Wikitravel:Italian Wikitravel Expedition
The Italian Wikitravel Expedition is an expedition to create an Italian-language version of Wikitravel, per the Wikitravel:Language version policy.
An Italian-language Wikitravel would serve Italian-speakers by providing travel guides in their native language. In addition, native Italian speakers could provide travel information about destinations in Italy and elsewhere that could be translated to other languages.
This Expedition has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Italian-speaking users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep users on the English-language site up-to-date on developments on Italian Wikitravel, and vice-versa
- To translate the interface files for Wikitravel into Italian
- To launch the new German-language Italian.
- To translate help, policy, and navigation pages and create the infrastructure necessary to make Italian Wikitravel useful and friendly for new Italian-speaking contributors.
- To make Italian Wikitravel an integrated part of the Wikitravel family.
The Language version policy lists the steps necessary to get a Italian-language Wikitravel in place.
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 5 Italian-speaking users willing to help start the Italian Wikitravel. This means helping to translate the interface files, create content on the new Wikitravel, and to create the necessary infrastructure to make Wikitravel welcoming and useful for the next wave of contributors.
If you're interested, please create a user account on this (English) Wikitravel, and sign the list below. To sign, edit this page and just type ~ 4 times, like "~~~~".
- Sabine Cretella (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Benedetto Colicci Logan 19:55, 18 Nov 2004 (EST)
- Agostino64 Agostino
More than 5 users are welcome to sign up, but we need at least 5 to get started.
Part of the process of having a language version is having a single person responsible for reporting on issues in the larger Wikitravel community to the Italian language version, and reporting on issues in the Italian language version to the larger community.
The go-between should be conversant in English and Italian, experienced with Wikitravel in other languages, and willing to make monthly reports and be an active participant in the Italian Wikitravel community.
Language interface file
MediaWiki, the software that runs Wikitravel, uses a language interface file to make the links and names and prompts and stuff readable in other languages. We need to customize a new version to work for Italian Wikitravel.
We can collaboratively do this at Wikitravel:LanguageIt.php. It's started off with the Wikipedia language file, and we can use the English Wikitravel:Language.php file as a reference for things that need to be changed. It's mostly just changing the name of the site (Wikipedia -> Wikitravel), the name of the license, and the names of some important pages.