Wikitravel talk:Romanian Wikitravel Expedition
I think we should have multilingual versions of Wikitravel, just like we have Wikipedia in many languages. For example, there could be Romanian version, as there are many Romanian contributors who would make a very worthwhile travel guide.
- I can actually set this up fairly easily, if there's enough interest in doing it. -- Evan 09:57, 3 Oct 2003 (PDT)
- It would be great to have a Romanian version - I spoke with the Wikipedians at the Romanian Wikipedia (by far the fastest growing Wikipedia) and they would of course set up the Wikitravel in Romania and contribute to get it starting - as you can see, the has already been good contribution to the Romania-related articles (Romania and Oradea), and we are planning to create both a full Romania travel guide in Wikitravel, and a world travel guide in Romanian. -- Ronline 12:08, 9 Oct 2003 (AEST)
I am planning to start a version of Wikitravel in Romanian. How would that be? Can anyone tell me how it is possible? Is it the same as starting a foreign language version in Wikipedia?
Ronline, 23 Oct 2003
- It'd be our first foreign-language version of Wikitravel, so we're starting from scratch. I think we can host it on the www.wikitravel.org server as ro.wikitravel.org, if that sounds OK. I think the big thing is setting up the language prompts. Give me a couple of days to get back to MTL, and then I can see about setting this up, OK? -- Evan 03:18, 23 Oct 2003 (PDT)
- Yeah, time isn't such a big deal here as long as we get the version done. Also, ro.wikitravel.org would be great. Of course, we'd have enough content to put on it after it gets set up. Ronline, 24 Oct 2003
- Concerning the Romanian version, what do you mean by setting up the language prompts (is this translating the interface in RO, or integrating the RO version by setting up automatic inter-language links like in Wikipedia)? Other than that, I'm ready for any translation/article creation necessary! - Ronline, 1 Nov 2003
- Yes, the "language prompts" is translating the interface -- all the little bits of text like "Save page" and "My watchlist" and things like that. I've copied the English version of the language prompts page here: http://ro.wikitravel.org/Language.php.txt You might want to download that, and look it over.
- Mostly it consists of lines like:
- "whatlinkshere" => "What links here",
- What you need to do is change these to:
- "whatlinkshere" => "However you say 'what links here' in Romanian",
- Try to only change the stuff that's inside the quotation marks on the right hand side. Also, don't worry about the long list of language names at the beginning, or the default settings, at the beginning, or any of the hoohaw at the end after "class Language".
- I still need to figure out how to set up a different database, and how to point ro.wikitravel.org at that instead of the English one. So that's gonna take me a couple of days. In other words, no hurry on the translation -- it doesn't have to be done yesterday. -- Evan 09:21, 1 Nov 2003 (PST)
- I have translated most of the perl script (most of it was just copy-paste from the Romanian Wikipedia translation).
- I have automatically changed all the /private*/ lines from En to Ro, like this:
- /* private */ $wgLanguageNamesRo = array(
- Before it was:
- /* private */ $wgLanguageNamesEn = array(
- Is this right? Also, in the code below the classLanguage text, should I change all the 'En' extensions to 'Ro':
- function getValidSpecialPages()
- global $wgValidSpecialPagesEn;
- return $wgValidSpecialPagesEn;
- function getSysopSpecialPages()
- global $wgSysopSpecialPagesEn;
- return $wgSysopSpecialPagesEn;
- function getDeveloperSpecialPages()
- global $wgDeveloperSpecialPagesEn;
- return $wgDeveloperSpecialPagesEn;
- For example, the text above, where it says $wgSysopSpecialPagesEn;, should that be SpecialPagesRo?
- Ronline, 2 Nov 2003
- How do we distinguish a link to the Romanian Wikitravel from one to the Romanian Wikipedia? -phma 14:49, 10 Dec 2003 (PST)
- I'm racking my brains for a good reason to have a link from English Wikitravel to Romanian Wikipedia, or vice versa. On the Romanian Wikitravel, we'll have syntax for a link to Romanian Wikipedia (probably similar to the one from English Wikitravel to English Wikipedia). The Romanian version is languishing right now -- I need to get on it soon. --Evan 16:43, 10 Dec 2003 (PST)
OK, translation finished. How do I send it to you? Ronline, 9 Nov 2003
- Just email it to email@example.com.
- So, here's the scoop on the Romanian Wikitravel: Wikitravel is hosted on my and Maj's private server, which strangely sits on a shelf next to a friend's refridgerator in San Francisco/Bernal Heights. We are going to start bumping into some bandwidth limitations any day now. The server is strong, spacious, and mighty, but the uplink isn't.
- The upshot being that we're looking into moving the site to a Web-hosting service, where serious folks can make sure everything gets backed up regularly and that the requests come through. This is probably going to take about a week for us to do. I don't think I want to start ro.wikitravel.org until we're moved to the new host.
- Does that sound reasonable? -- Evan 16:44, 10 Nov 2003 (PST)
- Sure it's reasonable. Just tell me when the server is updated. Until then, I'll send you the translation anyway just to have there, but a delay of 1 week or so is, of course, OK. -- Ronline, 11 Nov 2003
OK - I've sent you the translation of the script. When the server is updated (the hosting is changed), tell me and then the Romanian Wikitravel can be launched. I've got quite a few articles prepared already ;-) Ronline, 16 Nov 2003
Did you get the interface translation script I sent you via e-mail? By the way, my e-mail doesn't work in the meantime (I seem to not receive any messages due to a problem with the Junk Mail Filter), so when you receive the script, it is best to comment on it here. -- Ronline, 22 Nov 2003
What's happening with the launch of the Romanian Wikipedia - I sent you the localization script - now what's happening? There will soon be Romanian versions of Wikibooks, Wikiquote and Wiktionary, so we need the RO-Wikitravel!! -- Ronline, 16 Dec 2003
Moving the goalposts
So, I think I've worked out the technical problems with doing the Romanian and other versions. I've started a page on our Wikitravel:Language version policy. If folks could take a look, see if it seems OK, and then get started on the Wikitravel:Romanian Wikitravel Expedition, it'd be great.
Yes, I realize that this is moving the goalposts, and it's probably not fair. --Evan 12:45, 19 Dec 2003 (PST)
- Yes, you've really moved the goalposts this time! I don't know why you're afraid of the multilingual Wikitravels (in terms of the projects straying away and not having good content), but anyway, I like the idea of a Romanian Wikitravel Expedition. In fact, I've made a page on it, with rationale, goals, etc. We'll try to get 5 willing users as soon as possible. Concerning the translated interface, could you post that on Wikitravel on an address such as LanguageRo.php, similar to the Wikipedia locales. Thanks, Ronline 04:24, 20 Dec 2003 (PST)
I'm very excited about how things are going here. --Evan 00:24, 23 Dec 2003 (PST)
- So am I! The reaction to ro wikitravel has been excellent and we're nearly ready to go Ronline 01:34, 23 Dec 2003 (PST)