I'm confused as to what the "local travel guide" means. Would this mean only having guides for places inside Portuguese-speaking countries? I'm not sure I agree with that -- I think having a Portuguese-language guide to Greenland would be useful and interesting. Portuguese speakers travel all over the world, so I don't see why we wouldn't have Portuguese-language guides for places all over the world. --Evan 16:43, 17 Sep 2004 (EDT)
- I'm gonna bump this again. I don't see a good reason not to cover the entire world. All our other language versions do, and I'm having a hard time seeing why this one wouldn't. --Evan 13:07, 22 Jun 2005 (EDT)
- I'm with Evan on this one. I think the focus on portuguese-speaking countries will inevitably develop as people tend to write more (and better) about their hometown/region/country. I can't see the point in restricting the sharing of travel knowledge among Portuguese-speakers. --Rmx 03:20 14 Oct 2005 (UCT)
- I've removed the "local only" restriction; comments or criticisms welcome. --Evan 09:13, 9 Nov 2005 (EST)
Why not translate the name?
What's the problem in translate the name to "Wikiviagem"? No... the name is NOT ugly! In the portuguese Wikibooks we translated it by "Wikilivros" and, of course, no one proposed that we may use it in the site's DNS! the adress continues to be pt.wikibooks.org...
João Jerónimo 11:10, 27 Nov 2004 (EST)
- We haven't translated any of the other Wikitravel versions. I think there's a discussion of it on Wikitravel talk:Language version policy. My personal feeling is that we can get more mileage out of the Wikitravel "brand" if all the language versions use it. But... --Evan 15:31, 27 Nov 2004 (EST)
Get this party started?
Hey, so, we have five signups, and we have two more tasks (language file, go-between). I'm willing to get pt: started as soon as those things are ready to go. --Evan 21:47, 27 Aug 2005 (EDT)
- I've re-written part of the expedition page to emphasize which steps still need to be finished. --Evan 09:12, 9 Nov 2005 (EST)
Translate those pages
Hi, I am starting to work on the Portuguese version of Wikitravel:Copyleft right now. Hope to get it finished soon. --Rmx 01:00 14 Oct 2005 (UCT)
- Done! Please check it out. The "freakazoid, mouthbreather, goofball" bit was particularly hard. Also, I couldn't insert the English interwiki. --Rmx 03:00 14 Oct 2005 (UCT)
- So, at this point, we just need the Wikitravel:LanguagePt.php file checked over to make sure Wikipedia has been changed to Wikitravel everywhere, and we need someone to step forward as go-between (cough cough), and this project is ready to go. I'm willing to put up a site within 12 hours of that process being finished. I really want this to happen.
- I think all the people who are signed up have email addresses available; we can get this going quite quickly. Rmx, why don't you offer to become the go-between (letting the other group member approve or disapprove), and we can get Pt moving? --Evan 11:07, 14 Oct 2005 (EDT)
- Are we can start or need to create something more? --Paulino Michelazzo 08:33, 09 Nov 2005 (GMT)
- We can't start until a) Wikitravel:LanguagePt.php has been properly localized for Wikitravel (mostly changing references to Wikipedia and encyclopedias to Wikitravel and travel guides and from the GFDL to Creative Commons) and b) someone steps forward to be the acting go-between. I don't think this is particularly hard to do. --Evan 08:26, 9 Nov 2005 (EST)
- Partly did work on LanguagePt. It still mentions enciclopedia, and I don't know how to correctly translate, but I think it's enough to start the thing - so that there is Portuguese community I can ask how to translate this... Guaka 18:30, 6 Jan 2006 (EST)
- I guess I kind of finished it. Please see Wikitravel_talk:LanguagePt.php for more details. Rmx 15:49, 25 Jan 2006 (EST)
- Excellent! Let's get this launched. --Evan 16:03, 25 Jan 2006 (EST)
Portuguese Wikitravel Expedition orphan pages
I notices that there are a number of pages with the namespace Pt:. At least one of them is an orphan. I am listing them here for future reference. I understand that these pages still need to be translated AFTER the laguage file is customised and before the Portuguese Wikitravel Expedition is set up. They are listed here so they do not get forgotten about. -- Huttite 20:50, 18 Nov 2005 (EST)
Since everybody has been mostly silent so far, I'm offering to be the go-between of the Portuguese version, if nobody opposes to it, of course. Still gotta get a grip of the reporting thing, though. Rmx 20:26, 18 Jan 2006 (EST)
- The basic minimum is "we're still here". B-) I'd strongly support having you do the job. --Evan 22:30, 18 Jan 2006 (EST)