Difference between revisions of "Wikitravel:Hebrew Wikitravel Expedition"
(→Gathering a team of users)
(→Gathering a team of users: -seems more than five to me)
|Line 36:||Line 36:|
(to sign just type 4 time ~ below)
(to sign just type 4 time ~ below)
[[User:Yaron|Yaron]] 08:51, 26 Apr 2004 (EDT)
[[User:Abulehleh|Abulehleh]] 02:01, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
[[User:Yoniyakiri|Yoniyakiri]] 02:37, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
[[User:Danga|Danga]] 16:43, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
[[User:Motico|Motico]] 16:36, 11 Apr 2005 (EDT)
[[User:Israelish|Israelish]] 10:43, 28 Apr 2006 (UTC)
[[User:Ori Mosenzon|Ori Mosenzon]] 03:29, 4 July 2006 (EDT) (though I don't have much time)
Revision as of 10:16, 4 July 2006
The Hebrew Wikitravel Expedition is an expedition to create a Hebrew language version of Wikitravel which would effectively be the third multilingual version of Wikitravel.
For more information on Multilingual Wikitravel Policy, please see Wikitravel:Language version policy.
Israelis speak Hebrew as their mother tongue, and many find it difficult to read and write in English. Since there is an extraordinary number of Israeli backpackers all over the world, Hebrew speakers can share a vast amount of knowledge. Many Israeli travellers set up their own sites to share their knowledge and tips. A travel guide in Hebrew will make the information more accessible while allowing everyone to contribute.
The Hebrew Wikitravel has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Hebrew users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep English Wikitravel site up-to-date on developments on Hebrew Wikitravel, and vice-versa.
- To create the infrastructure necessary to make Hebrew Wikitravel useful and friendly for new contributors.
- To translate and localize the English Wikitravel into Hebrew.
- To create quality articles that will appeal to Israeli travellers.
- To link these articles to English and other versions and create an integrated multilingual Wikitravel.
- To empower other language groups to form their own Wikitravel.
- To contribute to English Wikitravel with quality articles about Israel and Jewish tradition and heritage.
See also Wikitravel:Language version policy for more information about the procedure of forming a Hebrew Wikitravel.
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 5 Hebrew-speaking users willing to contribute to Hebrew Wikitravel.
If you support this project, please log in (see How to create a user account -- it's really quick) and then add your name below, by choosing edit this page.
I agree to forming the Hebrew Wikitravel and am willing to contribute: (to sign just type 4 time ~ below)
- Yaron 08:51, 26 Apr 2004 (EDT)
- Abulehleh 02:01, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Yoniyakiri 02:37, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Danga 16:43, 16 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Motico 16:36, 11 Apr 2005 (EDT)
- Israelish 10:43, 28 Apr 2006 (UTC)
- Ori Mosenzon 03:29, 4 July 2006 (EDT) (though I don't have much time)
The interface localization file has to be translated (or modified from the one on Wikipedia), checked for correctness, and then we will vote for a go-between.
LanguageHe.php is for creating this collaboratively. It's started with the Wikipedia language interface file, but it needs to be changed to match Wikitravel.
For comparison, the English file is at Wikitravel:LanguageEn.php. Major things to watch for:
- Replacing "Wikipedia" with "Wikitravel"
- Differences in license policy (GFDL versus CC by-sa)
Choosing a go-between
In order to make a successful, integrated Hebrew Wikitravel, we need to choose one of the five users who put their names down, and make them a go-between. The role of the go-between will be to act as a liaison between English and Hebrew Wikipedia, and therefore, he must be able to:
- Write English and Hebrew well
- Understand Wikitravel ideals, guidelines, goals and policies
- Make monthly reports about Hebrew Wikitravel to English Wikitravel
- Make monthly reports about English Wikitravel to Hebrew Wikitravel
- Contribute actively in Hebrew Wikitravel
The go-between will be chosen the democratic way: via voting
The candidates for go-between will be the users willing to contribute. To win, a go-between must have two votes for them, and no votes against them. Only people who nominated themselves under the "Gathering a team" section can vote. And remember, you cannot vote for yourself.
If you find this idea compelling, you are welcome to notify your friends, write about it in forums etc...
If will also be nice if someone translate this page into Hebrew and put it on his site (with a link to here and from here).