 200 kms from Kashgar. Usually it takes 3 hours drive.
- Bus from Kashgar takes 4 hours.
- Bus from Hotan takes 6 hours.
- Daytime train now runs from Kashgar to Hotan and stops in Yarkand at least once daily.
- Tomb of Amanisahan. Amanisahan was a poetess of the Uyghur Muqam. Her mausoleum is surrounded by a beautiful cemetary complex, including the tomb of the former sultan of Yarkent. Most are beautifully decorated with Arabic inscriptions.
- Golden Graveyard. This graveyard dates from the 17th Century and is the buriel place of Royal family members of the Yarkand Uyghur Kingdom.It is known to Local people as “Golden Graveyard” as a sign of respect to the Yarkand Kingdom.
- Local Markets. Tour the local markets where you will find loads of products being produced in shope and local goods on sale
- Two or More Days Taklamakan Desert Camel trekking in Yarkend, (250 Km south of Kashgar). Yarkend. Yarkend is also another Uyghur cultural city which is located western edge of Taklamakan desert ,karasu is small desert village in Yarkend where you can start your camel ride trek into the desert ,Yarkend Karasu village is 250KM south from Kashgar
- Old Town. One of the most authentic old towns seen in southern XinJiang. Less modernized than Kashgar's and more centralized than Hotan's.
There are two main options for an (alcoholic) drink. One is the 'time machine' KTV bar across from the New Century hotel where a small KTV room sets you back 288RMB with 4 drinks of your choice included, you can stay there till 3am for this price if you wish. The Armani bar is the other option, most taxi drivers will know it. It has a school disco vibe full of fairy lights and lasers and with heavy hip hop, American and Russian, on rotation and a mixed Han and Uighur clientele. A Snow or WuSu beer will set you back 10 RMB. It is highly advised not to get drunk and be on the street. If you are tipsy getting a taxi is safest even if you are staying nearby at New Century or ShaChe hotel. Taxi rides should be 5 RMB.
- Shache Hotel. Everyone you ask will route you to this hotel, where they are not particularly nice. Nov. 26, 2012: The hotel was full when I checked but obviously they are asking 360 RMB for the double. The lobby is quite impressive but I did not see the rooms. Asking price for foreigners is around ¥220 but the rate for locals is ¥160 or less so you should press hard as there are no other options.
- New Century Hotel (新世纪宾馆), 新疆莎车新城路44号, ☎ +86 (998） 8514758. A budget hotel that takes foreigners. Rooms and basic but livable 80 CNY.
- Subiyi Aletun Hotel, Corner of Aletun and Laocheng Roads, ☎ +86 (998) 8512222. Clean, modern, some electrical issues but not a bad place to stay. Location is convenient, right next to the Old Town and the Mosque complex (basically all of Yarkand's sights). Nov. 26, 2012: I was told by the police that this hotel cannot accept foreigners any longer - I am not 100% sure that this is true but when I checked, they also said that they were full. ¥100/dbl.