Wilton is a beautiful rural residential town in Fairfield County in the state of Connecticut.
The first written record of Wilton dates back to 1640. During The Civil War, Wilton was one of the stops for the Underground Railroad. Wilton has transformed itself from a small farming town to a suburban residential community. The total population is about 18,000. In 2007, CNN Money voted Wilton one of the best places to live in the United States. Wilton is located in Connecticut's Gold Coast, it is one of the most affluent communities in the U.S. Wilton is desirable for its proximity to New York City. Wilton residents often travel to New York City for business purposes, as well as the surrounding cities of Norwalk, C.T. and Stamford, C.T.
From the SOUTH: Take I-95 N toward New Haven, take Exit 15 toward Norwalk/Danbury
From the NORTH: Take I-95 S, take Exit CT 15/Merritt and W. Cross PKWY
Greyhound has frequent bus routes and stops that go through Wilton
Metro North Railroad Amtrak (MTA) trains run through Wilton's town center
JFK Airport is located 55 miles south of Wilton
La Guardia Airport is located 45 miles south of Wilton
- Weir Farm National Historic Site, 735 Nod Hill Road, Phone: 203-834-1896, . Grounds open all year. Visitor Center: May through October W-Su 8:30 AM-5PM. November through April Th-Su from 9:30AM-4PM. Rotating art and history exhibits, beautiful ground that have inspired many artists. Weir farm was home to painter Julian Alden Weir, sculptor Mahonri Young, and painter Sperry Andrews. Ranger-led tours. Free.
- The Heritage Museum, 224 Danbury Road, Phone: 203-762-7257, http://www.wiltonhistorical.org/pages/museum.htm. The museum is open Tuesday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. This Heritage Museum provides a glimpse of changes in rural New England.
- Merwin Meadows, 180 School Road. Merwin Meadows includes a pond, beautiful soccer fields and a playground. It is a great place to take children in the summer time. The Wilton Parks and Recreation holds a camp for school children at Merwin Meadows, during the summer months.
- Quary Head Park, between 760 and 764 Ridgefield Road. Scenic trails for hiking and horseback riding.
- Allen's Meadow, 425 Danbury Road. Running trails and soccer fields
- Winged Monkey 5 River Road, 203-221-0123, small boutique, displays the latest fashion trends.
- Witchy Poo 24 Center Street, 203-563-9660, quaint store, great prices.
- Gap 21 River Road, 203-762-2740, located in the heart of Wilton center, clothes for men, women and children
- Outdoor Sports Center 80 Danbury Road, 203-762-8324, the place to stock up on winter sports gear, the employees are knowledgeable and trustworthy.
- Wilton Pizza and Pasta, 202 Town Green. Features jazz music, great pizza and atmosphere.
- Orem's Diner 167 Danbury Road, 203-762-7370, great family place, fabulous dinner food.
- Tom E Toes 5 River Road, 203-834-0733, great location, Try the BBQ chicken pizza.
- Luca 142 Old Ridgefield Road, 203-563-9550, Zagat Rated, NY Times best restaurant in Fairfield County.
- Olde School House Grill 34 Cannon Road, 203- 834-9816, great food, great for brunch.
- Mediterranean Grill Restaurant 5 River Road, 203-762-8484, Spanish, Italian and Moroccan influences.
- Portofino Restaurant 12 Center Street, 203-761-9115, family restaurant, reasonable priced.
- Hunan Cafe 228 Town Green Center, 203-761-8998, great Chinese food, fabulous lunch prices.
- Pinocchio Pizza 1 Center Street, 203-762-3700, great Italian style food, fast service.
- Soup Alley 239 Danbury Road, 203-761-9885, best soup, great lunch destination.
- Village Luncheonette and Pizza 88 Old Ridgefield Road, 203-762-5883, great for kids, great waitstaff.
- Marly's 101 Old Ridgefield road, 203-834-2000, comfortable atmosphere, great steak.
Wilton is a small town which was considered a "dry" town until 1993. Today, Wilton is considered "damp", which means that there are not any true bars or clubs located within the town.
- Georgetown Saloon 8 Main Street, 203-554-8003, great entertainment, different bands featured throughout the month, also one of the only places to go out in the Wilton area.
- Sky Bar and Grille 239 Danbury Road, 203-761-7700, perfect atmosphere, as well as great dining.
- Tavern on Seven 611 Main Ave, 203-642-3791, although not directly located in Wilton, it is just a few minutes over the border, great party place, popular place for the locals.
- Starbucks 21 River Road, 203-761-0408, casual place to socialize and study, it is located in the heart of Wilton's center, perfect spot to relax.
- Dunkin Donuts 35 Danbury Road, 203-761-8663, conveniently located off the I-95 Exit, great place to stop before work for a cup of coffee.
Since Wilton is so small, it does not have any hotels or inns located within the town, but the neighboring town of Norwalk has several options.
Courtyard Norwalk (203)849-9111, 474 Main Avenue
Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk (203)523-4000, 560 Main Avenue
Silvermine Tavern (203)847-4558, 194 Perry Avenue
Four Point Sheraton Norwalk (203)849-9828, 426 Main Avenue