The Travellers' pub is the place to ask questions when you're confused, lost, afraid, tired, annoyed, thoughtful, or helpful. Please check the FAQ and Help page before asking a question, though, since that may save your time and others'.
Please add new questions at the bottom of the page and sign your post by appending four tildes (~~~~) to it, but otherwise plunge forward!
Please sweep the pub
Keeping the Pub clean is a group effort. If we have too many conversations on this page, it will get too noisy and hard to read. If you see an old conversation (i.e. dormant for a month or more) that could or should be moved to another page, please do so, and note there that it has been swept in from the pub.
- A question regarding a destination article should be swept to the article discussion page
- A discussion regarding a policy or the subject of an expedition can be swept to the policy or expedition discussion page
- A simple question asked by a user can be swept to that user's talk page, but consider if the documentation needs a quick update to make it clearer for the next user with the same question.
- A pointer to a discussion going on elsewhere, such as a notice of a star nomination or or a request to comment on another talk page, can be removed when it is two months old. Any discussion that occurred in the pub can be swept to where the main discussion took place.
Any discussions that do not fall into any of these categories, and are not of any special importance for posterity, should be archived to Wikitravel:Travellers' pub/Archives and removed from here. If you are not sure where to put a discussion, leave it alone—it's better to spend your efforts on those that you do know where to place.
Happy 2014 from New Zealand to one and all!
This seems like a bit of a dead place now. Is that because of the heavy censorship - or is there some other reason? --184.108.40.206 16:36, 5 January 2014 (EST)
- Happy New Year If you check Special:RecentChanges, things are happening here: new pages have been added and miscellaneous helpful edits made every day. Feel free to add yourself. Koavf (talk) 16:38, 5 January 2014 (EST)
- There is a severe problem with spam robots. Unfortunately the reaction to this has been to make it harder and harder for non-logged in users to contribute - sometimes I give up after failing 7 Captcha tests... --220.127.116.11 16:46, 5 January 2014 (EST)
- Spam Tell me about it. That's why I'm an admin here. It's frustrating, no doubt. I didn't know anything about IPs having a hard time contributing... Have you brought this up at? Why do you edit with an IP? Koavf (talk) 17:48, 5 January 2014 (EST)
- I've been editing as an IP for many years, but less and less lately as the Captcha tests get more and more difficult for human beings to pass. Spam bots don't seem to have any difficulty since they pay people peanuts to register new accounts with unlikely account names that then lie fallow for several days until they are activated.
- Because I work for a New Zealand central government funded agency I am subject to heavy and intrusive government surveillance at work - including keystroke loggers. --18.104.22.168 23:09, 5 January 2014 (EST)
IP edits You probably know what's best for you but you could always make a throwaway account with a throwaway e-mail. Definitely let the tech guys know on Shared—they're always trying to improve the user experience around here. I wish I had more to offer you. Thanks for your patience in trying to help us build the travel guide. Koavf (talk) 23:37, 5 January 2014 (EST)