Wikitravel:French Wikitravel Expedition
The French Wikitravel Expedition is an expedition to create a French language version of Wikitravel which would effectively be the second multilingual version of Wikitravel.
For more information on Multilingual Wikitravel Policy, see Wikitravel:Language version policy.
French is an important international language, being spoken in not only France and neighboring Switzerland and Belgium, but also Québec, several African countries, Laos, and some islands in Polynesia. A travel guide in French will make the world more accessible to Francophones.
The French Wikitravel has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of French users willing to take this project further
- To translate and localize the English Wikitravel into French.
- To create quality articles that will appeal to Francophone travellers, wherever they come from.
- To link these articles to English and Romanian versions and create an integrated multilingual Wikitravel.
- To empower other language groups to form their own Wikitravel.
- To contribute to English Wikitravel with quality articles about France, Switzerland, Québec, and anywhere else French is spoken.
See also Wikitravel:Language version policy for more information about the procedure of forming a French Wikitravel.
Completed: Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 5 French-speaking users willing to contribute to French Wikitravel.
Please add your name below, by editing this page, if you support this project. You must have a valid user account with Wikitravel.
I agree to forming the French Wikitravel and am willing to contribute:
- Pierre Abbat 17:07, 22 Dec 2003 (PST)
- Mark 10:58, 15 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Yann 14:32, 18 Jan 2004 (EST)
- Pontauxchats 07:56, 20 Jan 2004 (EST)
- nikolai35 18:35, 5 Feb 2004 (EST)
After we have gathered a team of five or more users for French Wikitravel, the interface localization file will be translated (or modified from the one on Wikipedia), checked for correctness, and then we will vote for a go-between.
The localization file is at Wikitravel:LanguageFr.php; an initial version based on the French Wikipedia interface file is already at that spot. For comparison, the English file is at Wikitravel:LanguageEn.php. Major things to watch for:
- Replacing "Wikipedia" with "Wikitravel"
- Differences in license policy (GFDL versus CC by-sa)
Choosing a go-between
In order to make a successful, integrated French Wikitravel, we need to choose one of the five users who put their names down, and make them a go-between. The role of the go-between will be to act as a liaison between English and French Wikipedia, and therefore, he must be able to:
- Write English and French well
- Understand Wikitravel ideals, guidelines, goals and policies
- Make monthly reports about French Wikitravel to English Wikitravel
- Make monthly reports about English Wikitravel to French Wikitravel
- Contribute actively in French Wikitravel
The go-between will be chosen the democratic way: via voting
The five candidates for go-between are the users listed below. If you would like to vote one of these people, please put your username next to their name, in the Votes for section. If you would like to make a vote against someone, please write your username next to their name in the Votes against line and then a reason for this. To win, a go-between must have two votes for them, and no votes against them. Only people who nominated themselves under the "Gathering a team" section can vote. And remember, you cannot vote for yourself.
Pick a user who you would like to see as go-between:
- Vote for Pierre Abbat
- Vote for Mark
- Votes for:
- Votes against: Mark
- Vote for Yann
- Vote for Pontauxchats
- Votes for:
- Votes against:Pontauxchats [je ne parle pas assez bien l'anglais]
- Vote for nikolai35
Voting will finish only once person listed above has voted - that is, Pierre, Mark, Yann, Pontauxchats, and Nikolai. Therefore, please put in your votes as soon as possible, because the Wikitravel in French will becoming online sooner.
It would also be nice, but is not necessary, to have a go-between between the French Wikitravel and the Romanian Wikitravel.