So, what's happening here? Even though the structure of the French Wikitravel Expedition is good, it still hasn't been moving forward for weeks. Perhaps it would be necessary to speak with the large French Wikipedia community - perhaps place a notice on the front page mentioning this expedition so we can get more users to finally form the French Wikitravel. That's what happened with the Romanian Wikitravel - it was and still is "advertised" on the Wikipedia main page and it gathered users. So, good luck and hopefully we can get some progress with this expedition! Ronline 01:51, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- I just announced it on the Bistro. I'm not frequent enough on the French Wikipedia to put something on the main page, but hopefully that'll catch some eyes. -phma 09:22, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Actually, I am strongly against aggressive recruiting from Wikipedias. We have a fairly tenuous good relationship with Wikipedia as a whole, and I'd rather not have it damaged by looking like we're abusing their site to advertise this one. So, please be respectful if you decide you want to do this.
- I probably also need to remind folks that Wikitravel is not a Wikimedia project. We're not like Wikibooks or Wiktionary. We're something different. So, we're not part of the "family" at Wikimedia web sites; we're guests. --Evan 11:20, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Another reason why I put it on the Bistro. Putting a note on people's talk pages would be aggressive; putting it on the main page would be too bold; putting it on the Bistro isn't, I think. I first learned of Wikitravel because someone said that an article on Wikipedia belongs on Wikitravel. -phma 15:48, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Well, it's up to you what you want to do, but the Bistro listing seems to be working, as there are 3 users already! Hopefully, we can get 5 as soon as possible. Considering Wikipedia, I know we're not a Wikimedia project, but they really are related projects and many people here (me for example ;-) have come from Wikipedia and are still active at Wikipedia, so we have a good relationship with the main contributors of our language version of Wikipedia and can "recommend" Wikitravel to them. On Romanian Wikipedia anyway (I don't know if on others) important things and news can be put on the front page and people were actually very happy about Wikitravel in Romanian (well, in a way it was the second language version - national pride always attracts people ;-)
- But anyway, it's really, really good to see the French Wikitravel Expedition starting up. By the way, out of curiosity, where is the Bistro? Is it a place on French Wikipedia? Ronline 17:55, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Yes, I just looked at French Wikipedia - Bistro is like the Travellers' Pub. By the way, I am intent on starting an Estonian Wikitravel Expedition and will talk to the Estonian Wikipedia via similar means. Bonne chance avec le Wikitravel français, Ronline 18:00, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- The announcement has been taken off Bistro, which is very busy. Would someone like to announce it on Accueil? -phma 11:01, 26 Jan 2004 (EST)
So, I'd love to get this language version started. I don't think it'd be really responsible of me to join the Expedition, though, as I should probably stay focused on the whole shebang.
I'd like to start the interface translation process, though, so we could maybe get a quick start when Mystery Guest #5 finally signs up. Any objections?
By the way, I'd support waiving the 5-member rule if the 4 people who've signed up already expect that they can get the necessary work done -- help text, MoS, About, etc. -- in the first month or so, without a fifth helper. --Evan 16:43, 4 Feb 2004 (EST)
- So, what do to do now? Yann 09:19, 7 Feb 2004 (EST)
Interface files to translate
So, as mentioned before, we need to translate the interface file into French in order to set it up. I've put up the English Wikitravel interface file, as well as a starter French version, based on the file distributed with MediaWiki.
Probably the best way to attack this is just to go through the French Wikipedia version, and compare each entry to the one in the English Wikitravel version. If they're different, translate the the English Wikitravel version into French. Some good thing to look out for: license info, site name, etc.
Thanks for everyone helping out on this. --Evan 13:52, 5 Feb 2004 (EST)
- Hi, I remplaced all occurences of Wikipedia by Wikitravel, and GFDL by licence Creative Commons Share-Alike. It seems ok to me now. Yann 15:23, 5 Feb 2004 (EST)