Wikitravel talk:Romanian Wikitravel Expedition
I think we should have multilingual versions of Wikitravel, just like we have Wikipedia in many languages. For example, there could be Romanian version, as there are many Romanian contributors who would make a very worthwhile travel guide.
- I can actually set this up fairly easily, if there's enough interest in doing it. -- Evan 09:57, 3 Oct 2003 (PDT)
- It would be great to have a Romanian version - I spoke with the Wikipedians at the Romanian Wikipedia (by far the fastest growing Wikipedia) and they would of course set up the Wikitravel in Romania and contribute to get it starting - as you can see, the has already been good contribution to the Romania-related articles (Romania and Oradea), and we are planning to create both a full Romania travel guide in Wikitravel, and a world travel guide in Romanian. -- Ronline 12:08, 9 Oct 2003 (AEST)
I am planning to start a version of Wikitravel in Romanian. How would that be? Can anyone tell me how it is possible? Is it the same as starting a foreign language version in Wikipedia?
Ronline, 23 Oct 2003
- It'd be our first foreign-language version of Wikitravel, so we're starting from scratch. I think we can host it on the www.wikitravel.org server as ro.wikitravel.org, if that sounds OK. I think the big thing is setting up the language prompts. Give me a couple of days to get back to MTL, and then I can see about setting this up, OK? -- Evan 03:18, 23 Oct 2003 (PDT)
- Yeah, time isn't such a big deal here as long as we get the version done. Also, ro.wikitravel.org would be great. Of course, we'd have enough content to put on it after it gets set up. Ronline, 24 Oct 2003
- Concerning the Romanian version, what do you mean by setting up the language prompts (is this translating the interface in RO, or integrating the RO version by setting up automatic inter-language links like in Wikipedia)? Other than that, I'm ready for any translation/article creation necessary! - Ronline, 1 Nov 2003
- Yes, the "language prompts" is translating the interface -- all the little bits of text like "Save page" and "My watchlist" and things like that. I've copied the English version of the language prompts page here: http://ro.wikitravel.org/Language.php.txt You might want to download that, and look it over.
- Mostly it consists of lines like:
- "whatlinkshere" => "What links here",
- What you need to do is change these to:
- "whatlinkshere" => "However you say 'what links here' in Romanian",
- Try to only change the stuff that's inside the quotation marks on the right hand side. Also, don't worry about the long list of language names at the beginning, or the default settings, at the beginning, or any of the hoohaw at the end after "class Language".
- I still need to figure out how to set up a different database, and how to point ro.wikitravel.org at that instead of the English one. So that's gonna take me a couple of days. In other words, no hurry on the translation -- it doesn't have to be done yesterday. -- Evan 09:21, 1 Nov 2003 (PST)